2010 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Oct 082012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the technician informed that the front brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the brake system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the technician informed that the rear brakes, the rear rotors and the rear passenger side caliper needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the windshield wipers failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the wiper transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Levictown, PA, USA

Jan 192015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the vehicle stalled with no warning several times. Also, the contact stated that the rear break light illuminated frequently when the brake pedal was not applied. The contact had to tap the brake pedal to get the light to turn off. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14E044000 (steering) and 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 171,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 292013

Malibu 4-cyl

8/29/2014 cruise control was not working on car along with traction control and ABS warring lights going off. Car was taken to a GM dealership to be looked at was told that rear speed sensors were not working and paid 200 dollars for a repair. Didn't even make it home and the same problem started happening along with brake lights that will not go off. Car was taken back to the dealership and this time they found frayed wire and fixed it for no charge. This still did not fix the issue. Was taken to another dealership charged a dx fee to tell me it was the BCM. Finally a recall was issued and when the part came in my care was taken in for the recall repair and this still did not fix the issue. I am paying for a care that I cant even drive. The brake lights will not go off and GM says that I can bring it in if its not from the recall I will have to pay another fee to have a dx done on it. Just really aggravated never again will I buy a GM product. Asked what I was supposed to do in the event of a crash resulting from others not able to see if I am stopping and was advised that GM would then be responsible...updated 01/06/15

- Hamilton , TX, USA

Jul 232014

Malibu 4-cyl

I noticed while driving one morning my brake lights were illuminated, but I was not depressing the brakes. When I pushed the brake pedal, the brake lights went off. At this very same time when I tried to set the cruise control, it would not allow me to do so. This has been an on-again, off-again issue. Some days it works correctly but other days the same problem persists. I researched online and saw that there was a recall by GM for this exact problem, recall id# 14V252000, but when I called the dealership and they checked my VIN # they said that my car was not under the recall, and that they would have to take my car and see if it happens to them in order to fix it. I read the recall and it is exactly the issue that I am having. Please help and add mine, and I'm sure others, VIN#'s to this recall before something horrible happens!

- Jenison, MI, USA

Jul 162014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the brakes were applied and all four tires seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) however, the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Coventry , NN, USA

Jun 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

When I start driving my car down the street the brake lights come on. If I tap the peddle the lights will go off for about 2 seconds the come back on again and stay on. When I touch the brakes toslow down they go off and do not come on until I apply full pressure to them. The traction service lights comes on sporadically have taken this in to get it fixed and they cant fix it because they do not have a recall notice on it. What am I to do. This is a serious problem to me.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jul 112014

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights illuminate without brake pedal being pushed.

- Lititiz, PA, USA

Apr 152013

Malibu

I have taken my car to the GM dealer three times in the past year. Each time they stated that they had repaired the "brake signal" and that was the problem. However, even with the current recalls for the same problem, when I called GM dealer last week, they stated that the "charges would be at least $150 to connect to the computer and run diagnostics". well, since I have already spent $500 for the last 3 visits, where they did not listen to me and fixed something was not torn up, why would I waste money on the same issue. There is a recall.. GM states that the recall is not for my specific vehicle, although the problems I have had for one year are the same problems they are recalling the 2010 chev Malibu for at this time. Supposedly, they will recall mine later.. I guess I just wait and hope I do not have a wreck until then. Driving along the highway at any speed, the car will suddenly feel as if I have pressed the brake pedal and pumped it. The ESC and service traction lights then come on. The brake lights then come on when I do not have the brake pedal pushed. When I do press the brake pedal the brake light goes off. I have had to have my brakes changed several times since this began. It also uses more gas since my car thinks I am riding my brakes and pressing the gas also.

- Summerville, GA, USA

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake lights illuminated when the brakes were not being engaged and turned off when they were. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the tpn system needed to be reset. The repairs were made but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000 and the current mileage was 71,000. Updated 8/22/14

- Mount Rainier, MD, USA

Mar 172014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while driving 40 mph attempting to avoid crashing into another vehicle, the brakes were engaged but failed to stop the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of the second vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The front passenger sustained a fractured knee. A police report was filed. Neither the manufacturer nor the dealer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 27,000.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jun 302014

Malibu 4-cyl

First occurrence I was driving down the road and my warning lights came on for ESC off, service traction control, service ESC at 50 mph. At first it would only come on once every couple weeks but now it comes on almost every time I drive it. It varies (speed doesn't matter) whether or not going down the highway or stopping in a driveway when it comes on but warning lights will come on when you touch the brakes. I also observed that the brake lights stay on while going down the road (when its dark outside) but when you apply the brakes the brake lights go off. I feel this could be dangerous if someone is following behind you and thinks that you have let off the brakes but you are actually slowing down. I don't think that they have an apparent fix for this issue as I see several reports from vehicles ranging from 2008 to 2012 online complaining about this same issue. It is intermittent. When you turn the car off after this occurs the lights will go off. Sometimes only for a short period other times for a week weeks before it comes on again. I took my car to the local dealership but they were no help, didn't even test drive it. I was almost rear ended, other person in car screaming at me, yelling I have no brake lights. I just hope I do not have an accident.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Jun 302014

Malibu 4-cyl

Rear exterior brake lights stayed on while driving. Lights would go off when brake was slightly depressed and would come back on when pedal was depressed more firmly.

- Garrett, IN, USA

Oct 092013

- Fowle, MI, USA

May 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that his brake lights would illuminate when the brakes were not engaged and shut off when applying the brakes. The ESC off warning light illuminated on the instrument panel and the traction in the vehicle malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000. The current mileage was 50,000.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Apr 202014

Malibu 6-cyl

Car will alarm with "service escape" and "service traction" --- brake lights will then work opposite of what they should. When brakes are not being pressed they are lit but when brakes are pressed brake lights do not work. Happens intermittently but for several days at a time. Have also had cruise control engage itself while driving down interstate at approx 70 mph-- cruise control came on and sped the car up without it being set -- disengaged when brakes pressed.

- Hartwell, GA, USA

Malibu 6-cyl

I called GM and was told that my car was included on the recent recall issued May 14, however there are no parts available yet to fix. I was also made aware that this recall fix would only fix the brake lamps and that the other issues I.e cruise control, electronic stability control, and traction control are not a part this recall. I am issuing another complaint due to reading many other complaints of this same issue and that need to be addressed by GM. This is a potential dangerous issue that can cause serious injury, not to mention with the brake lamps staying illuminated and turn off when the pedal is pressed currently. There should be an immediate recall since the issues included in the recent recall will not be addressed and has made me a dissatisfied GM owner. I hope the NHTSA will further investigate complaints and pressure GM to completely fix these defects immediately.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

May 292014

Malibu

All in one weekend (while out of town) first the vehicle would not respond to cruise control commands (engage or disengage) if engaged through the steering column controls. The service ESC light keeps coming off and on at random while either sitting or driving. The ESC tracking is turned off. Brake lights will illuminate randomly when my foot is not on the brakes. Tapping the brakes gets the light to turn off, but it turns on again 5-6 seconds later. When I put my foot on the brake to slow down or tap the brake the light does not come on. The brake lights are only coming on when I'm at a complete hard stop. This is extremely dangerous as I have over a 40 minute commute into the city each day. Also, the seatbelt light and beeping is on even when my seatbelt is secured. I cannot afford to have these items replace, and I have 4 years to pay on this car! there is something seriously wrong with these items in my car.

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Malibu

While car is on. Brake lights work in reverse. When break pedal is pushed, the brake lights go out. When pedal is not engaged, the brake lights are on. (works in reverse). Service traction, ecs waring comes on.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Dec 032013

Malibu 4-cyl

Intermittent problem, occurring at least five times since date above. One or more of the following conditions noted: 1. cruise control fails to engage, or stops engaging. Indicator light on (/off wheel toggle switch), but no engage. 2. "service ESC" and alternating "traction control" warning with alarm tone on speedo cluster. Orange warning triangle illuminated, also. 3. brake lights constant on, with no foot on brake pedal. Or, brake lights can go off when brakes are applied. Confusing, possibly dangerous, to drivers immediately following. Once aware of this, fashioned a reflector fitting just behind the rear top mount brake light that reflects into my rear-view mirror. These problems can clear after car is stopped for a time (over 45 minutes) and may not appear again for another unknown interval. Already replaced (March 31, 2014) a brake position sensor switch ($186.60 - my cost) at local selling Chevrolet dealership. This did nothing to fix the problem and when asked, dealer claimed no knowledge of any tsbs or of others having issues similar.

- Norman, OK, USA

May 152014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that excessive force was applied to the brake pedal in order to shift out of park and into drive. The contact mentioned that the service traction control and the ecs warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the rear brake lights illuminated when the brake pedal was not applied and when the brake pedal was applied the rear brake light failed illuminate. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 46,700. The VIN was not available.

- Rotterdam Junction, NY, USA