2.2

2009 Chevrolet Malibu drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 012010

Malibu

Ongoing issue that dealership cannot diagnose or repair -- transmission will slip out of gear, resulting in a loss of power; car behaves as if it is in neutral. If pressure is removed from accelerator, transmission will re-engage. Since incident is intermittent and unpredictable, dealer has not been able to replicate. I have asked them multiple times if other 2009 Malibu have the same problem and have been told no. Given recent events I am skeptical now of that answer. Because power to the vehicle is lost, this can be very dangerous and I would like to know if other gms with the six-speed transmission (new on the 2009 model, I believe) are experiencing this problem.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 162010

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering train, I personally purchase new last one, end of the year vehicle on the available list.

- Durand , WI, USA

Jan 292010

Malibu 4-cyl

My service engine light has been on continuously because of my ignition switch is malfunctioning; at times it locks up disallowing me to be able to start my car or remove my keys. I have had issues with the camshaft actuators and has since been replaced on the engine; but this car is still malfunctioning. Also, my low beam headlight will not come on, on the passengers side of my vehicle after the bulb has been replaced. All of GM cars made between 2008-2012, needs to be recalled for these issues not just some but all!

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Sep 262013

Malibu 4-cyl

I own a 2009 Chevy Malibu and vehicle was taken to a Chevy service center for fuel smell on the exterior of vehicle on 09-2013. Chevy service center found cause fuel pump module cracked and replaced faulty part at no charge and stated that it was covered under power train warranty. NHTSA/GM recalled 40,000. 2007-2009 Chevy colbalts and other twin vehicles in 09-2012 for faulty fuel pump modules that crack and cause fuel leaks that has a potential of igniting a fire. I'm here to file a complaint against GM and make the public aware of other vehicles in the GM family that are not listed in the recall and advising NHTSA to further investigate 2007-2009 Chevy Malibu.

- Irving , TX, USA

Sep 142012

Malibu

Within a one year period, had to have all 4 wheel bearings replaced, a strut, and the front sway bar linkage. 2009 Malibu ltz, 3.6 L V6 with approx. 32,000 miles.

- Washington, DC, USA

May 022013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder where it was shut down and restarted but to no avail. The contact also stated that the vehicle rolled away while in park. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 09V073000 (power train). The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Westminster, MA, USA

Feb 212013

Malibu

I purchased a used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu in 2011. On February 21, 2013, I took my car to ourisman Chevrolet in marlow heights, md due to a recall notice related to the transmission. My invoice says they repaired the cable kit. On July 29, 2013 I pulled into a service station for gas in North Carolina. All pumps were taken. I waited. A car pulled out so I put my car in reverse to back up in order to get to the pump. When I tried to put the car in drive, the gear shift would move, however, the car remained stuck in reverse. I had to back up to the side of the gas station to move out of the way. I put the emergency brake on because the car would not go into park. I turned off the ignition, then tried to restart it. The car would not start because is was not in park. I called my brother for help. He noticed the shift cable had come apart. He used a twist tie, a washer, and a rubber cap that he found in his vehicle to repair the shift cable so that I could hopefully make it back home. It worked.the next day I made an appointment (07/31/13) to take the car back to ourisman to fix the cable. That invoice states that I need a shifter cable. According to ourisman, this part is not covered under the initial recall. The shift cable adjustment clip broke off somehow. The cable is still intact. That's why my brother was able to fix it enough to get me back home. I was told by the customer service technician that the part broke due to normal wear and tear. In the past, I've owned a Chevrolet cavalier for 12 years, and a Chevrolet Beretta for 8 years. Neither car had this problem of "normal wear and tear". it's a defect. The 2/21/13 invoice says replaced cable kit. The 7/31/13 invoice says "needs shifter cable". the bottom line is the shift cable adjustment clip broke off the shifter cable. Why is this not covered under the recall? it's a piece of the same part.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Nov 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

Bought vehicle new 01/09, 3 mon. Later received letter from GM citing recall for transmission shift cable, took vehicle to dealer and they replaced. Recall id # 78844 - power train:automatic transmission:lever and linkage:column shift no problems with vehicle until 12/12 driving on interstate at approx. 50 mph vehicle began to shift hard/erratic with RPM gage going to 6-7 before vehicle would shift/accelerate, check engine, ABS, check tire pressure lights all came on. Called onstar was told there nothing indicated on diagnostics report and to contact GM. Contacted GM was told there was another recall on my vehicle for recall id # 94402 - power train:automatic transmission:gear position indication (prndl). Took vehicle to dealer, dealer said they could not replicate problem I was having and would not have parts until late Jan. To fix recall if that was in fact the issue. Told by dealer that erratic shifting is a normal problem with those vehicles. On 4/2/13 car will not go in park completely and ignition will not turn to "off" position, cannot remove key from ignition. Contacted GM was told there were no active recalls on my vehicle because original recall from 2009 fixed the shift cable and replacement part was only covered by GM for 12 months. GM said second recall was not attached to VIN# and therefore my vehicle was not affected although GM rep and dealer verified it was in Nov 2012. GM said to take to dealer and get diagnostic report and they would go from there but issue would probably not be covered if it has something to do with shift cable because warranty of 12 mon. On replacement parts has expired. If GM knows there is a continuous problem with this make/model and this component then it should be covered regardless. How many times should you have to take vehicle in for same set of issues. If GM does not own this problem I will never buy a GM vehicle again!

- Weaverville, NC, USA

Oct 052011

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the service traction, service ESC and ESC off warning lamps illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician advised that the body control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but only offered to cover part of the repair costs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 67,000...updated 01/16/2013 the consumer stated when the driver's foot is on the brake the brake lights go off. Upon taking foot off the brake the brake lights stay on. This happens when the service traction light comes on. Updated 1/28/2013

- Detroit , MI, USA

Dec 042012

Malibu 4-cyl

Odor from leaking cooling system. Car pulls to left. Driver does seat not adjust with the control. Front tires are worn down cords showing. Bought car at ourisman chev. Car dealer (34,523 miles) with platinum coverage. Car current (49,512 miles). They insisted that I should pay for new tires$295. Transmission flush $249. Fuel induction service $179. Coolant hose$10. That my plan only cover surge tank which I have to pay $100 deductible. I brought the car 5/17/12. Reading through complaints 2009 Malibu have similar car problem. I don't have the funds for all these problem for a car that own for this short period of time.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Jan 132012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that she was unable to shift from park to drive. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 81,000.

- La Fayette, LA, USA

Oct 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked while decelerating at low speeds. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle would not reverse on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on numerous occasions, but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Front Royal, VA, USA

Aug 052010

Malibu 6-cyl

The event leading up to : turning right from side street the car lunges into the left lane when accelerating. The failure occurs every time when the car takes off from a stop to enter into freeway. Steering wheel rotates with fast action clock wise 360 degrees.what was done took car to 4 dealers all said it meets the specifications of the car. Car dealer said it was a glitch corporate said there was nothing they can do. Updated 10/05/10 the consumer stated the vehicle pull to the right. Updated 10/07/10

- Seattle, WA, USA