2011 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Dec 182014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration and the ESC, traction control, and reduced power speed warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 212015

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving 2011 Chevy Malibu ltz light came on.got message saying engine powering down.car began to shake and speed dropped to about 20 miles per hour.pulled into cvs pharmacy lot.turned car off and re-started.drove around lot for 1 minute.just as I was about to pull off lot and enter expressway.car shut down completely.unable to re-start.waited 2 hour's for tow on star road side service.plan to have car towed Monday morning.will check for ESC recall on this car.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 192015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, it shook and the traction, the ESC and the engine power reduce warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure occurred on five occasions. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. The VIN was not available.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Feb 162015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle started to shake rapidly and the traction and engine warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,533.

- Fredericksburg , VA, USA

Feb 142015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle decelerated, shook, and the check engine warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. When the contact turned off and restarted the vehicle, it drove normally. The failure recurred on one other occasion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body was faulty. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,200.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 022013

Malibu 4-cyl

Reduced engine speed and jerking while on the interstate.

- Pell City, AL, USA

Dec 242014

Malibu 4-cyl

Check engine light came on, reduced engine speed, low traction lights came on, and could go over 40 mph. We stopped and let it sit for appx 5 minutes, and were able to drive it home. My son has an automotive computer we were able to hook up and it read the mass air flow sensor. We removed it and cleaned it with mass air flow sensor cleaner and replaced it. As soon as we started the car up, the check engine light went off. The car drove fine until 2-7-2015 where the exact same thing happened at appx 74,700 miles. We took it in to the dealership (coughlin automotive in circleville) on 2-14-15. They tested it and it showed the code P2135 #pip2019 they checked connectors for corrosion & damage, but found nothing. They ran the throttle sweep test. It tested ok. They cleared the code & drove & couldn't get it to do it again. They said they just can't replace parts because they cost too much, not knowing exactly what the issue is. They said if it happens again, to bring it in. My wife drives this car every day to columbus Ohio during rush hour, on state highways. I'm scared this is going to happen again during rush hour and something bad is going to happen like a serious accident and or loss of life to someone. So, does GM think parts cost more than a loss of life because of this issue"????"

- Stoutsville, OH, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 65 mph, the engine shook violently, the "reduced engine power" message appeared, and the vehicle would not accelerate. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Spencer, TN, USA

Jan 112015

Malibu 4WD 4-cyl

Two issues exist: 1. the throttle body prematurely wore out and caused various symptoms including but not limited to immediate loss of power, instability in the braking system due to the engine revving up when the vehicle was stopped or slowed, and various warning indicators including traction control and ecs indicators. Steering also was difficult while the symptoms persisted. 2. the connector to the electronic control module (ECM/ECU) that is the vehicle's computer was not completely sealed which allowed water to get inside which started to corrode the pins of the connector. This caused instability in the electrical system of the vehicle.

- Syracuse, UT, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu

While driving through a school zone at approx 25 mph, all of the dash warning lights came on and the dash said "loss of engine power" the ABS and traction control lights came an the vehicle sputtered and would not go more than 5 mph.

- Fort Riley , KS, USA

Jan 272015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet mailbu. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was restarted and operated as normal. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine throttle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Collinsville, IL, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Cannot pass inspection! short circuit fault - camshaft position actuator solenoid fault. Open or short circuit detection condition in the solenoid. This is a known issue and defect with Chevy Malibu and other models and my VIN has not had one recall issued on it - though there have been several recalls already on other Malibu 2011 models. Need to have dateline nbc or an attorney investigate VIN fraud for not having my VIN # assigned these recalls for which the manufacturer would pay for all repairs related to these known safety defects.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 302014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Forsyth, GA, USA

Jan 092015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the engine decelerated independently and stalled. The contact laos stated that the check engine, the traction control, the ABS and the ESC warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Byron, MI, USA

Jan 122015

Malibu

Was idling at a drive thru window and the car dash lights started coming on. Ecs off notification, transaction system off warning light. Car engine was stuttering, than revving up to faster speed. Had car brake on, tried putting it into neutral and it still did the slow down/speed up engine speed. Very dangerous, turned car off and turned it back on. Ecs off light is now dark but engine light is still lit up.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 292014

Malibu

Check engine light came on. Diagnosed as faulty cam solenoids.

- Munster, IN, USA

Aug 262011

Malibu

The engine keeps reducing power the engine light comes on after the car engine power reduces especially when the car sits idle warming up.the throttle body must be a defective component part of the car I took it to my mechanic he did a diagnostic tests and the codes said throttle body.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 232014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving home from being out of town on 10/15/13 while driving on the freeway while driving about 80mph when out of no where the car started to shake and vibrate then the "traction light, service ESC, engine power turning off and car went from going 80mph to 10mph on the freeway, while a big diesel truck was behind me in which I was to be able to pull to the side to avoid being rear ended by the diesel, in which I had my 8 yr old daughter in the car and other family members. On December 23,2014, the same thing occurred while driving the car at 60mph it reduces speed to almost zero mph, shakes with the "traction sensor light and "service ESC engine power turning off comes on and the car stalls! leaving me stranded and having the vehicle towed again! the first time this occurred the dealership told me since the engine light wasn't on anymore it would be difficult to diagnose!? I continued to drive the car until the second incident! I called 2 Chevrolet dealers in fresno, ca I was told they haven't heard any complaints, which is astounding because after reading the numerous complaints on this website of others having the same issue with the same car is unbelievable until there's a law suit!

- Fresno, CA, USA

Mar 152014

Malibu 6-cyl

Since March 2014, I had instances where the Chevy Malibu I was driving warned me on the dash that I needed to service the ESC. It would tell me ESC turned off and traction control turned off. This message would disappear when I turned the car off and restarted. It started doing it more frequently so I called GMC on August 2nd. I had to wait 2 weeks until they could get me in to the dealer. This whole time my car was shutting off my traction control. The malfunction indicator light came on solid and stayed on for 3 days on September 12th. They paid to diagnose and found that my 4th cylinder was missing and was leaking 45%. on September 17th, they suggested $140 for a carbon coil flush to see if it could possible fix the problem. On September 25th they did the coil flush at 10 am. At 1:06 I got the message that ESC active. I went on a 2 week vacation and did not drive my car. On October 12th, at 2:08pm ESC warning and shut traction control off. October 13th, at 5am the warning indicator light came on solid. On October 27th, they replace my intake/exhaust valve on the left side. I have not received any warning lights since then, but I drove from August to the end of October with the car shutting off the traction control. I can imagine trying to drive in heavy rain and dying because I didn't have traction control when I needed it most.

- Carthage, MO, USA

May 132014

Malibu

I am having problems with my 2011 Malibu lt. It will randomly read "service traction" and "reduced engine power" and come to a stop. It is unpredictable and very very dangerous. I cannot afford to keep taking it to Chevrolet. They have the codes but said they have to replicate it. If you google Malibu loses power, service traction. You will see many coming up with the same issue and no one can fix it. Very dangerous!!! why hasn't there been a recall or something to fix this problem? I have no choice but to drive it and wish I never bought it. I have had this problem since April or May. True lemon!!!!

- York, SC, USA