2010 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Jul 062015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the power steering and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 159,000.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Apr 012015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the "service ESC, engine power reduced and traction control" was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on multiple occasions where it was diagnosed that the throttle body, the throttle body sensor, spark plugs, torque sensor, and the steering wheel needed to be replaced. The dealer also stated that a carbon cleaning needed to be performed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Oct 302015

Malibu

When turning or drving car. It would lose speed. Also noticed smell in car of fuel I would get nauseating headaches. Purchased car June 2015 from courstey Ford. Car was in motion on street and highway.

- Danielson,, CT, USA

Oct 122015

Malibu

While driving home from work on October 2016 3 random lights on my dashboard appeared(engine light, service airbag light, ESC). They stayed on for about 2 hours then disappeared for the rest of the day. The following day, all three lights appeared and did not leave for 3 days, then disappeared. Then they reappeared for 2 days, then disappeared. The day after they disappeared, all lights appeared but the engine light. Now I only have ESC and service airbag which comes on and off.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Nov 082015

Malibu

While driving on a highway I experience my steering column vibrate start to vibrate followed by an electroinc warning stating power steering along with a service ESC. My power steering went completely out for the remainder of the drive. I parked and turned off my car. After waiting for several minutes, I started my car and everything seemed normal. I proceeded home and again experience the power steering and service ESC warning light.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering assist and traction control warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Easton, PA, USA

Malibu

I was at burger king drive thru and when I got done ordering I tried to pull around and my power steering light cam on and my ESC light. I could not turn it was very hard I had to turn off my car and it fixed it self. This better be a recall bec why do I got to spend my money to fix this it's

- Aurora, IL, USA

Malibu

While driving on a city street the power steering suddenly failed without warning making the vehicle extremely difficult to handle. The ESC warning light illuminated. Turned the vehicle off then back on and the power steering was reengaged. Shortly after it failed again and the vehicle was driven immediately to the dealership.

- Clayton, IN, USA

Aug 052010

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel was tight and there was a progressing failure in which the steering wheel would randomly lock for an extended period of time. The contact constantly had to turn the vehicle off and restart the vehicle each time the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop, but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The failure mileage was not available.

- Birmingham, MI, USA

Sep 262015

Malibu

Steering column popping, clunking, and binds up during driving or stationary. More often when turning right but happens when turning left. Sometime the car needs more force to return straight after veering right on highway.. could not turn into right lane because the steering wheel would not turn that sharp until it popped. Dealer said the steering box separated and needs replaced; its a $1,095. Repair for

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 212015

Malibu

I received a letter from General Motors dated September 2015 which identified that there is a potential steering problem with my car which may occur suddenly without prior warning. The car may lose power steering assist and be hard to steer according to the letter. The letter offers an extended warranty. I have checked for recalls related to GM vehicles. There is a recall identified for the problems identified in the letter which are identical to those described in the letter. The recall reference details are identified below NHTSA campaign id number: 15V064000 NHTSA action number: EA11014 my question is why isn't this car being recalled to fix this problem? the letter states that if I believe I have this problem I "may want" to contact my Chevrolet dealer. If I incur this problem I can foresee a potential for an accident that could result in property damage, bodily injury or perhaps death. I don't want to wait until that happens. I can provide a scanned.pdf file of the letter; unfortunately I don't see a way to do that on this form.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Aug 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated and the power steering malfunctioned. After the failure, the service ESC warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000.

- Monaca, PA, USA

Sep 202015

Malibu

We had just gotten off of the highway and were in the drive through waiting on our food when all of a sudden the wheel locked up. We had to pull into a parking spot and tried to figure out what was going on. We waited about 1 1/2 and tried to turn the wheel again and it was working. The next morning we rented a car and took the vehicle into the dealer ship to get repaired. They called us back later in the day to tell us that the sensor went out on the power steering and it would have to be repaired. We looked online and saw that there had been recalls related to this issue for the 2010. The dealer told us that we were not covered due to the mileage on the car. In looking online there are hundred's of other people the are having this same issue with the 2010 models. Why is this not covered under a recall if they are aware that this is a problem. We paid $671 our of pocket for this repair.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Feb 052015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the dealer provided a 15 point inspection and indicated that the vehicle was safe to drive. Upon operating the vehicle, the steering wheel had a strong vibration and was tight when turned to the left and right. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering shaft may need to be replaced. The dealer would not release the vehicle. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000. Updated 09/21/15

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 262015

Malibu

Started up car to go to work. The car gave a audible tone and I noticed I had no power steering. Fuse time this has happened and ive recently purchased the car in June.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 062015

Malibu

I was driving on sr-512 near puyallup, Washington. I was just moving to the right at the base of the freeway on-ramp, when my electronic power steering went out. At nearly the same time, electronic stability control activated for no apparent reason. Each of my wheels began braking independent from one another. This latest for approximately 10-seconds and did not happen again. The power steering also returned to normal for a brief period of time. Later that same morning, I was at a stop sign and was waiting to turn right. When traffic cleared enough for me to begin my turn I turned the wheel to the right. Almost at the same moment the steering went out again, and I had to fight to complete the turn. Had I been an elderly person, without sufficient strength to force the steering wheel to turn, I would have certainly crashed into the cars waiting to turn left at the intersection in question. The steering problem has persisted ever since and gotten much worse over time. I've noticed if I stop the car...turn off the ignition...and restart the car the electronic steering resets and will be fine for up to 10-15 minutes. But the problem always returns. I looked online and saw that Malibu from 2004-2009 experienced this same problem and were recalled. I went to my local Chevrolet dealer and asked if they would extend the recall protection to cover my 2010 Malibu and I was advised they would not. This is a real safety problem, and while I can't afford the $2,000 repairs to get it fixed, I can't imagine trying to deal with this issue when winter arrives and the roads turn icy. This problem would most certainly cause and accident. I hope you can influence Chevrolet to extend their existing Malibu recall to cover the 2010 models that have the same problems as those models from the previous seven model years. Thank you.

- Bonney Lake, WA, USA

May 212015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 60 mph on a freeway, the power steering suddenly failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer stated that there were no open recalls for the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure; however, they declined to provide assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 131,000.

- Riverside , CA, USA

Sep 162013

Malibu

The traction control & service electronic stability control (ESC) lights were coming on. Also, the steering column angle sensor was found to be corroded, which may have caused the lights to stay on.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 162015

Malibu 4-cyl

The power steering on our 2010 Chevrolet Malibu stopped functioning recently, requiring the use of great force to bring the vehicle to a safe parked position. Upon restarting the vehicle, the power steering returned, but the steering wheel jerked frequently to the left while driving and idling. The car was taken to the local Chevrolet dealer which diagnosed an "internal fault in the steering column, " and replaced the entire steering shaft. The dealer reported that this is the same safety concern and the same part that has been the subject of a safety recall affecting Chevrolet Malibu through the 2009 year. No recall has yet been issued for this problem for the 2010 vehicle year, so we are out $1,000 for the cost of repair. Why haven't owners of vehicles with this faulty steering mechanism been warned of this problem, and why hasn't a safety recall been issued by Chevrolet?

- Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 042015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 25 mph, the ability to steer seized and no warning lights illuminated. The contact had to maneuver to the side of the road to a complete stop. The vehicle started normally after approximately five minutes. The vehicle was driven to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA