2.4

2009 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 032010

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights come on without pressing the brake pedal. When you push on the pedal the lights go out. While on the speed control will not work. Several other issues with the BCM. GM announced a recall on this vehicle on May 15, 2014 but the NHTSA website letter on that date letter nvs-215ks / 14V-252 stated that GM must notify the owners within 60 days. It has been 60 days and there has not been a notification. This issue has been in the shop under warranty approx. 5 times and I have had to also repair the same issue. Now the car is not drive able because if I place it in park it will not go in reverse. This is also due to the same BCM problem. If they (GM) has 60 days, why have they not recalled this vehicle? I took it to the GM dealer and gave them the recall number found on the internet and was told they have no information about it. How can I get this information but their own dealers can't.

- Eads, TN, USA

Jul 052014

Malibu

I was driving down the freeway between 70 & 75 mph. I heard brakes screeching behind me. I then realized that my cruz had also went off. I knew that my brake lights had come on for no reason again as they had in the past. I was sure cars were going to start rear ending each other because they thought I had slammed on my brakes. When this is occurring with my vehicle the brake lights are off when I'm stopped at a light or a stop sign and the brake lights come on when I take my foot off the brakes. The car will jerk like it is trying to stall. The RPM's will surge to 4000 while at the same time the car is slowing down. The cruz will not engage when the brake lights are on. These problems only occurs when the brake lights will not go off.

- Pierson, MI, USA

Dec 102013

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving at 70 mph with cruise control engaged, the third brake light in the rear window would randomly come on causing the cruise control to shut off. Soon after this happens I get warnings on the dash to service the ecs and traction control system. It has been getting gradually worse and with the brake light activating, could cause drivers behind me to think I am stopping when I am not. This problem was mentioned in an article in usa today a couple of weeks ago, that GM will be issuing a recall for.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Jun 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

After filing two complaints with you, and receiving a recall alert from you, I am being told by GM that my vehicle, a 2009 Malibu built between the years specified in your recall notice, is not included in the recall you alerted me about. How is this possible? the referenced recall # 14V252000, as he experienced the same malfunction, as described in the recall. The consumer has invoices, that date bate to 2011, where he had to take the vehicle, back to the dealer several times, for an inoperable cruise control and ESC lighting illuminating. Updated 07/16/14

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Apr 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

When driving the alert will sound alerting that engine power has been reduced. The electronic stability control is then turned off and traction control is lost. When the accelerator is pushed it hesitates before accelerating.

- Conway, AR, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu

For the last year or so I have been having issues with my brake lights ingaging and my cruise control inoperable. I currently have a 2009 Malibu. A friend was driving behind me once and mentioned later that I was riding my brakes all the way home. I was not. I notice a few days later this happened again, but it was dusk and I could see from my rear window the reflection of my break light, it was on and my brake was not ingaged. This has happened several other times, to my knowledge. If I tap my brakes the lights will go off, however will come back on within a few seconds. I'm highly concerned about a rear end collision. If I actually do have to stop quickly and the person behind me hitting me because my break lights are not functioning properly. I've taken it in to a mechanic and they can't replicate the issues. It's intermittent.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 162013

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights will come on randomly. This also causes the cruise control to kick off. The lights will stay on for varying lengths.

- Walnut , IA, USA

Sep 022013

Malibu

The cruise control was malfunctioning and after researching the problem I discovered that the brake lights could also be affected. When applying the brake the light in the rear window would actually go completely off. The repair is described in tsb 08-05-22-009C and was completed. The problem appears to be fixed. However it appears there was a previous recall for this type of problem with earlier General Motors models and the problem is still recurring. Chevrolet has not send any kind of notice to owners about this potentially dangerous situation. The computer code C0131 is activated when this occurs.

- Twin Falls , ID, USA

Aug 082013

Malibu 4-cyl

2009 Malibu brake lights stay on while driving then when I press my brakes the lights would go off no one knew when I was using my brakes. This was brought to my attention when I was on a major hwy/speed limit 70 mph when all of a sudden traffic was stopping. The cars behind me were coming at a high speed, but luckily the car directly behind me just short of crashing into my rear missed me.. he got out of his car while the traffic was stopped and approached me to let me know I had no break lights and he also noticed that prior to stopping my break lights were on. In the meantime I had warnings pop up on my car service traction/ESC service. Well of course, my car was taken to a shop where it showed a break switch needed to be replaced and switch brake needed to be calibrated by the dealership. The car was taken to the dealership and the break switch failed when they performed brake position calibration. The gentlemen said that the switch could be bad even thou it was a new one that was purchased from the dealership. They replaced it again and re-calibrated and afterwards said everything works well. Within two weeks the problem with breaks are still there. There is a major problem we have with the 2009 Malibu. I"M just lucky I"M still alive. What upsets me the most is the problem is there, but dealerships want to keep replacing parts and charging you $$$$ for something that needs to be recalled before someone gets killed!

- Mullins, SC, USA

Sep 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights come on intermittently while driving. There is no indicator when or how this is happening. It has affected the cruise control option as well as the traction control on the vehicle. This is a safety concern for all motorists - unsure when a care is actually stopping and or accelerating.

- Ravenswood, WV, USA

Aug 192013

Malibu

2009 Malibu brake light stayed on while driving then when I hit my brakes the lights would go off no one knew when I was using my brakes heard this isn't the first time why do the have to wait till someone crashes or dies before they fix it also it kicked off the cruise control.

- Senecaville, OH, USA

Jun 222013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph with the cruise control activated, the cruise control disengaged independently and the contact noticed that the brake lights were illuminated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jun 082012

Malibu

The vehicle began to display a "service traction/ESC" message on the hud. Brake lights would come on randomly and stay on, sometimes for minutes, sometimes for hours. As a result of brake lights being on, cruise control was not functional. Had a sensor replaced which temporarily resolved the issue. The problem has returned 53 weeks and 17,000 miles later.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Dec 072012

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights began to turn on when the brake pedal was not depressed, even when the vehicle was in park. When driving, the brake lights will stay on and the cruise control does not work. These problems may only last a couple of minutes but may also persist for greater than an hour at a time. The problem manifests itself somewhat unpredictably but its frequency and duration have increased over time.

- Tremont, IL, USA

Apr 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

When driving my 2009 Malibu my brake lights will come on. When tapping the brake they go off, but when I need to use the brake no lights show. When this happens my service ESC and service traction lights also come on. Im getting very aggravated, I have only owned this car since June 2012, and constantly having problems.

- Blanchard, OK, USA

Mar 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

If cruise is engaged, sometimes it will just turn off. This is accompanied by constant brake lights even when the brakes are not pressed. Other times, the cruise will not engage and the brake lights will be illuminated constantly. Usually this occurs along with an error message regarding the est stability system on the car. Usually after turning the vehicle off everything works again.

- College Station, TX, USA

Mar 092013

Malibu 4-cyl

This is a recurring problem, beginning nearly 2 years ago. I have had the vehicle in for repairs several times, but the last documentable incident is March 9, 2013. ESC service light comes on, cruise control shuts down, brakes lights illuminating when they should not, and not illuminating when they should. There's always been some "thing" they find wrong, from re-calibration of the ESC system to this last incident, where they told me it was the brake light switch! I had just had the vehicle in to have a headlight replaced the prior weekend and I never noticed the brake lights not working, and the dealer that replaced the headlight never mentioned it either. I'm thinking they would have if they could charge me to fix something additional on the car. I just paid $250 to replace what I was told was a burned out brake light switch on March 9th, (palmen motors, kenosha, wi), and its already recurring. I heard part of possible recall on wnn abc news and started researching and ended up at your site this morning. I want to report this. There's no telling how many dollars have been paid to mechanics to fix unnecessary repairs because of this! I am furious! I am hoping that if this is a recall, or made one, I can at least get some of my money back! thank you,

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Mar 042011

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicles tire right side rods failed at 45880 were replaced under warranty 3/4/11. Complained to dealer about noise from right side of car at 50K dealer claimed there was no noise however due to weather conditions at the time (raining) they would need to see vehicle on a dry day. Vehicle in shop now with 64000 almost 1yr later right side tire rods need replacing again. This is my second Chevy Malibu and I am not happy. Doubt I will purchase Chevy again!!!

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Sep 162011

Malibu

While driving at 68mph with the speed control engaged, the speed control turned off. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw break lights on. I checked the mat to verify that it was not pressing the pedal. I then depressed the pedal, the car slowed and the break lights turned off. Now the brake lights are always on when the pedal is not pressed, and they turn off after pressing the pedal. This causes other drivers to not be aware that I am stopping.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Aug 012011

Malibu

The brake lights on my daughter's 2009 Chevrolet Malibu come on while she is driving & her cruise control stops working. She took her car into the dealer & 2 other people were there with the same complaint. The service dept. Said it was fixed but the same day as she picked it up, it happened again. While driving down the highway @ 70 mph with the cruise on, the brake lights come on and stay on until she presses the brake pedal. The brake lights go out while she is applying the brakes & come back on when she releases the brake pedal. Also, she also can no longer set her cruise control. After the vehicle has been parked for a few hours, the cruise & brake lights work properly. Anyone following her, especially @ night, might assume that she is stopping while driving & driving whilst stopping. I am concerned that this could cause a fire if the problem is electrical in nature, (both taillight bulbs have recently burnt out or shorted out & been replaced). I am very concerned that this could cause a serious accident.

- Clio, MI, USA