2009 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 10 of 13)

Feb 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving and my ESC light came on and I had a difficult time steering my car in the worse traffic I could be in. I was lucky enough I got off the side of the road before I hit someone and put it in a ditch. Also, lucky enough it was me driving and not my 16 year old daughter. I called the dealer and they got me right in to get it fixed, but I had to pay for it out of my own pocket. However, when I contacted GM I was told I would be reimbursed for this and I would get a letter as of April 28th. I noticed it was moved to May 28th and as of today I have still yet to be notified" does someone have to be injured or killed to get an actual response from someone" updated 1/9/2015

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Oct 102013

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering is not working properly. No assist or little assist.

- Parma, OH, USA

Jan 072014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving (exiting freeway) the electronic power steering failed making it difficult to control the vehicle. (no report filed at the time, but a couple months later heard that GM was recalling '09 Malibu for power steering failures. Upon contacting GM this week to find out why I have not been notified of the recall, I have found that my vehicle is not affected by the recall and decided to report the failure in case it is a pattern of failures beyond the initial recall scope.)

- Romeo, MI, USA

Jun 082014

Malibu 4-cyl

Car is having electrical issues locks going up and down without pressing power button car also alarming off also have taken care to be serviced for misfiring and jerking when driving.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Malibu

Malibu has had a couple of different problems. While driving the electrical panel including warning lights would flicker on and off along with the vehicle losing power. Multiple times the vehicle was taken to a local dealership who ultimately told me a grounding wire had some problems and they fixed the issue. The vast majority of the problems were solved with that fix. Since then the vehicle has had issues with the steering. While driving the steering wheel will move itself back and forth. The problem is not all the time, and very random. This usually happens within the first few minutes after the start of the vehicle. When moving the steering wheel will wobble back and forth even with both hands on the wheel.

- Torrington, WY, USA

May 262014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while traveling 65 mph, the power steering failed and the warning lights for the traction service and power steering illuminated. The contact merged to the side of the road, where the vehicle was turned off and restarted. The vehicle resumed normal function. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. The failure and current mileage was 118,000. Updated 10/7/14

- Middlefield, CT, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle lost power steering and the tcs light illuminated. The contact also mentioned that the failure was experienced multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the torque sensor assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 14V153000 (steering) but was informed that the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- St Paul, MN, USA

May 102014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact indicated that after a cool down period of 35-45 minutes, he restarted the engine, the vehicle operated normally. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 14V153000(steering). The contact stated that the vehicle had experienced the same defect listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 08/12/14

- New Oxford, PA, USA

Oct 152013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering assist failed with the illumination of the ESC warning light. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V15300 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Feb 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving and all of a sudden the powering steering alert sounds. I lost power steering and the ESC is turned off.

- Conway, AR, USA

Aug 202013

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering motor failure warning light appeared on dash, traction control disabled warning appears. Happens very often at startup, making steering difficult and disabling traction control. Has occurred while driving, causing difficult steering. If vehicle is turned off and restarted, works properly approx. 50% of the time.

- Mountaint Top, PA, USA

Feb 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

I bought my car new in 2009 and I only have now just a little over 40,000 miles. I am a single mom and my car is used for driving my 2 1/2 year old son to and from day care and myself to and from work. On February 3rd I noticed my steering wheel felt funny like something was loose, I didn't think anything of it until my traction light then suddenly started to go on and off in the morning on my way to work. By the time I pulled into work the power steering had gone completely out. I then pulled onto a side street in fear of getting into an accident, I'm small and weigh no more than 115 lbs, so it was extremely rough and scary to me. I stopped the car and shut it off after looking up on my phone about similar problems people have been having. I shut it off waited a few minutes then it was fine, until I put the car in drive then it went out again. I did this a few times in order to make it to work. By lunch time my car was running fine but still felt funny for the next 4 days. Friday 2/7/14 my cars power steering had gone out for good and the turning it on and off didn't help, I ended up paying $840 dollars to get the entire column replaced.that was out of pocket because of course this was not covered under the manufactures warranty or the pt warranty. A month later I heard about the recall, so I called the dealership, they heard nothing so I called GM, my VIN wasn't listed. I have called back several times since and check the "owner" section on GM's website and still nothing, and all they keep telling me is that only some were recalled and mine might not be apart of it even though after reading the recall, that is exactly what happened to my vehicle.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Mar 082014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while approaching a traffic light, the service traction control warning message illuminated. There was also a loss of power steering. The contact had to turn the vehicle off; however, she was able to restart it. The failure occurred intermittently and while traveling approximately 30 mph the failure recurred. The contact was able to coast the vehicle onto the emergency lane and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 109,720.

- Middleport, NY, USA

Mar 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

While my husband was traveling on the interstate at approx. 75 mph. (cruise control was set), without warning, the steering wheel began to violently shake. Over a period of approx. 30 seconds, the traction control light flashed and all power steering was lost. He managed to slow the car and safely get to the shoulder of the road. The eps message was also flashing across the across the odometer. We monitored the NHTSA complaints since there were numerous complaints being filed regarding other consumers experiencing the same mechanical failure. We waited until 03/27/2014 to have the repairs performed, which consisted of the replacement of the steering column due to the failure of the power steering assist motor. GM then issued a recall on 03/31/2014 to include select 2009 Chevy Malibu's. however, when I contacted GM, I was told my VIN is not included in the recall and I will not subject to reimbursement for my repairs (totaling $773.62). I spoke with numerous representatives at GM, and was told by each of them, that the recall is only for select vehicles and despite my claim that my car experienced the exact mechanical failure as listed in the recall, my VIN is not included and any claim I submit will be denied. I am applauded that defective equipment has been installed in my car (which has been involved in two other GM recalls such as the ignition switch and the shift lever indicator) and GM is refusing resolve this situation. I am turning to NHTSA for further investigation so all consumers affected, including myself, be properly reimbursed for the expense incurred to correct GM's already proven defective equipment. The extent of stress GM has caused my family by near tragic accident of my husband and the financial burden of paying to correct a problem they have already identified as a problem is unethical and criminal.

- Fenton, MO, USA

Jan 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

In January of 2014, I experienced two separate instances of the electrical power assist steering failing suddenly in my 2009 Malibu. Fortunately I was traveling at low speeds in a residential area both times and was able to control the car. The problem would not correct until I stopped the car, turned it off and restarted it. When General Motors acknowledged a problem with power assist steering in 2008-2009 Malibu in March of 2014, I reported the problem to General Motors' customer service. I expected that the recall would include my vehicle. I have been informed by General Motors that my vehicle is not included in the recall. I find it troubling that if I experienced two instance of the loss of power steering and reported it to GM, that my car would be included in the recall. I'm writing to advise of my experiences so you can include my 2009 Malibu in the scope of the recall.

- Edina, MN, USA

Feb 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at multiple speeds, the power steering assist malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The power steering warning lights was also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the NHTSA campaign number 14V153000(steering). The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same defect listed in the recall.the failure mileage was 80,000.

- Seneca, MO, USA

Sep 162013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering assist failed with the illumination of the ESC warning light. The failure was recurring over a one year period. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Beverly Hills, CA, USA

Mar 052014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when he started vehicle, the check engine and power steering warning lights illuminated. The contact stated that the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,753.

- Show Low, AZ, USA

Mar 062014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the check engine warning light was illuminated after the engine was started. Additionally, the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 5/22/14

- Eauclaire, WI, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

Intermittent loss of electric power steering. Upon starting vehicle, power steering, ESC off, service ESC alerts are present. Restarting vehicle usually clears alerts and re-establishes electric power steering.

- Sullivan, MO, USA