2010 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Oct 072016

I was notified by my oldest daughter that the steering wheel in her car would not turn and that she was stuck in the middle of the street, she was in motion at the time of the incident, she and several other people were able to push the car to the side of the road. I instructed her to turn the car off and that I would have it towed to the service station that it was purchased from. What she explained to me is exactly what is being described in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 dated March 31, 2014.

- Oakdale, CT, USA

Sep 282016

I was on my way to work and I had to stop to get gas. Everything was fine. I pulled away form the pump and proceeded to the end of the driveway. When I left the parking lot to pull into traffic, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. I was driving less than 5 mph. The traction control light was on, ESC message, and service power steering system were activated. I drove back home and went to work in my other vehicle. 162,409 miles. I purchased the car brand new in February 2010. All oil changes and tire rotations have been completed at a Chevy dealership. I've only purchased tires, two batteries, and windshield wipers for my car until last week. That was the engine coolant sensor. Until now I always bragged and said that my Malibu was the best car ever because I never had any issues with it.

- Charleston, MS, USA

Aug 232015

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel was loose and the radio turned off and on independently. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Akron, OH, USA

Aug 112016

Car had been parked for apx 2hrs. Got into car and what appeared to be water dripped from under the dash onto the floor just under the emergency break peddle. It had rained within the last hour. Thought of it as odd but not a real issue. Within one minute of driving the steering wheel shuttered. Steering light on dash eliminated. Steering became difficult. Light went out. Parked car. Restarted car and let idle S few minutes. Steering light went on again. Searched online. Looked under dash. Clear fluid on emergency break peddle. A few drops of moister in same area. Parked car.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Dec 242015

Car lost control of power steering same time as driver side back brake light went out steering wheel shakes bad when slowing down from

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 072013

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the traction control and the service ESC warning indicators had illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission, the power steering control module, and the electronic control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering ) however the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,958.

- Deland, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Car was purchased 12/2009. June of 2013 car was brought to Chevrolet due to a rumble in steering while turning at low speeds. Steering gear was replaced. October 2014 car was returned again to Chevrolet with same problem. Power steering pump was replaced. June 2015 car was returned again with same problem. Steering gear, pump, and all hoses were replaced. Again 6 months later the rumble has returned. GM has stated they will no longer spend money fixing the car even though I have full warranty.

- Munster, IN, USA

May 122016

The contact owned a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph, the power steering seized and the vehicle crashed into a jersey barrier. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The air bags did not deploy and there were no injuries. A police report was filed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The failure mileage was unknown.....updated 07/05/16

- Johnston, RI, USA

Oct 012015

Malibu 4-cyl

Letter from senator brown on behalf of constituent re 2010 Chevy Malibu. The consumer received a recall letter regarding the power steering. When she took the vehicle to the dealer, she was informed they could diagnose the issue using their electronic equipment. On November 1, 2015, the power steering went out again as she was driving. The consumer went to another repair facility and had the problem diagnosed. However, the repair facility was not a GM dealership.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 152016

Right now I have the service ESC and service traction light on again for the 3rd time. I took each time to Chevy classic in grapevine tx and they told me no codes the 1st time, took it to clay cooley in irving--light came on then no codes they showed. Today 4-15=16 light came on again and I took it to classic Chevy and they found 3 codes this time. They say I will have to pay for this! I should not since there was an open recall on 5/14/2014 for 2010 Malibu. My car is doing this now !@!!@ it needs to be fixed at no charge to me!! I feel like this is the most dangerous car on the road for me and my daughter. I don't want to be a statistic if we have a car crash and it was all because Chevy kept making excuses to not fix my crap car for me. The other recall was the brake system not illuminating I got that letter a little too late. Someone rear ended me in Oct 2012 while I was stopped at a red light. Maybe those stupid back brake lights were not working then!!!!!! soemone at classic or clay cooolye Chevy needs to fix this ESC light on my car and fix all the recalls for free. I also have a eps recall letter that was sent to me but someone at Chevy told me the light has to come on for them to fix it. This is ridiculous. My car needs to be fixed for all these problems it has no matter if the light is on or not. But the light is on for service ESC and traction right now!@ GM or Chevy needs to pay for it and fix this car.

- Keller, TX, USA

Mar 302016

At idle and acceleration, the steering wheel will move back and forth.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 202016

The power steering in the vehicle will randomly stop working making it very difficult to steer. Once the car is shut off for a few minutes and turned back on the power steering will work as it should until it randomly goes out again. This is dangerous and should be recalled! the recall only covered up to 2009 and should of included 2010.

- Churubusco, IN, USA

Mar 082016

Car only has about 3,0070 miles on it and power steering has gone out. I get the messages when I start the car that "power steering" and "service ESC." And when I drive there is no power steering.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 152016

While driving the car at normal traveling speed the electronic stability control shuts off and the car goes into manual steering which makes the car very difficult to control and has almost caused two accidents and has made me ark the car because I feel it is far too dangerous to drive. This started occurring february15th and continued until I parked the car on feb2st.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 102015

"takata report" car lose's steering out of no where lights on dash flash.shows recall for other years but not 2010. Even thou sticker on door of car says was built in 2009.type in VIN. Says no recalls at this time is confusing when have seen that there was one. Campaign # 14V252000 figure just another way GM covering up their tracks. At our lives expense. Would enjoy some help from someone!

- Mogadore, OH, USA

Jan 222016

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, the service ESC warning indicator illuminated as the steering wheel seized. The contact had to use great efforts to steer the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle was restarted and the steering operated properly for approximately five minutes. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering) however, the remedy failed to prevent the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jan 012016

2010 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle steering replacement parts issues.

- Eldred, PA, USA

Jan 132016

I lost power steering of my vehicle while I was turning on a major intersection. I almost got into a head on collision with a semi-truck. Faulty electric power steering assist.

- Cicero, IL, USA

Jul 062015

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the power steering and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 159,000.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Apr 012015

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the "service ESC, engine power reduced and traction control" was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on multiple occasions where it was diagnosed that the throttle body, the throttle body sensor, spark plugs, torque sensor, and the steering wheel needed to be replaced. The dealer also stated that a carbon cleaning needed to be performed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Martinez, CA, USA