2009 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Apr 152011

Malibu 6-cyl

Intermittently, the brake light will come on and remain lit solidly until the pedal is depressed, then it goes off -- acting opposite of the way it should. At night, the light is visible in the rear-view mirror and we can see it come on. We then depress the brake pedal and it will remain on tail lights only for a few minutes, then it glows brightly again as though the driver were depressing the brake pedal. When the light is on tail lights only, the brake light will illuminate correctly when the pedal is depressed and the brakes appear to be effective. There is an occasional "service traction control" and "service ESC" light that appears on the instrument panel. When the fault codes are scanned with an ABS braking system code reader, it yields a C-0131 anti-lock brake system pressure circuit malfunction. This problem seems pretty prevalent with late model Chevrolet vehicles from what I have read on the internet, but the repair procedure is not clear to anyone who is experiencing this problem. Some say that it is a $1,000+ dealer repair item and that the problem tends to occur at the end of the 36,000 mile warranty period, just like ours did. It is extremely annoying and distracting to other drivers, some of whom pull alongside and say that the brake light is working "opposite" of the way it should. The brakes seem effective, but in case of a loss of traction, skid, etc., I am not sure what the result might be to the electronic stability control or the traction control -- both of which we keep turned off to minimize any problem until I can locate an appropriate fix. It seems that a recall of these vehicles is in order.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Nov 122011

Malibu 4-cyl

Backing out of a parking spot power steering gave out. Service ESC light came on. Power steering message lit. Pulled into parking spot shut car off. Started car seconds later - no warning lights on and power steering was back but did not feel right. Turned wheel while parked and ESC and power steering warning lights illuminated. Tried again, same thing. Had to drive 2 miles to home with no power steering. Outside temperature was 34 degrees at the time.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Mar 012011

Malibu

Have told the dealership of these problems with the service airbag and service traction. Also I sent an email to the Chevrolet headquarters and received a call from them telling me that it was my repair not their fault. This past Friday the 20th I took the car again to the dealership as the service airbag light has been on constantly for the past two weeks. I was informed that the module was bad and I would have to pay $250 dollars ( my deductible since I have the extended warranty, paid extra for that when we bought the car). How can a module be bad on a 2 year old car is the issue I am having and why I have to pay to fix/replace it. I could understand if the car was older, but feel anything electronic that goes wrong with a car today now falls on the consumer.

- Dickson, TN, USA