2009 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Sep 072010

Malibu 4-cyl

I bought this car in June 2010 and the first thing to happen was the battery exploded in 09/2010. A few months later a my car was broken into because I did not realize that when I lock my doors that all locks but 1. the next thing that happend was the front head light shorted out, not the actual head light but the socket that the light goes into and that happend around 03/2012. Around January 2013 I was stopped beside my daughter school and a man pulled over and told me that my brake lights had been on for a few miles. I did not realize this and could not see this unless I was driving at night. I rarely drive at night but when I was driving at night I noticed when you get to a certain speed the brake lights will come on and and then go off if you tap the brake and then come back on and stay on until whenever they decide to go off. Sometimes they will be on when you crank up the car. It concerns me because what if they brake light fail all together. It seems like there is some kind of eletrical malfuntion with this car. I have researched online and find many people have the same issue with lights coming on in the care at sporadic time times as well as the brake light issue. I called GM, they took the info but offered no assistance. I really believe a recall or some type of investigation should be done on this. I know people that have gotten behind the same car I drive and they see they brake lights continously on like my car. This is very dangerous.

- Clinton, NC, USA

Apr 112013

Malibu 4-cyl Diesel

Recently, I experienced a failed door locking actuator in my 2009 Chevy Malibu while driving my 2yr old to daycare. I was turning right out of my neighborhood, when my door(driver's door) swung open. I grabbed it and tried shutting, but the locking mechanism was locked, so it wouldn't shut. I pulled over and had to manually unlock the door so my door would shut. I couldn't even imagine if this situation occurred to a door in the backseat with my daughter sitting there in her child seat. Fast forward one week, and now 3 of my 4 locking actuators are failed. I did some research on the internet and noticed that there are numerous complaints from Malibu owners about these failed locking actuators. I then started to wonder if there was a recall on this. I called GM and they said there isn't a recall and that is just normal part failure. Normal part failure"!"! I've had the car for less than 4 years and have only put 45K miles on it. In my opinion, this is a major safety issue.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Aug 012012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the doors would sporadically become locked and unlocked independently. Additionally, the contact noticed a burning odor inside the vehicle and the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to dealer for inspection and the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 90,000. The current mileage was 100,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

I had a problem with the brake light function. When driving, the brake lights would be on. When pressing the brake, the lights would turn off. I had to pay to have a switch replaced by the dealership to fix this issue.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

May 102011

Malibu 4-cyl

Cruise control disengaged. Third brake light came on and brake lights came on. Would not go off. After a period of time ( 30 minutes or so ) the brake light went off. People have told us numerous times we had no brake lights. This has happened a lot of times since then. Dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong.

- Germfask, MI, USA

Feb 212013

Malibu 6-cyl

Heating element of heated seat feature burned a hole completely through the front of the driver's seat back. The hole is centered in the lower lumbar area of the seat back.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jan 292013

Malibu 6-cyl

Driver side and passenger side automatic door locks have failed. Intermittently, opening any of the four doors at any given time will cause all locks to engage.

- Bowdon, GA, USA

Jan 222013

Malibu

My rear driver door lock will not activate. Only manually. Very dangerous. It seems to be a very common thing with these cars. They have bad actuators. This should be a recall by General Motors...

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Dec 102012

Malibu 4-cyl

Both passenger side doors locks only stopped working electrically and only work manually, I began to notice this about two weeks ago, they were only working about half the time. I took it to the dealer and they told me the car is out of warranty, and even its a common problem they want me to pay roughly $500 dollars for the repair. I think this is a safety concern because in the event of a traffic collision I will not be able to get my kids out of the vehicle quickly since you cannot unlock the rear doors through the outside of the vehicle manually with a key. I contacted GM customer service and addressed my concern to no avail. I don't think it is right for a 3 year old car to be having such problems, I also own a 1996 Honda civic whose doors still work properly"? thank you.. there are a lot of unsatisfied customers on this forum....www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php"T=7950.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

May 092012

Malibu 6-cyl

The power locks on the car would not unlock the doors, leaving the passengers trapped inside. We were unable to open the doors manually, electrically or even with inserting the key into the door. Passengers had to crawl out of the windows. After trying the key and remote numerous times the driver side door unlocked but would not relatch when the door was closed or even after starting the engine and placing the transmission in gear. The locks sound like they engage and disengage leaving one to think every thing is okay but, it is not. This a serious safety hazard and one that could be life threatening.

- Berlin, NH, USA

Jan 312012

Malibu

After lowering the left-side passenger window several inches, I was unable to raise it via the driver's door control panel. I could make it descend all the way using that panel but not ascend at all. I was able to raise the window only by using the left-side passenger door switch; the driver's door control panel was useless for that particular window only.

- South Jordan , UT, USA

Dec 202011

Malibu 4-cyl

The car door locks cycle on and off at any given time. Mostly stays unlocked, although the other day it did lock me in the car this was just as frightening as them not being locked. I can be stopped a stop light or driving 70 mph and the locks are cycling on and off. The unlock/lock bottom in the door panel does not work. I feel very unsafe with my door locks cycling on/off. I work downtown by the county jail and I feel very unsafe driving anywhere down there with my doors unlocked. I park in a parking garage that has had some theft, I hope my car does not get robbed. I also have small children that ride in the car and feel unsafe driving around the city or highways with the doors unlocked. I hope the doors don't fly open or if in a wreck there would be nothing preventing the doors from opening. I need to take this car on a five hour road trip next weekend, with kids in the car, the sound of the locks cycling on/off will be a distraction while driving. I hope this problem can be repaired soon. I have read many Chevy Malibu's with this same problem and when I called GM regarding this issue they know of this problem, unsure if the are going to help me at this point. I take my car to the dealership on Monday. I sure hope GM and the car dealership sees this as a safety issue. A well known GM lock malfunction and repairs this problem at their cost.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Dec 202011

Malibu 4-cyl

The car door locks cycle on and off at any given time. Mostly stays unlocked, although the other day it did lock me in the car this was just as frightening as them not being locked. I can be stopped a stop light or driving 70 mph and the locks are cycling on and off. The unlock/lock bottom in the door panel does not work. I feel very unsafe with my door locks cycling on/off. I work downtown by the county jail and I feel very unsafe driving anywhere down there with my doors unlocked. I park in a parking garage that has had some theft, I hope my car does not get robbed. I also have small children that ride in the car and feel unsafe driving around the city or highways with the doors unlocked. I hope the doors don't fly open or if in a wreck there would be nothing preventing the doors from opening. I have read many Chevy Malibu's with this same problem and when I called GM regarding this issue they know of this problem, unsure if the are going to help me at this point. I take my car in on Monday. I sure hope GM sees this as safety issue and fixes this problem at their cost.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jul 162011

Malibu

Driving down the road the dash light will just go off and on, the power door locks stop working the power windows stop working the radio will just turn on when it wants to and the volume control will not work so when it turns on its at the peak volume. This is extremely dangerous. Chevrolet will not do anything about it. Its past its warranty.

- Fl, FL, USA

Aug 012011

Malibu

The brake lights on my daughter's 2009 Chevrolet Malibu come on while she is driving & her cruise control stops working. She took her car into the dealer & 2 other people were there with the same complaint. The service dept. Said it was fixed but the same day as she picked it up, it happened again. While driving down the highway @ 70 mph with the cruise on, the brake lights come on and stay on until she presses the brake pedal. The brake lights go out while she is applying the brakes & come back on when she releases the brake pedal. Also, she also can no longer set her cruise control. After the vehicle has been parked for a few hours, the cruise & brake lights work properly. Anyone following her, especially @ night, might assume that she is stopping while driving & driving whilst stopping. I am concerned that this could cause a fire if the problem is electrical in nature, (both taillight bulbs have recently burnt out or shorted out & been replaced). I am very concerned that this could cause a serious accident.

- Clio, MI, USA

Jul 152011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle would down shift while accelerating. As a result, the vehicle would suddenly decelerate. In order to shift the vehicle back into its proper gear, the contact had to shift the vehicle into manual mode and use the optional pedal shifts. The contact also stated that the brake lights would illuminate when the brake pedal was not being depressed and the traction control and electronic stability control lights intermittently illuminated on the instrument panel. An authorized dealer was notified and the contact was informed that the body control module may need to be replaced. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jan 252011

Malibu

Car will not start, door locks lock and unlock w/out prompts, light flash on and off, radio goes on and off, & interior lights dim. These symptoms occurred twice before... once in the fall and once about 7 days ago. Previously (summer 20101) the power windows would not function - dealer stated it was a pinched wire. I also noticed a few weeks back the instruments could not be read during the day w/out turning on the headlights.

- Labadie, MO, USA

Dec 262010

Malibu

I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu the power locks has been locking and unlocking while the vehicle is in motion causing safety issues for me and my young children that are passengers in my vehicle.

- Opelousas, LA, USA

Jan 162010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact was driving 60 mph when the vehicle began to jerk abnormally followed by unintended acceleration. The dealer reloaded the transmission software. The contact stated that after repairs, the vehicle would not properly shift gears and when downshifting, the vehicle would abnormally accelerate. The contact was able to apply the brakes to stop the unintended acceleration. The dealer reloaded the transmission software a second time but to no avail. In addition, the contact stated that the power windows would intermittently fail, the fuel level gauge was inoperable and the air conditioner would not engage. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the contact was awaiting the rebuilding of the transmission and repairs to all failed components. The failure mileage was 12,000 and the current mileage was 25,000.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 082010

Malibu

I have a 2009 Malibu, recently experiencing electrical problems with the windows. This problem creates a safety risk for me and my family. The windows will not go up or down, the repair shops states there was a blown fuse which they said was replaced. Windows worked for a while. Same problem occurred in same day. Car remained in shop for a week. Drove car for about a week problem occurred again, this is a safety hazard, hope real problem is discovered. Also complained about squeaky brakes but there was no problem found.

- Memphis, TN, USA