2.5

2009 Chevrolet Malibu lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 162013

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights will come on randomly. This also causes the cruise control to kick off. The lights will stay on for varying lengths.

- Walnut , IA, USA

Sep 022013

Malibu

The cruise control was malfunctioning and after researching the problem I discovered that the brake lights could also be affected. When applying the brake the light in the rear window would actually go completely off. The repair is described in tsb 08-05-22-009C and was completed. The problem appears to be fixed. However it appears there was a previous recall for this type of problem with earlier General Motors models and the problem is still recurring. Chevrolet has not send any kind of notice to owners about this potentially dangerous situation. The computer code C0131 is activated when this occurs.

- Twin Falls , ID, USA

Nov 192012

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights turn on for no reason. When they are on for no reason pressing the brake pedal turns them off. They do not illuminate when pressing brake pedal. Later on the ESC and traction control turn off on their own.

- Rhinelander, WI, USA

May 012012

Malibu

I had a headlight go out over a year ago, had to pay 300$ to get it replaced (new design.... makes everything complicated, thanks GM!). not even 3 months later, same headlight out again (passenger). My mechanic noticed water in the light compartment (condensation) which he says will cause them to overheat and die. Got the light changed again, hoping avoiding car-washes was the solution. Nope. Out again. And then on again! and now out again for the past 4 months. I haven't had the money to get it fixed and by the grace of god I have not gotten a ticket. The brights both work!!!! I believe it is a wiring problem, and judging from the internet this problem seems frequent enough to warrant a recall. Note: There have been numerous electrical problems on this car, but I would like to Focus on this one getting recalled.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 072013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights malfunction. Thank god, I was driving behind my wife and her Malibu's brake lights were not on when she braked. And then turned on when she didn't have her foot on the brake pedal. Took to dealership, and he said he's been seeing that alot lately. Please recall before someone has major accident! thank you

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake lights come on intermittently while driving. There is no indicator when or how this is happening. It has affected the cruise control option as well as the traction control on the vehicle. This is a safety concern for all motorists - unsure when a care is actually stopping and or accelerating.

- Ravenswood, WV, USA

Sep 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

The vehicle rear brake lights are coming on while driving without me pressing the brake pedal. When the brake pedal is applied the brake lights temporary goes off before coming back on.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Jun 212013

Malibu 4-cyl

I have the same issue another person wrote about. I was driving when a car pulled up next to me to tell me that when I brake, my brake lights don't go on but when I begin to drive again, they go on. I went home and told my husband. And at that time it worked just fine. But then in July of 2013 my 23 year old daughter was driving my car and she said the same thing happened. A car in back of her asked her to pull over and told her that our brake lights don't work. But that they go on when she begins to drive again. This can be very very dangerous! I haven't been able to take it to the dealer because I'm currently unemployed so can't afford it but now that I read another person is having the same issue I think there needs to be a recall before someone does get killed. Please listen to your purchasers and recall this.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Aug 042013

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights illuminate when the brake pedal is up & sometimes won't illuminate when pedal is depressed.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Jun 012011

Malibu

While driving down the road the brake lights turn on. If I touch the breaks they go off. This happens most often when it rains, snows or if driving with the air conditioning on. The cruise control stops working at the same time. I have had this into a local dealership on three occasions where I have been told "we have to experience this in order to correct it." I am aware that many other Malibu vehicles experience this as there have been rumors of this becoming a recall for many months. This has been going on for a couple years for my car and I was under warranty when I had it in and not corrected. I try not to think about it now that it is out of warranty, but because I am expecting my first child and this is a safety concern I am becoming more worried. What will it take to get this corrected" how could they prove that the brake lights didn't come on when someone stopped to turn and then was hit" please help!

- Flint, MI, USA

May 292013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the passenger's side headlight failed. The vehicle was taken to a body shop for inspection where the wires were adjusted. The contact stated that the driver's side headlight recently failed. The vehicle was not taken back to the body shop. The failure mileage was 139,000 and the current mileage was 140,000.

- Rulebille , MD, USA

Oct 062012

Malibu

The brake lights on my vehicle stay illuminated when the brake pedal is not pressed. This causes other drivers to think that I am braking when I am not. When I press the brake pedal, the brake light goes off for two seconds and then comes back on. After releasing the brake pedal, the brake lights stay on. The vehicle has been to the dealership four times. The dealer has replaced the brake position sensor twice, the brake control module, and they performed a fix that was issued through a tech bulletin from GM about the issue by applying dielectric grease to the pins on the brake control module and connector. None of these solutions have corrected the issue.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 152012

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake lights illuminated when the brake pedal was not being depressed. Additionally, when the brake was being depressed, the brake lights would not illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000.

- Parker, CO, USA

Aug 092010

Malibu

While driving, the car will appear to think that the brakes are being applied. The brake lights will all activate, and cruise control will cease working. When the brake pedal is depressed, the brake lights turn off. The brakes still stop the car, but the lights and cruise control appear to be not calibrated to the brake sensor. Also, sometimes 3 warnings appear in the dash display: ESC off, service ESC, and service traction, though it is not necessary for the problem to occur. This happens very intermittently, but once it starts, it usually doesn't go away. I've had the problem repaired about 6 times, but it keeps coming back. I am out of options, as the repairmen seem to not know what is wrong with the car.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Dec 072012

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights began to turn on when the brake pedal was not depressed, even when the vehicle was in park. When driving, the brake lights will stay on and the cruise control does not work. These problems may only last a couple of minutes but may also persist for greater than an hour at a time. The problem manifests itself somewhat unpredictably but its frequency and duration have increased over time.

- Tremont, IL, USA

Apr 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

When driving my 2009 Malibu my brake lights will come on. When tapping the brake they go off, but when I need to use the brake no lights show. When this happens my service ESC and service traction lights also come on. Im getting very aggravated, I have only owned this car since June 2012, and constantly having problems.

- Blanchard, OK, USA

Feb 152013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the center brake light failed intermittently and without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 50,000. The current mileage was 62,000. Updated 07/10/13 the consumer stated the dealer could not diagnose the vehicle without a fee until the failure becomes permanent. Updated 07/15/2013

- Prineville, OR, USA

May 032013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights come on without pressing the pedal and when U press the pedal they go off for a second and come back on this has happened numerous times.

- Princeton, WV, USA

May 172013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights remain on while driving. Go off when braking. Have been stopped several times by folks passing by to tell me that the brake lights were on.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Oct 012012

Malibu 4-cyl

I had a problem with the brake light function. When driving, the brake lights would be on. When pressing the brake, the lights would turn off. I had to pay to have a switch replaced by the dealership to fix this issue.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA