2010 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Apr 012014

TL * the contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the steering wheel seized and the brakes engaged. The contact mentioned that the ESC and the ABS warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 101,000.

- New Smyrna, FL, USA

Jul 132012

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake light illuminate without pressing the brake pedal. When brake pedal is pressed then lights go off for a brief moment then go back on. While accelerating brake lights come on and stay on. I have nearly had several close encounters. I have had this issue twice already. First time the dealer repaired it and that lasted a year. It recurred and I have taken it to an independent mechanic in which he replaced the brake pedal sensor and had it diagnosed. I am still having this occurrence. This is absolutely ridiculous to have this recurring problem. Every time they want a fee plus repair charge. They are making money both by car payment and repairs. What the hell"?" frustrated with Chevrolet.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Sep 172013

Malibu 6-cyl

Driving down the highway and the cruise stopped working. Shortly after that happened the traction control indicator and ABS light came on. A message appeared to have those items serviced. This lasted for the remainder of my 20 minute drive. I started the vehicle back up after sitting for several hours and the lights were off and no message. This happened 4 more times until December. I did not notice that the brake lights stayed on until I was driving at night. I pressed the brake pedal and the brake lights would go out. The brake lights would come back on shortly after I depressed the brake pedal. There were times when just the cruise control would stop working and the brake lights worked incorrectly.

- Greenville, WI, USA

Nov 262013

Malibu 4-cyl

On this date I was attempting to depart on vacation. I got in my car which was parked in my garage and the engine would not crank. It was in park. I instructed my wife to call aaa. While she was gone I opened the door to try again and the car started to roll down the driveway. Foolishly I got behind the car to stop it and got sandwiched between my car and the neighbors. I broke both my legs, had surgery and was hospitalized for a month and am having therapy and cannot walk or work. I reported this to GM in livonia Michigan as instructed by my dealership and have heard nothing. Since then twice the car has been in park with the engine off and has started to roll backward. Since I cannot work and could not pay my bills I have had to file for bankruptcy. I had the car checked by the dealership and they said it was fine.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Oct 212011

Malibu 4-cyl

Error 1. warning errors on dashboard state service ESC, service traction; noticed just after Oct 2011 purchase. Brake position sensor replaced. Problem still occurs on and off to this day (April 2014). Two services have not fixed this problem. Error 2. cruise control would stop working on it's own while at hwy speeds; noticed Dec 2011. Cruise currently (April 2014) will not engage at any speed. Error 3. brake lights will turn on without pedal depression at any speed and conversely when brake pedal is depressed brake lights will turn off; noticed Apr 2012. Problem still occurring on and off today (April 2014). The cruise control and brake light issues are huge safety concerns and with more than 20 almost identical complaints documented and at least one crash, why is nothing being done?

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 102012

I own a 2010 Chevy Malibu and have had issues with my brake lights coming on when I am not applying the brake. I took my car in and had the brake light switch replaced and the issue is still happening. This is a huge safety issue when my brake lights come on without me applying the brake. In addition, there are time the lights do not come on when I apply the brake.

- College Station, TX, USA

May 102013

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake light comes on when the brake pedal is not being pushed. It doesn't matter if the car is sitting in park or being driven on the highway, the brake light stays on when the pedal is not pushed. When the brake pedal is pushed, the brake light goes off.

- Edgewood, KY, USA

Feb 012014

Brake lights come on when not pressing the brakes. Cruise control turns off without tapping the brakes, traction control says it needs to be serviced. I cycle power to the ignition switch and the problem goes away for a few minutes then comes back on. This can cause an accident as the lights turn off when the brake pedal is depressed.

- Reedley, CA, USA

Dec 152013

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving down the highway, I noticed my brake lights were on. The brakes were not pressed, nor was the parking brake on. When I would depress my brakes the lights would go off. It seemed as if the brakes were working in reverse. The car behind me almost rear ended me because they did not know I was putting on my brakes. Also the service traction/ESC light was flashing on my dashboard and the cruise control would not work.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Jun 012012

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated the brake light illuminated when the brake pedal was not depressed and caused the brake to delay when the brake pedal was engaged. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 73,000.

- Pontiac , MI, USA

Jul 092013

Malibu 4-cyl

I went to leave one morning and my car would not go into gear. Only when I pressed the brake pedal completely to the floor would it finally move into drive. After driving it a day or two my service traction and my service ESC lights have been coming on since July. And now today my cruise control stopped working an also my brake lights are not working correctly. When the car is in park they are off and will not come on. When the car is in drive they are on constantly.

- Belleville , MI, USA

Oct 022013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights stay on even when pedal is not pushed. When pedal is pressed lights will flash off, brake lights basically working in reverse. I have to turn the car off for the lights to shut off. Almost was rear ended this morning due to brake lights not working properly.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 102013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the cruise control failed to engage and the brake lights failed to operate intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 58,000. The current mileage was 58,200. Updated 11/13/13 according to the invoice, the brake lights illuminated when they were not needed and did not illuminate when the brake was applied. The dealer replaced the brake pedal position sensor. Updated 11/14/13

- Janesville, WI, USA

May 012013

Brake light stays on or dosen't go on when brakes are applied. Cruise control intermittent

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jul 272013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after leaving a car wash and applying the brakes, the vehicle would not stop while driving 15 mph. The contact crashed into another vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact was wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash however, suffered a back injury and transported to the emergency room. A police report was not filed. The contact did not call the manufacturer. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test however, the dealer stated that they could not find a issue with the braking system. The failure mileage was 31,000. Updated 09/30/13

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Sep 142011

Malibu 6-cyl

Brake light problem that causes the light to illuminate for no reason or to fail to light up when the brake pedal is pressed 1st "fixed" 9/14/2011, then again 11/27/2012. Now it is happening again. This is a significant safety issue that could cause a rear end collision especially with sudden stop conditions. The Malibu is not safe to drive in this condition. Read more:

- Mason, MI, USA

Jul 202013

Malibu 4-cyl

After the cruise control stopped working on my Malibu, I noticed that the brake lights were staying on while driving. The brake lights are on while driving normally, then when the brake peddle is pressed lightly the lights turn off. After the peddle is depressed quite a bit (while braking for stopping or to make a sharp turn) the brake lights will turn back on. After releasing the brakes all the way, the lights will turn off and then back on again a few seconds later. Every time the brake lights turn on, the cruise control stops working.

- L'anse, MI, USA

Jul 212012

Malibu 4-cyl

This car has had a history of malfunctioning brake lights, ESC and traction control system failures over the past year. The car has been in two different dealerships numerous times without repairing the root cause. In may the car was rear ended causing significant damage. The failure of the brake lights to operate correctly may have been a factor. The brake lights operate sporadically. The car is not currently safe to drive after spending last week at a dealership service department. Being a licensed professional engineer it is my opinion that there are several engineering design deficiencies that are not addressed by the repair procedures listed within the service manual. I recommend that these cars be recalled as a car with no known problem can develop this problem without warning placing the driver in harms way. An 8D corrective action request would require a problem containment of issuing a recall immediately of any vehicle that has experienced this problem.

- Longview, TX, USA

May 272013

Coming to a stop on an off ramp, brakes failed couldn't stop. (it had been raining). 2nd incident on June 26, 2013, going down highway and service traction light with sec light came on and car was powering down and steering was difficult. Called landmark service center in taylorville, Illinois they told me to turn the car off, then restart (of course lights went out) and drive it to the nearest GM garage. (I was out of town at the time). When I arrived at the location they put it on the computer and of course nothing showed up because the lights were not on. On Wednesday I took may car to landmark in taylorville to have the oil changed and to see if they could check on the problem. And true to form the computer showed nothing because the lights were no on. But was told if this happened again to go to the nearest service center and don't turn the car off. I've had this experience and it is very dangerous when in traffic. And am scared to drive the car out of town. I like my car and want to keep it but if the problem is not fixed someone may get hurt. But before that happens I will trade the car and I assure you that I will not by another GM product and will tell everyone of the problems I had.

- Taylorville, IL, USA

May 262013

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle brake lights illuminate without applying the brakes. Cruise control fails to activate or disengages unexpectedly. Brake lights fail to illuminate while applying the brakes until approximately 2 seconds after applying the brakes.

- Columbus, OH, USA