2009 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 12 of 13)

Feb 132014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the power steering assist became inoperable. The vehicle was shut off and restarted, but the failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician could not diagnose the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Jan 292014

Malibu 6-cyl

Over last summer I had a hose go. Not a big deal. Only a $200 dollar repair. Last week is when the rest of the power steering failed. My power steering pump blew when I was trying to leave work. I attempted to move the car but I could barely steer, so I had to get a tow. When I brought it to the shop, a new pump was installed. 15 minutes later that pump blew out. When this first pump blew it sucked metal into the power steering gear which then needed to be replaced. This repair cost me $900. I think there should be a recall. I see lots of complaints about this issue and if it were to happen while I was driving I could have been killed.

- South Plainfield, NJ, USA

Feb 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Within a week of owning car error code P0011 camshaft alignment"came up. Dealer got light to go off. Said nothing was wrong with car. Electrical problems with power locks also, now my complete steering column is gone.5 error codes C0545/C0561, non functioning electric power steering. I am lucky that I didn't die in this car or worse kill someone. I can't believe there is no recall on this car. Plenty of complaints online. Are we waiting for people to die???" seriously. My car is at the dealership today and GM district specialist is dealing with the customer experience department at the dealership to see what they can do. I think this will be the last Chevrolet that I ever purchase. Unsafe. I hope people know how to complain on here because there are a lot of complaints online. 2008 was recalled for same issues. Maybe they used some of their old parts in my car from 2008.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Jan 312014

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering wheel shaking, unable to turn.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Nov 082013

Malibu 4-cyl

At freeway speed the car wants to pull to left when turning the wheel to the right. Steering wheel makes a clunking noise when turning left or right. Hard to steer when moving slowly. Loose sloppy steering feel. The dealer is replacing the entire steering gear rack. Very costly.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Nov 102013

Malibu 4-cyl

On Sunday, November 3, 2013, the warning light came on warning me that we had no power steering for the first time. On Monday, November 4, 2013, we again received the message that we had no power steering. And we did not have power steering. You had to turn the ignition off and restart numerous times for the warning light not to come on. On Tuesday, November 5, 2013, my intent was to make an appointment to have the Malibu checked out, when my wife called on her way to work and said that she had trouble starting the Malibu without the power steering warning, that something was wrong with the steering as she was driving, and we should exchange vehicles at a local repair shop. They looked at the error code (dtc C0545), printed me a copy of the technical bulletin (09-02-36-001), and recommended that I take the Malibu to a dealer. It took five starts before the Malibu would start on their parking lot before the power steering warning went off. As I drove to the dealer the car was drivable, but there was definitely something wrong with the steering. When I arrived at the dealer, I placed the transmission in park and set the emergency brake; when I took my hands off the steering wheel to turn off the ignition, the steering wheel was going left and right on its own " I can"T emphasize this enough. I have never witnessed (or have even heard of) a car?S steering wheel performing in this manner before. In addressing the situation with the technician writing up my problem, we discussed payment and warranty and he said he would call GM and call me back. He called me back later and said that GM would pay half the repair and that my cost eventually worked out to $497.66.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Oct 242013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 66,024.

- Ledyard, CT, USA

Jul 012013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering wheel warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact had not experienced a power steering assist failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000 and the current mileage was 69,886.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Jul 212013

Malibu 4-cyl

I have a 2009 Malibu, a little over 73000 miles. 7/21/2013 while in park the steering wheel started shaking and pulsing. I turned the car off and restarted it and it stopped. I got on the interstate and the steering wheel started shaking and pulsing and shifting. I have to keep 2 hands on the wheel as not to be shifted from lanes. I take the car Wednesday to a GM dealership. They told me it wasn't calibrated after an alignment, and they calibrated it done and alignment and rotated the tires. I pay $220 for this service and leave. I get home with no problems. Very next morning Thursday, I start my car and it starts the same thing all over again. It shakes and pulses all the way to the dealership while shifting me in lanes. After waiting for around an hour and a half, I am told the electrical power steering motor is out and it is nearly $700. This is $920 for a motor in a 4 year old vehicle with 73000 miles. This vehicle is not safe considering if you do not have 2 hands on the vehicle and paying very close attention you may end up in up in the lane beside you. I have researched this online and found 100S of complaints concerning this same problem. I am amazed this has not been recalled. I am very disappointed with GM.

- Rockwood, TN, USA

Jul 102013

Malibu 6-cyl

My car was under bumper to bumper warranty when the steering gear was replaced. Now the same part is going bad again for the second time. Today's date 7-10-2013.

- Silverton, OR, USA

Dec 202012

Malibu

Erratic steering while trying to park. Chimes were head, message came across speedo, major clunk also started at same time. Sounds like right front. Another electric power steering failure from a car barely broken in, from GM. When will they take responsibility for substandard parts they import for american cars?

- Oakwood Village, OH, USA

Nov 082012

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering goes inop. At times. The power steering light comes on and vehicle is very difficult to steer. When you turn the vehicle off and then back on it resets the system and everything goes back to normal. Took it to dealership to be diagnosed and said steering column needs to be replaced and had the repair done.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Apr 162012

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering - when turning the steering wheel, you feel non-smooth condition, unusual humming or moaning noise. Some power steering fluid had to be replaced but no noticeable leak is evident. Had private auto mechanic look into problem and he advised to let dealer take care of it because they have the computerized equipment to make appropriate repairs. Auto mechanic stated that he has experienced similar complaints about the Chevy Malibu. Chevy dealer checked problem and advised us to wait for problem no "worsen" because any diagnostic work will cost us "a lot of money" wondering if NHTSA has similar complaints on file because I'm concerned about any safety issue?

- Jericho, NY, USA

Oct 182011

Malibu

Wheels wobbling when I bought the certified vehicle, took it back to dealer. They replaced front tires and aligned vehicle. Also steering wheel does not lock into place when put in park and key removed from ignition. Constant steering correction at any speed. Wheel dances back and forth and feels bouncy. Dealer stated that there is no problem with the steering wheel. Returned to dealer on Feb. 23 2012. They replaced front tires again. Test drove car and stated the car was fixed. Car still wonders, wheels still wobble..still play in steering wheel. Spoke with GM rep. Explained issue. GM rep. Also spoke with dealer mechanic. Dealer mechanic advised GM rep. That car wheels and steering was fixed. Incorrect. Dealer did not address steering wheel. Only replaced tires. Issue still exists. Easy to lose control. Feels like it has bad wheel bearings or busted hub. But dealer mechanics says its okay.

- Poca, WV, USA

Mar 042011

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicles tire right side rods failed at 45880 were replaced under warranty 3/4/11. Complained to dealer about noise from right side of car at 50K dealer claimed there was no noise however due to weather conditions at the time (raining) they would need to see vehicle on a dry day. Vehicle in shop now with 64000 almost 1yr later right side tire rods need replacing again. This is my second Chevy Malibu and I am not happy. Doubt I will purchase Chevy again!!!

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Nov 122011

Malibu 4-cyl

Backing out of a parking spot power steering gave out. Service ESC light came on. Power steering message lit. Pulled into parking spot shut car off. Started car seconds later - no warning lights on and power steering was back but did not feel right. Turned wheel while parked and ESC and power steering warning lights illuminated. Tried again, same thing. Had to drive 2 miles to home with no power steering. Outside temperature was 34 degrees at the time.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Sep 162011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact was unable to steer the vehicle because the electronic power steering assist failed. The service electronic power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician advised that the steering column had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Waterofrd, MI, USA

Nov 202009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel began to jerk abnormally. After time, the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure began to recur intermittently and with time, became a constant occurrence. In addition, the contact noticed a burning odor when first starting the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Eden, NC, USA

Mar 012011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the power steering failed intermittently while driving at any speed over 30 mph. The power steering warning light illuminated while the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed the failure was located at the steering column and the power steering motor. The dealer replaced the steering column and the power steering motor yet the failure was not corrected. The steering continued to fail while driving at any speed. The failure mileage was 62,000 and the current mileage was 65,000.

- Carolina Shores, NC, USA

May 172011

Malibu

The driver owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The driver was traveling approximately 15 mph when he lost control of the vehicle and the driver could no longer control the steering wheel. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the front driver's side tie rod detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 33,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Novi, MI, USA