2010 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jun 132013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lights remain on while driving, turn off momentarily but then turn back on. Service traction control notice appeared immediately after.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 172013

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving vehicle, the brake lights will illuminate without pressing the brake pedal. Once the brake pedal is pressed, the brake lights go out and will come back on approximately 5 seconds later. In an emergency stop, the driver behind me will not have warning that there is an emergency stop. Additionally, the cruise control will turn off as the system believes the brakes are being applied when they are not. This will happen without warning while driving on the highway.

- Rockledge, FL, USA

May 262013

Malibu 4-cyl

Brake lamps intermittently flash or stay on without the brakes being applied and the cruise control disengages. The warning lights for electric stability control fault and traction control also display.

- Grafton, WI, USA

Oct 162012

Malibu 4-cyl

The brake lights will go on for no reason while I am pressing the gas and then when I press the brake, they will shut off. As well as when I turn on the hazards, my traction light will switch on and when I turn them off the light stays on saying "service traction" and then the left tail light blinker shorts out and pretends like it is going out and will blink rapidly. Then when the brake light issue is happening my cruise control will be faulty. There is a short or something happening with the wiring, it has been bad for a while now. I haven't gotten around to actually doing anything about it until I read this:

- Newton Falls, OH, USA

Oct 082011

Driving down the freeway at night with my cruise control on. All of a sudden it turns off and I notice my brake lights illuminated in my rear view mirror. I tap the brake only to have them come back on. It kept doing it for about 20 miles then stopped. It has happened on numerous occasions and Chevy has failed to do anything about the problem. I feel unsafe driving this vehicle. I have all my documentation of dealer records for this.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Oct 152012

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the brake lights illuminated independently while driving with the cruise control activated at an unknown speed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the brake lights would have to be adjusted. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the brake light switch was replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 05/10/13 updated 05/28/2013

- Kerens, TX, USA

Jan 152013

Malibu 4-cyl

My rear brake light comes on for no reason when I am driving.

- Atoka, TN, USA

Feb 012012

There are three issues that appear to be related: 1) brake lights come on when brake pedal is not being depressed, and stays on, and/or does not come on when brake pedal depressed. 2)"service traction" and "service ESC" warnings come on and remain on. 3) cruise control stops working. You can have one, two or all three of these events happening at the same time. Any of the three can occur first. They can occur each time the car is driven for some weeks, then not occur at all for a few days or occasionally even weeks. Can occur after driving for a few minutes, sometimes after an hour or more of driving. Seems to happen in all kinds of weather conditions, hot, cold, wet or dry. Has been happening intermittently for over a year now, and now seems to happen more often and for longer periods of time than when first began.

- Egg Harbor Twp, NJ, USA

Sep 132012

Malibu 4-cyl

The rack and pinion on drivers side end rattles at slow speed. I have tried 3 different brand front brakes and all have squeaked, the transmission cooler line started leaking.the car has 69,000 on it as of now 1/26/2013. Dealer want fix any of the problem under the drive train warranty. Also has cold start engine knock.

- Sparta, TN, USA

Sep 172012

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while depressing the brakes, the brake lights failed to illuminate and erroneously illuminated when the brakes were not depressed. The vehicle was driven to a dealer where it was found that the brake switch failed. The contact also stated that the traction control warning light erroneously illuminated. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred several times after the repair. The manufacturer was not contacted about the issue. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 43,000. The VIN was not available.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 042012

I've had my car in the warranty repair shop 6 times in the last 3 months. First occurrence I was driving down the road and my warning lights came on for ESC off, service traction control, service ESC at 20 mph. They've replaced 4 parts on my car and today the same lights service traction control and service ESC have come on once again. It varies (speed doesn't matter) whether or not going down the highway or stopping in a driveway when it comes on but warning lights will come on when you touch the brakes. I also observed that the brake lights stay on while going down the road (when its dark outside) but when you apply the brakes the brake lights go off. I feel this could be dangerous if someone is following behind you and thinks that you have let off the brakes but you are actually slowing down. I don't think that they have an apparent fix for this issue as I see several reports from vehicles ranging from 2008 to 2012 online complaining about this same issue. I am to take my car back again for service next week to hopefully get it repaired but I am not so sure they are going to find the problem after already having it in there so many times for the same issue. It is intermittant. When you turn the car off after this occurs the lights will go off. Sometimes only for a short period other times for a week to 3 weeks before it comes on again.

- Windsor, MO, USA