2.2

2009 Chevrolet Malibu drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 182016

Malibu

Vehicle shut off while I was driving on city street to pick up my daughter from school, and has not started since. No traction, service ESC and power loss messages appeared on the dash display. The dealer was unable to communicate with the onboard computers.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While the cruise control was activated, it randomly deactivated. Also, when the brake pedal was depressed, the center brake light would not illuminate and the rear brake lights illuminated very dimly. The contact also indicated that the transmission was replaced due to failures that prevented the vehicle from accelerating normally. No further information was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 222016

Malibu

The wave plate had fractured at 114,000 miles according to the repair shop and my transmission needs to be completely replaced. The vehicle will not go over 30mph and will not go in reverse. I cannot afford a repair of this magnitude and everyone I have talked with said this should not have happened with this many miles. I have had this car for less than 3 years. I see there are many complaints. How do I find out if my car is covered for the 10yr/120K warranty?

- Lapeer, MI, USA

May 102015

Malibu

Door locks and windows stopped working in suspect due to some electrical problems. And when I'm on the gas it won't pick up any speed and I think that's due to the cam shaft. And I know im not the only one having the same problems with the same car. It's really becoming a problem

- Dekalb, MS, USA

Feb 022016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While the vehicle was stopped at a red light, the check engine, traction control off, and stability control off warning lights illuminated. While the vehicle was parked on a hill, it independently rolled backwards without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The contact stated that the passenger side headlight failed to operate intermittently. The contact mentioned that the bulb was replaced multiple times, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness was burned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 09V073000 (power train) and 12V460000 (power train). The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 022016

Malibu

I put my car in reverse it backed out of my driveway fine but as I shifted gear from reverse to drive my engine would rev but I wouldn't go anywhere and as I took my foot off the gas it would roll back even after I put it in park it would act like it wanted to roll back. Also the window locks wouldn't open if the car was in park and key out of ignition.....

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Aug 012015

Malibu

Timing chain broke in 2015 totaling the motor of the car- had to have motor replaced cost thousands of dollars. Car stalled when putting it into park in a parking spot and would start after that- no previous issues.

- Hornell, NY, USA

May 062016

Malibu

2009my Malibu, timing chain broken. Other issues including valves, both front outer tie rods, alignment, A/C compressor, both sway bar links, right front axle seal, and rea brake pads

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Apr 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various highway speeds and braking, the vehicle would not accelerate over 30 mph. The contact stated that the acceleration would be delayed and the vehicle would jerk prior to accelerating from a completed stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wave plate had fractured and the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 102015

Malibu

When hooked up to the computer it threw the code transmission control module. The car is stuck in one gear, sometimes it is 1st gear sometimes it is 5th gear. You never know when you start the car andealers take off what gear it will be in.

- Fredericktown, MO, USA

Feb 052016

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the transmission failed without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the wave plate in the transmission had fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,399. Updated 04/11/16

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Jan 202016

Malibu

Hard shift developing between 4th & 5th gear as well as reverse beginning to slip. There is a 10 year/120,000 mile campaign issued by GM concerning the 6T45 as well as the 6T70 / 75 transmissions concerning defective 3-5-R wave plates, but does not include the 6T40 transmission which my vehicle has. The defective internal parts in question are shared between the 6T40 as well as the 6T45 so I dont understand how my model transmission is not included in this campaign to solve this known issue.

- Highland, MI, USA

Jan 272014

Malibu

Transmission bell housing and torque converter seals. Why was the transmission not under warranty for this repair. I purchased the car at 36,045 miles, at 78,798 miles this transmission pan leakage occurs. This result in 3rd gear shift slipping. Rendering me to pay a total to roger dean of $1,234.15, mind you the seals were $30 and the labor $1086.40. There must have been a defect in the seals for that situation to occur in the transmission. Please investigate. Purchase car from roger dean on 7/30/11 at 36,045 miles. Had repairs done on 1/28/14 at 78,798 miles.

- Riviera Beach, FL, USA

Oct 232015

Malibu

October 23, 2015, my wife was driving the 2009 Malibu to work when, all of a sudden, the transmission would not shift. She was able to get to the side of the road and stopped. She tried to go forward and the car stayed in first gear. She stopped tried to back up and it would not go. She called me and, I was able to get the car home slowly in first gear. We knew the warranty was done as of the 5 years but only had 65,000 miles on it. So, after reading on line about dealerships using used parts to fix the transmission, we chose atlas transmission to do the work. We were told the wave plate broke basically taking out the trans and needed a new trans. $2808 later we had the car fixed. I contacted Chevrolet anf GM about this since I read the coverage on the 6 speed automatic was extended to 10 years or 120,000 miles. I was told my car was not in that recall and they couldnt do anything to help me since it was a government mandated coverage because it was a safety issue. Really"-- my wife breaking down in traffic on the highway was not a safety issue? --really?-- I am very dissappointed in Chevrolet and General Motors. I have driven their cars for 40 years! --a known problem with the wave plate, a transmission replaced at 65,000 miles because of the known problem. $2808 cash out of my pocket because of a known problem and they cant do anything for me ? I think that sucks! I was offered a gift card for the service department or to buy accessories for my car as compensation for the problem. --really"--- wow, I thought GM would step up to the plate on this one, especially because they were covering other transmissions with the same problem. --well, they definately lost me as a future customer. I traded it in om a new Ford escape for my wife. A much better choice as I see it. Im sure they will take better care of their customers, ---as they did in the past.

- Middleburg Hts, OH, USA

Nov 062015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. When the contact placed the vehicle into park and then back into drive, the shifter moved but the transmission did not change gears. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V460000 (power train). The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the shift cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 192015

Malibu

While driving the car at 55 mph it started jumping/skipping while I was driving on a 3 lane highway and then it just died. I couldn't get it in reverse and it wouldn't shift at all. The electrical information on the dash went out as well. I had to arrange a tow. I'm being told it needs a new transmission and there is electrical failure as well. The car has 86,000 miles on it and has been serviced routinely. How does a transmission go from working to dead in seconds?

- Crofton, MD, USA

Oct 282015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle began to slow down independently and came to a complete stop. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that a wave plate within the transmission had disintegrated. As a result, the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 117,500.

- Orian, MI, USA

Oct 052015

Malibu

One October 5, 2015 owner was driving at or around 35mph when the vehicles, ESC, check engine light, and brake dashboard icons came on. Then car then lost engine power, and would not accelerate. Owner then cruised the car to the side of the road, where turned the key to the off position and then tried to restart it. Owner tried turning the key to restart the vehicle multiple times over the course of 15 minutes and the vehicle would not start. Finally, the vehicle restarted and the owner was able to drive off the freeway and contacted the GM customer service number to report the incident.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the vehicle slipped gears and stalled. The contact activated the emergency brakes in order to stop the vehicle safely. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the shift cable fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 123, 000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 152015

Malibu

My car stopped being able to shift. I pulled over and lost the ability to reverse as well. The mechanic confirmed it was my transmission, and recommended I take it to the dealership B/C Chevy consistently has problems with transmissions and there was a "special coverage adjustment". my particular VIN did not qualify to be repaired by Chevy/GM although it was the exact same issues that the "special coverage" paperwork described. Do not buy a Chevy or GM vehicle. They refuse to own up to any issues with their parts. Their poor quality standards don't stop at the assembly line, they go right on through to customer service as well.

- Chicago , IL, USA