2009 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 9 of 13)

Apr 222014

Malibu 4-cyl

Power steering failed on freeway at 65 mph just as listed on a GM recall for this exact make and model. My VIN was not included in the recall but it had the exact same failure. GM will do nothing since my specific VIN is not listed.

- The Dalles, OR, USA

Nov 042014

Malibu 4-cyl

So far, I have lost power steering 3 times while driving. This is the exact issue for which the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu has already been recalled. However, my 2009 was manufactured in a month not covered by the current recall. This is an extremely dangerous defect as it can result in an accident or loss of life.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Nov 272014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and it became difficult to steer the vehicle. The contact was able to continue driving at a lower speed. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 122014

Malibu 4-cyl

Twice in past 5 days while traveling at slow speed, the power steering went out completely - very dangerous. Turned off ignition and restarted engine and it was fine again.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. In addition, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 152014

Malibu

Power steering went out and on the digital display it stated power steering failed contact dealer immediately.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

Nov 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

I had just left the expressway and was waiting to enter traffic. When it cleared I started up and lost power steering. This also happened two days before on 11-12-2014. The first incident was this last February. I called Chevrolet and they said that my VIN. Number did not show up on the recall for loss of electronic power steering but yet I see that 2008 to 2009 Malibu are under this recall. This information is clearly on your web site. I am aware that my vehicle could very well have had a faulty power steering unit installed. I feel that this is a hazard. The problem is the same as listed for the recall.

- Charlotte, MI, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

I pulled into a parking lot and my power steering stopped working. I could barely turn the wheel. The car did not stall, the power steering just stopped working. I managed to pull into a parking space and turned the car off. When I started the car the power steering started working again. All I could think of was - what if it happened on the thruway! I took it to my dealer and they had to replace the torque sensor. I don't understand why my son's 2004 Chevy Malibu would have a recall on the power steering but the 2009 didn't"??? the same thing happened to each of us. Please help so that I can get my $438 refunded.?" and so that someone doesn't get hurt or worse! thank you.

- Allegany, NY, USA

Nov 112014

Malibu

As I was driving down the street my steering wheel locked up and I was unable to move it to safely pull over to the side of the street. I just had to stop in the middle of the street and turn my car off and then back on. It then reset it and I was able to drive again. The "service ESC" light came on and then "power steering" light came on. This is not the first time this has happened. It has happened before right in the middle of an intersection. Where again I had to turn my car off and stop traffic and then turn it back on. I believe this could pose a serious safety issue. When your vehicle to stops because you cannot steer another vehicle can easily hit you and cause a severe accident. There should be a recall on this since it seems to affect a number of 2009 Malibu's that I see all over forums and blogs.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Oct 072014

Malibu

My 14-yr old daughter was driving our 2009 Chevrolet Malibu and all of a sudden the steering locked up and she was unable to turn the wheel (talk about a scary moment for a young driver and not to mention me). There were chimes and a message that displayed a steering failure. We stopped the car, shut it off then back on and the steering was back to 'normal'. I reviewed the recalls on this make & model and I see that there are a number of GM vehicles that are experiencing this same issue. We took our car to the dealer we purchased it through and he said the vehicle did show a code for the failure but our VIN was not included in the recalls. The service manager then tells me it will be approx. $600 to replace the entire steering column. I mentioned & showed him the bulletins that have been posted regarding this issue but he said sorry, your car is not listed and it will be $600 to fix. I left very disappointed to say the least. Then earlier today, my wife called and said this issue happened to her for the 1st time so now I'm angry. GM knows they have an issue as you can see with all the service bulletins posted on this but they don't seen to care. I really hope GM understands how important it is to be able to steer your vehicle properly. GM, be a reputable company and take care of this issue. If you care about the consumer, do the right thing and ensure your vehicles are safe to drive.

- Peosta, IA, USA

Nov 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Turning out of a shopping center parking lot the power steering stopped working.

- Franklin, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering failed and the vehicle stalled. The contact indicated that the steering wheel had become tight and extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road where the vehicle was restarted after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering column and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop who replaced the steering column. The vehicle was repaired. The vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,590. Updated 12/22/14 updated 9/28/2015

- Sanford, NC, USA

Oct 272014

Malibu

I had pulled into the gas station, and my gas cap is on the passenger side. The only available pump that was open, in order for me to use it I had to pull up and reverse to get on the side of the pump to which I can fill gas on. As I was turning my wheel back into place, the steering wheel itself got stuck and seemed really hard to turn. As I tried to move my car, I got an error on my driver information center that my electric power steering had gone out. I presumed to panic, as I have not been in this situation before. I than turned off the vehicle and turned it back on and the power steering was back. I have heard that there have been recalls on this part for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu's, so I had taken it to the dealership, only to be told that there is no recall and that I have to replace my steering column and pay for it completely out of pocket. I was really hoping that General Motors would be able to cover this under some sort of warranty fix, but I am just being turned away left and right and being told all I can do is pay out of pocket which this particular part and labor would cost me $1000. They are only basically telling me the highway or no way, and I feel very unsafe driving this vehicle. What I do not understand is that with these cars being recalled with this issue, and I am being told that my car does not qualify for the recall when I am having that exact issue for the recall. I am just really hoping to find someone that will be willing to help me get this covered under the recall warranty seeing as it is the issue of the recall being placed. I do not feel safe driving my vehicle while I have to wait 24 to 48 hours to see if I get a response from General Motors to see if they will help me on this issue. All I am asking is that someone please, please help me on this issue.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 192012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph, a chime sounded and there was a loss of power steering. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure occurred numerous times. On a separate occasion, the steering wheel moved independently for a few seconds when the vehicle was at a complete stop. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000....updated 11/17/14

- Union Beach , NJ, USA

Jan 172014

Malibu 4-cyl

Exiting an off ramp at aprx. 15-20 miles per hour, my power steering went. I pulled off the side of the road and turned the car off to call my husband. Power steering back on. Drove to my destination. On the way hone, it went again. This happened several other times throughout the month. Took it to the dealer who replaced the power steering. Other Malibu have been recalled for this purpose, but not mine.

- Spencerport, NY, USA

Jul 312014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact heard a clunking sound from the rear to the front of the vehicle. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. In addition, the contact discovered that the speedometer was not registering the speed of the vehicle. The dealer was unable to diagnose or repair the failure. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Duquesne, PA, USA

Mar 022009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph, the emergency steering control warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. Also, the vehicle failed to start properly on multiple occasions. In order for the vehicle to start properly, the battery had to be disconnected until the vehicle reset. In addition, the doors failed to lock. The dealer stated that there were multiple electrical malfunctions that needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired, but the failures recurred multiple times. The contact was uncertain what components were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The approximate failure mileage was 81,000.

- Ojai, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the steering wheel seized and became hard to turn. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where the mechanic stated that the steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,663.

- Valdosta, GA, USA

Jun 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Electric power steering failure. Young female driver had difficulty controlling vehicle.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Aug 072014

Malibu 6-cyl

Driving car and went to turn and lost steering ability and nearly hit a truck. Immediately had an exploding headache/migraine while trying to get car to safety. Ambulance came and went to hospital.

- Bloomington, MN, USA