2009 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 13)

Dec 122015

Malibu

Power steering msg comes on intermittently. Took in for repair and steering torque sensor needs replaced. This is listed for other Malibu years but not 2009 as (NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000). The repair cost $576.09. The vehicle is not listed under current recall but suffered the same problem. Problem occurs while driving and is a known safety issue affecting other model years.

- Cheboygan, MI, USA

Dec 232015

Malibu

I intermittently lose power steering on the vehicle while driving. The information display flashes that the power steering and traction control are disabled. This occurs both when stationary and while moving. I received a letter from Chevrolet in regards to this problem and was advised by the letter to take it in to the dealer if this problem existed. When I took it in to have the repair done, I was told that it was not doing it at that time and that there was nothing they could do. I called Chevrolet customer assistance center and was told the same thing. I was told that basically I had to wait until it failed again and hope that it did not cause an accident by the customer service representative before they could do anything about it.

- Mountaintop, PA, USA

Dec 182015

Malibu

As I was drivingdown the street, the power steering/service ESC light and message came on my car. It also said ESC off. I got pulled into a parkuing lot and turned off my car and restarted it and it worked for a few minutes. After work it did it to me when I started it. I killed it and restarted it and jerked the steering wheel back and forth and it worked for around five minutes. I have read on many forums that this is a known problem with many years of the Malibu and other cars. GM has extended the warranty to 100,000 miles but most of them are over that limit. This is a dangerous problem!!!!!

- O'donnell, TX, USA

Dec 172015

Malibu

I was driving this morning and a "power steering" message appeared on my dash. For now, I didn't feel any difference in steering, but to be honest, it's been always a bit hard to turn the steering wheel. It is getting colder in my state and I am worried for myself and my family to drive this car. I called my local GM dealership and they said I am not covered, however if I bring my car, they might cover some expenses. I only have 86.000 miles on my car and I don't see why it shouldn't be fully covered because it seems to be a number one issue in Malibu cars.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 012015

Malibu 4-cyl

2009 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle power steering issues. The consumer stated with no warning, the power steering failed. She was able to safely turn onto a side street. Once she turned off the vehicle and re-started it, the power steering resumed. The consumer received a letter regarding an issue with the power steering. According to the letter, the consumer was instructed to take the vehicle and the letter to the dealer for repairs. The consumer requested reimbursement. However, she was denited. GM stated the vehicle was no longer under warranty. 8jb

- Springfield, OH, USA

Nov 242015

Malibu

Tonight I went to start my car up turned the heater on then went back inside came out and was steering itself back and forth turned it on and off again it stopped backed up and pulled forward started doing it again and then it started turning really hard from left to right by itself

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Oct 282015

Malibu

Power steering, traction light, engine power down all come on and car shut down

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the power steering failed. The failure recurred numerous times. The contact was able to regain power steering by restarting the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer it was confirmed that the vehicle had a power steering failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 197,000.

- Flint, MI, USA

May 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 154,000.

- White Lake, MI, USA

May 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at a very low speed, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The power steering and service ESC warning lights displayed across the message board. In addition, the contact stated that all doors failed to lock and unlock electronically. The contact had to manually lock and unlock the doors. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Watson, AR, USA

Oct 102015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel seized and the electronic steering assist warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electronic power steering assist module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 156,000.

- West Point, MS, USA

Oct 082015

Malibu

My steering wheel just locked up this morning as I was driving. The ESC light came on saying service power steering. I turned off the car after putting on the emergency lights turned the car back on and the steering wheel was working properly again. I am afraid to drive the car now and I thank god I was not on the interstate when this happened.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Sep 272015

Malibu

I was driving and heard a beeping noise. Power steering flashed on dash. I parked car waited some time. Proceeded to drive and continue to beep/flash until next destination, same issue 10 minutes later. I checked online to verify recall, shows a few, reached out to dealer and was informed that this has expired or no open recalls and no way to verify if this was fixed.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Sep 082009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel seized, the engine stalled, and an unknown warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the diagnostic testing was unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 222015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The service electronic stability control (ESC) was displayed across the message board. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the steering wheel torque input sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,457.

- Central Square , NY, USA

Sep 142015

Malibu

The power steering suddenly stops working, it is very difficult to turn. GM has issued a recall on March 31, 2014. But the dealer refuses to honor the recall, it insisted GM has excluded certain vehicles of 2009 Malibu. This is the recall number: NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000. In NHTSA published information it says it includes all 2009 Malibu.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jun 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel vibrated and seized without warning. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14E044000 (steering) and 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Harrison, GA, USA

Aug 082015

Malibu

While driving on the interstate my steering wheel began to shake and vibrate rapidly. I then heard a ding followed by the messages, "service power steering" "service ESC" " ESC off". I was able to exit the interstate and get to a gas station before the wheel completely locked up. I turned the car off for about 45 mins and found that when I turned my car on it was "fine." I ended up having it towed. I found out that this is a common issue with this car and my car isn't a part of last year's recall.

- Nashville , TN, USA

Aug 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate on several occasions while driving at various speeds. In addition, the contact stated that the power steering, the door locks, windows and rear tail gate failed. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 125,000. MA 10/23/15

- Niantic, CT, USA

Jul 232015

Malibu

I was driving down the road and all of a sudden the car started to beep and power steering came up on the dashboard and the steering wheel locked. I had to immediately stop the car, put it in park, and turn the engine off in the middle of the street.

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA