2011 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Feb 122016

Malibu

Service ESC, service traction, eng pwr reduced. This message has happened to me several times lately, most notably when travelling 70 mph on the interstate. Engine loses all power no mater how far I press the accelerator.

- Jackson, MN, USA

Feb 102016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 45 mph, the engine stalled and the vehicle shook violently. The traction and service ESC warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle did not restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 05/11/16

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 012016

Malibu

The car stumbles on dry roads in sharp turns, like clover leaf ramps getting on and off the interstate, when coasting or braking at 20-25 mph. This is an ongoing problem, but there does not appear to be a solution from the dealer. I'm concerned that this may cause an accident.

- Christiansburg, VA, USA

Feb 062016

Malibu

Going 70 mph on interstate going to mpls and car flashes reduced engine power and suddenly slows down pulled over a total of 8 times to get home. Had to pull over turn car off wait a little while start again and continue. Check engine stayed on. I've been told it's the throttle body so I am replacing and hopefully able to get to work. This is a dangerous flaw on icy roads.

- Nashwauk, MN, USA

Jan 012016

Malibu

Car lost power at 65 mph than reduced power and engine light came on turn car off after trying to coast to ta stop with cars and trucks flying by honking there horn and flicking me off and I was helpless the cars motor was shut off because of the power reduce and ESC than the traction control can on too all need to be serviced fine but than it did it all again after I got everything fixed and then the throttle body had to replaced again and peddle sensor and traction control sensor and still does it the car is trying to kill me and the new mechanic I took it to said he sees this a lot and its sometimes hard to fix because it comes back and than I read online the same thing I thought he was trying to get more money out of me why wont Chevrolet help GM help government needs to step in and make these car places fix this stuff befor a lot of people get killed

- Osceola, IN, USA

Jan 222016

Malibu

30 minute drive to work, in rain at approximately 32 degrees, vehicle was running good until I pulled into a parking spot and an error message appeared (reduced engine power). I later left and the service engine light remained on. I then received an error message (service ESC) and later again received the (reduced engine power) while on the highway. It was snowing during this time. I was unable to fully accelerate but it felt as though the acceleration was not running well. I researched this issue and discovered many people/ Chevy Malibu owners having the same issue with no resolution; even after taking to dealer on many occasions. GM needs to recognize this issue and discover a resolution.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Jan 132016

Malibu

The violently shakes almost as if it is about to die. It doesn't go over 23-30 mph. The car accelerates while holding the brakes. A message displays saying engine power reducing, service traction, service ESC. The car stalls while driving it on the street and highway. I'm scared of hitting someone while my foot is on the brake! my car is at 103K miles on it. I'm out of a car that I'm paying a note on. Its out of warranty. I haven't even had the car for a while year yet. The check engine light is on as well. The code for the check engine light is C0242. This is a very dangerous electrical problem. This should be a recall! many Chevy Malibu owners are having or have had the same issue!

- Monroe, MI, USA

Jan 142016

Malibu

I was stop at a red light and my dash read service airbag. I started to drive off and the dash started flashing service airbag. When in motion and as I start ignition. Also my seatbelt sometimes lock or not lock and is very loose as I adjust seat.

- Lamar, MS, USA

Jan 082016

Malibu

After reading the many many comments here, I can say I'm lucky. Fortunately, I was not driving my car when things went haywire. I returned home from work today and my vehicle was fine. I had to run a few errands but when returning to my vehicle, I noticed this: Vehicle wouldn't start. Fast clicking sound when attempting to turn over. Doors locked and unlocked by themselves during this time. Service ESC, service traction, and ESC off appeared. Vehicle has yet to start and now have no power whatsoever throughout the vehicle. Very odd that this is not a current recall. Help?'

- Nevada, TX, USA

Jan 052016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the reduce engine power and the ESC lights remained illuminated. The vehicle could not exceed 20 mph. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Desoto, TX, USA

Jan 042016

Malibu

Bought the car in February 2013. In June 2014 while driving on the highway it started saying service traction control. Car stalled and stopped. It did this 3 times on the highway. Changed tires. In July 2015 on the highway it did the same thing. Got the full body throttle changed. In November 2015 had taken to another shop. Langs tire and automotive. They changed the full body throttle again. Now January 4, 2016. The car is stalling try push gas when this happens and doesn't accelerate. The service ESC light is on now.. I also have 3 kids and a grandbaby that rides in this car. I'm just so irritated. Then to see how many other people are having same exact problems. They should refund everyone their money back on these cars. Evidently they were not made right in the first place.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Sep 252015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the check engine, electronic stability control, traction control, and electric power steering warning lights illuminated. The vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. In addition, in rainy weather conditions, water leaked through the hood onto the brake lever and the steering wheel seized. The contact pulled over and restarted the vehicle, but the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 052015

Malibu

2011 Chevrolet Malibu has experienced numerous occasions with "hiccups" (temporary loss of power) while driving followed by flashing warning light of traction control then followed with "service ESC... service ECM... ESC off". service engine light also came on and stayed on. By the time we took the vehicle to GM service the engine service light was off and they could not duplicate the problem or get a code but recommended a new ECM. Problem occurred again and returned back to GM service with same result and recommendation. My wife commutes 1.5 hours per day and also drives our 3 children to school each day. After having the vehicle continue with these issues, the vehicle finally stalled completely, on 2 separate occasions, in heavy traffic but would eventually start and run again. She did not feel safe and would no longer drive the car so I drove the vehicle one week each day to work to witness the problems myself. Every single day while driving the vehicle would flash the same error codes on each trip to and from work finally, on the way to the GM service department, the vehicle died in the middle of busy traffic and I had to have it towed. A new ECM was installed (with a cost of $650+) and within two days of driving, the exact same problem has occurred. GM service sent a tow truck and I await their next attempt at fixing this vehicle.

- Brainerd, MN, USA

Dec 232015

Malibu

On 12/23/15 approx 8:40 am, I was driving eastbound on kelly drive approx 40 mph. I was heading into a soft curve, when the ESC came on and the steering wheel locked up. The car shook violently, jerking and swerving from left to right, going into the lane with oncoming traffic, and then jerking back into the lane I was originally in. The car jerked and swerved back and forth, approx 4 time. This lasted roughly about 10 seconds. The ESC light went off and the car felt like it had decreased engine power after that. I came to a red light and the engine shook, shuddered and then settled down. I continued on for another 15 minutes to work and parked the car. I'm afraid to drive it because I could've hit another car, crashed into the side of the wall, or another car could've crashed into

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 162015

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 60 mph, the ESC warning indicator illuminated and the speed decelerated to approximately 15 mph. The contact had to maneuver to the shoulder to a complete stop. The contact waited approximately ten minutes and the vehicle started normally. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000. Updated 03/18/16 the consumer stated the throttle body was replaced at a cost of $500. Updated 03/30/16.

- Ft Wayne, IN, USA

Jun 122015

Malibu

I was driving an my power steering went out in a large curve. 8 had to have the car towed but luckily was not injured. GM recently sent out an "extended warranty" on th power steering module only. This was replaced. In may of 2014 GM sent out recall 13036 that included my car. This recall is not pulling up on my VIN. The letter stated that parts were not yet available for a fix. I have lights and bells that my electronic stability control is not working. They found at yhe dealer that at least once I have had a brake error. In the recall letter it states that the brake lights may function when I am not braking or they may not function when I am. I am afraid to drive my own car! please push for a resolution to this recall.

- Fort Valley, GA, USA

Oct 262015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 55 mph, the ESC warning light illuminated. Suddenly, the diminishing engine power and traction control warning lights illuminated and the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal, but the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was shut off and restarted; however, the service engine warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000. Updated 1/15/16

- Berlin, NH, USA

Oct 022015

Malibu

While driving on I 94 westbound, a message appeared service ESC. Next message was ESC off. Without indicator warning, car was off. I exited based on the jerking motion the car was making. I thought it sounded like the engine was not running. I made it to 8 mile/vernier exit. When I came to a stop for the red light, I realized the engine had quit and the car was not running. I was terrified as I blocked the right lane. Cars traveling behind me had to break suddenly or swerve to go around me. It was a dangerous and frightening situation. I had to pay to have the vehicle towed home. It's sitting in the driveway and will not start. I was coming from therapy due to surgery recovery. I intended to make an appointment with the dealer. I'm afraid to drive it again.

- Grosse Pointe Farms, MI, USA

Sep 282015

Malibu

ESC message starts and turns off intermittently. Very dangerous driving under reduced power on highway trying to exit. Seems to be in the electronics.

- Canton, GA, USA

Aug 252015

Malibu

Cruise control would not disengage until I hit the brakes hard enough to activate the ESC. Recall #14V252000 covered this problem but GM says my VIN was not included. This is a definite safety issue and needs to be expanded to cover all Malibu manufactured during the recall time frame.

- Kinsley, KS, USA