2009 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Jan 082017

Malibu

When starting my car the ESC light comes on and I lose power steering. If I shut the car off and jiggle the steering wheel and then turn the car back on it usually works fine until I shut the car off again. I took it to a mechanic who checked the error code and it came up "C0545". so now my whole steering column needs to be replaced. Why was my car not included in the recall if it's doing the same thing as the ones that were recalled"??" I have roughly 133,000 miles on it.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Jan 022017

Malibu

My electronic power steering failed to operate while driving suddenly and without warning. Along with this happening, an ESC inoperative light is illuminated along with a service power steering message on the instrument display. Vehicle steering very hard to operate. Have to turn car off and on multiple times to clear message and for some reason the power steering resumes to work. This now is a constant occurrence, to the point that I am unable to rely on this vehicle for safe travels.

- Monroe, NY, USA

Dec 192016

Malibu

ESC traction ESC power steering light comes on and car bogs down and steering is hard to control. Took Malibu to dealership 3 times for the same ESC problem with no resolution and thousand spent.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jan 032017

Malibu

While in park and engine running, steering wheel shimmies and shakes. While driving the steering wheel shimmies and slips. Gives a sense that steering control will be lost. On occasion the "eps" and "power steering" warnings come on and the car loses power steering making it very difficult to steer the car while driving.

- Chaparral, NM, USA

Jan 022017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 50 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact had to use greater effort to steer the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was driven back to the contact's residence where it was towed to a dealer. The dealer diagnosed that the torque sensor assembly failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 182,964.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Dec 092016

Malibu

Car mileage is at 75,300 and I am hearing a rubbing/clunking sound when ever I turn my steering wheel to the right and my turn signal lever stopped automatically releasing after I have turned which is now also making a weird noise. I see there was a recall for the steering in 2014 but I purchased the from a dealer in 2015. How do I find out if the dealer serviced the recall"?"

- Geneva, NY, USA

Nov 202015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 1 mph, the power steering seized without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Kansas, MO, USA

Nov 232016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the eps warning indicator randomly flashed and the stability traction control warning indicator appeared to be deactivated. The contact stated that the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn each time the failure occurred. In addition, the vehicle suddenly experienced a drastic loss of power. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14E044000 (steering) and 14V153000 (steering). The dealer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 231,086.

- Camden, MS, USA

Nov 072016

Malibu

Driving down an expressway about 60mph and the power steering quit working, a message displayed on my dash "power steering service ESC" the ABS indicator light also displayed at the same time. I have no power steering. My car has approx 125,000 miles on it. I googled the issue and there was a recall for this issue for 2006-2007 Chevy Malibu so I contacted the dealer and they said my car does not have a recall for this issue. I do have a recall that I have not had fixed yet for the brake lamp malfunction 13036 which dealer stated is unrelated issue. I see several other people online are reporting this same issue for the 2009 4 cylinder Chevy Malibu's. I would hope GM will recall this and take care of the problem.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Nov 142016

Malibu

My power steering all of the sudden has started not working. Sometimes if I tun the car off and back on it will work but it also goes out on me while I am driving down the road.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Nov 212016

Malibu

Was driving and was about to make a turn the service ecs came on and power steering started going across the screen. My steering wheel locked up and traction control light came on I almost had a wreck

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Nov 132016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 15 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The contact stated that it became difficult to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Nov 122016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 75 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering. The power steering, traction control, and service ESC warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was pulled to the side of the road and restarted. The vehicle operated normally; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the diagnosis was not provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 194,000.

- Window Rock, AZ, USA

Nov 132016

Malibu

I've had three instances, two in the same day, while either standing still in park in a parking lot or in traffic on a city street and my dashboard says service ESC power steering and the traction control light stays illuminated. It becomes near impossible to steer the vehicle once this happens and has almost caused me to be in accidents each time. When I'm finally able to pull over, I have shut the car off and turned it back on after a few minutes and it resets the computer and operates regularly but on the last occasion it came back on two minutes after the reset. I've read there are recalls on other models but not on the 2009 Malibu. This is a safety concern and could potentially cause serious accidents, injuries and even death depending on when the steering goes out (slow traffic speeds vs fast highway speeds) because there isn't any type of warning.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 172016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving in reverse at 5 mph, the steering wheel failed and the ESC warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent dealer where it was determined that the steering staff torque system failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 282015

Malibu

Takata recall; steering column is loose(stationary, motion). Wheel bearings are bad. I took the car to a Chevrolet dealer(clemson rd.). they were not able to find an issue. Everytime I maintenanceperformed I am advised to have the ;steeting column check, rattling and loose, maybe a piece of plastic?). my second trip to the Chevrolet dealer did not allow enough time for a diagnostic. I purchased the car used from united auto sales. The wheel bearings(motion) were bad when I purchased and the dealer (united car autosales). I replaced the wheel bearings once already and have to replace again. The car is making a clapping noise and speed is impeded.

- Cayce, SC, USA

Aug 032016

Malibu

ESC warning light began going off intermittently(usually when turning steering wheel to the right) at around 60,000 miles. I have taken it to the dealership and they initially recommended replacing the "sensor". the vehicle now has approximately 85,000 miles on it and the steering will become very difficult at times while driving. The dealer is now recommending complete replacement of the steering system. My vehicle has not yet been included in any steering related recalls, but there is clearly a defect with my vehicle.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 072015

Malibu

When starting car information center issues warning eps then check power steering and the steering wheel in very difficult to turn. If the car is shut off and restarted 2-3 times it will be ok. This has happened several times over the past 5 months.

- Athens, NY, USA

Feb 222016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Apr 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering seized without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the torque sensor and power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 169,140.

- Henderson, NC, USA