2009 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Nov 282014

Malibu 4-cyl

The passenger front headlight burned out. I took it to the dealership and had it replaced. Within a week or so, it had burned back out. At that time the dealership determined that the entire headlight assembly needed to be replaced.

- Lake Mary , FL, USA

Dec 022014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Scottsville, NY, USA

Sep 242014

First issue noticed was passenger airbag not on while passengers are in front and rear of vehicle. The passenger airbag sensor works 50% of the time. Second issue started close to the same time as the airbag. When using the keyless entry or the electric lock buttons inside the car, it fails to lock or unlock the passenger side doors. After 30 minutes or so it will then lock the doors. The latest issue started on the 19th of November 2014 with the driver side lowbeam not working as like it's blown. The car has been sitting for two days since and now the lowbeam is working but, it's dim compared to the passenger lowbeam. I believe there's a short in the electrical system from manufacturer. There are many forums online about these issues online from other owners. This car has not had any aftermarket installations of its electrical components and the battery is new. Chevrolet needs to take the time when manufacturing their vehicles instead of cutting corners. Their customers safety should be valued better than worrying about sales. You would think after going under they would take the time to do things right the first time. I highly doubt I will ever purchase a vehicle manufactured after 2002 from Chevrolet due to all of the electrical components that fail or cause serious injury or death. Please fix these issues or lose a 15 year customer.

- Homeland, GA, USA

Sep 012011

Malibu 4-cyl

I have had so much trouble with the 2009 Chevy Malibu I bought it brand new no miles thinking I was going to be stress free but it has given me the most headaches ever. I have had to replace the shift gear and that my head lights have had to been replace at least once a year since I got it the headache about that is that the whole bumper has to be removed to have them replace. I also had to replace the catalytic converter. I don't think I will ever purchase another Chevy car.

- Grand Prairie , TX, USA

Jul 022012

Malibu 4-cyl

I have to change head lights 3 times. Only can take to dealer ($150). When having tires replaces and brakes. The ABS/ESC/traction control alarms lights stays on while driving. I contact Chevrolet now for last three years. I was told because my car is out warranty they will not approval repair. I recently taken car to dealer recall # 13036. That my car would be approval for loaner. Chevrolet/ dealer. All warranty have expires that would not approval for repairs there's no one to bill or pay for repairs and loaner. I will be taken this public. As a consumers and would like to stay a purchaser of GM/Chevy to warn everyone of their practices.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 302012

Back driver side turning light bulb keeps burning out. Before it goes out it will work sometimes. So I don't think it is the bulb, but some other issue. At this time my car is 6 years old with 32,000 miles and this will be the 4th time of changing this bulb.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Jul 282014

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the parts needed for the repair were unavailable. The dealer could not provide an estimated date for arrival. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sinton, TX, USA

Apr 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

I received a recall notice number13036. To my understanding the recall has not been sent out to the current dealers to deal with the recall. My car brakes lights illuminated and the traction control light comes on while I'm driving putting my life in danger. Took the car to the dealer several times, but since the lights were not showing any defect they said there was nothing they could do. I have contacted the dealer several times, but since the recall is still in the notification process they tell me there is nothing they can do since the parts are not available. If and when I take my vehicle in if the lights are not coming on while the car is running or in park they told me there is nothing they can do. What am I left to do at this point I'm very concerned that before this is all over someone is going to lose their life.

- Clinton , MD, USA

Jul 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle headlight problems. The consumer stated over the last two years, the low beam headlights would go out. The passenger side light was replaced three times, and the driver side was replaced twice. Each time, the replacement cost was $100.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Jul 072014

Malibu 4-cyl

2009 Malibu began having issues where the bas light would come on in error. A recall has since been put out for this. Around this same time, the car began having blinker issues. The right blinker would not turn off after a turn and the left blinker would not stay on without being held down.

- Little Rock , AR, USA

Mar 012011

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake light illuminated when the brake pedal was not depressed and failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. In addition, the contact stated that the ESC traction control and the cruise control independently disengaged. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle would hesitate when shifting gears. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign: 14V252000 (brakes, exterior lighting, electronic stability control) exceeded a reasonable amount for the recall repair. The dealer stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The contact had experienced the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the currently mileage was 90,000.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jul 052014

I was driving down the freeway between 70 & 75 mph. I heard brakes screeching behind me. I then realized that my cruz had also went off. I knew that my brake lights had come on for no reason again as they had in the past. I was sure cars were going to start rear ending each other because they thought I had slammed on my brakes. When this is occurring with my vehicle the brake lights are off when I'm stopped at a light or a stop sign and the brake lights come on when I take my foot off the brakes. The car will jerk like it is trying to stall. The RPM's will surge to 4000 while at the same time the car is slowing down. The cruz will not engage when the brake lights are on. These problems only occurs when the brake lights will not go off.

- Pierson, MI, USA

Jun 122014

Having problems with 2009 Chevy Malibu lt. Brake lights stay on constant, and turns off when brake pedal is pressed. What ever the problem has effected the traction control and cruise control. Been to dealer twice. First time they put in a new brake switch and said it was faulty and put some gel on some connectors "250$" week later having same problem. Took back to dealer. Know there replacing wiring and connectors saying its a wiring issue "645$"...

- Groton , SD, USA

Jun 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

After filing two complaints with you, and receiving a recall alert from you, I am being told by GM that my vehicle, a 2009 Malibu built between the years specified in your recall notice, is not included in the recall you alerted me about. How is this possible? the referenced recall # 14V252000, as he experienced the same malfunction, as described in the recall. The consumer has invoices, that date bate to 2011, where he had to take the vehicle, back to the dealer several times, for an inoperable cruise control and ESC lighting illuminating. Updated 07/16/14

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Sep 012013

While driving the brake lights will come on for no reason and the service traction control warning will activate. If you tap the brakes the lights will go off for a few seconds but then come back on. If you apply the brakes to stop the lights go out and people behind you are confused. We get honked at and hand gestures constantly. We replaced the brake light switch and it was recalibrated and the problem still exists. We checked the fuse and put dialetric grease on it as suggested by the dealer and still the brake lights activate without touching the pedal. GM needs to fix this before someone is killed.

- Harris, MN, USA

Apr 142011

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving the vehicle, another driver informed her that the brake light was illuminated when the brake pedal was not engaged. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they confirmed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Ruston, LA, USA

Mar 282014

Malibu 6-cyl

The rear brake lights come on without depressing brake. When brake peddle pressed, brake lights do not illuminate.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 292010

Malibu 4-cyl

My service engine light has been on continuously because of my ignition switch is malfunctioning; at times it locks up disallowing me to be able to start my car or remove my keys. I have had issues with the camshaft actuators and has since been replaced on the engine; but this car is still malfunctioning. Also, my low beam headlight will not come on, on the passengers side of my vehicle after the bulb has been replaced. All of GM cars made between 2008-2012, needs to be recalled for these issues not just some but all!

- Jacksonville, AR, USA

Jun 072013

Malibu 4-cyl

ESC light stays on has been replaced 3 times. Causes traction control not to work properly also brake lights fail to work or will stay on and or stay off. Have reported to Chevy dealer in traver city Michigan they say nothing is wrong.. but something is wrong... or not right I never know if my tail lights or brake lights are going to work and traction control...

- Swartz Creek, MI, USA

Jan 102014

Malibu 4-cyl

This is the second time in two years the passenger headlight has went out. The first time was three weeks after purchasing the vehicle. Now again, this can not be a simple headlight just going out on the exact same side.

- Albany, GA, USA