2.9

2011 Chevrolet Malibu fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jan 012016

Malibu

My service ESC, service traction, service engine lights came on. Took my car to dealership where they couldn't duprivate the issue. $240. Problem came bk the next day. Took my car bk to shop with light on and they said I needed an engine flush. $180. Problem still came back.took my car to another shop, bc I felt I was getting taken advantage of after being charged $180 just for diagnostic. This shop changed spark plugs and checked wires. $100. Problem came back. Got in touch w GM. No recall. No assistance until I took my car back to dealership. They kept my car for 4 days and finally told me I need a new motor! it's a 2011, with 110K miles and I need a new motor?? that it would be $4000 I left with my car, because I don't have that kind of money just laying around in hopes that it might fix the problem. Driving a car that scares me bc the lights are constantly flashing at me all of the time now, car sputtering out while at low speeds or idle, co engine flashing, and my car acting like it's gonna die any minute! not to mention the gas it's consuming on top of the almost 700 I'm already out. This is dangerous and quite disheartening to but a car from Chevrolet, it only be 5 yrs old and have this many issues with no resolve. Seeing all of the other complaints similar to mine, someone is going to get hurt. Please help

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Sep 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start or would immediately shut off once started. Also, while driving various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump was faulty. The fuel pump was replaced, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 282015

Malibu

In June 2015, vehicle stalled while travelling at 35 mph. Could not restart with jump.car would turn over but shut right down on stepping on accelerator. Repair shops have failed to pinpoint problems. GM reports they have been looking into the problem. Internet research shows problem is common. Have small child and if car stalls on major highway it would be a major safety issue which could cause death or serious injury. If GM is aware of problem are they waiting for a fatality before doing something. Repair shops have no solutions, GM has no solutions. What is the consumer to do. I do think this situation which appears to not be isolated be investigated.

- Charlton, MA, USA

Jul 242015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Morris, MN, USA

Jun 212015

Malibu

Car starts and then dies.will then crank but not fire.after several tries it starts but just sputters til you step on gas.it has done this on 4 occasions.the dealer has changed the fuel pump, purge valve and cam shaft control solenoid.it still has the same problem.

- Crestwood, KY, USA

Jun 232015

Malibu

I feel there is a serious issue with the 2011 Chevy Malibu fuel system which may be causing the engine to stall, fail while in motion, or just won't start at all.....this has been an ongoing issue for my vehicle since Sept 2014.my vehicle is out of warranty and has been towed to the local dealer many times for what seem to be the same issue. When vehicle arrive at dealer, it seems to work just fine which make makes it harder to detect the issue. My vehicle will be at the dealer weeks at a time to get "I don't know what the problem is" or "bring back when problem worsens".in trying to get to the bottom of the issue my car has had the relay switch replaced twice, the junction block assembly replaced, several recalls repaired in between, and now the fuel pump which was replaced in May 2015. As of today, June 23rd 2015, my car is still doing the same exact thing as before. Starting on minute, doesn't start the next or just stop while in motion. There's a serious issue somewhere and I've spent way too much money to be getting the response "I just don't know" which isn't the answer.

- Tunica , MS, USA

Apr 182015

Malibu 4-cyl

Fuel pump failed(stopped working completely) while parked at the community center. Luckily I was not driving when this occurred. This is as serious an issue as the ignition switch problem if not more so. I, see more complaints about the same problem, and they are driving at the time of failure. Cars should not be having this many fuel pump issues at the time they are occurring. The problem is compounded when the vehicle runs poorly and is misdiagnosed for another problem and unnecessary repair. Please make GM acknowledge this problem.

- Warren, MI, USA

Feb 202015

Malibu 4-cyl

Several warning lights came on (ecs and traction control) and the display read, "loss of power". I was at highway speed and the car slowed to about 15mph. I was unable to increase my speed. After turning off the ignition switch in a parking lot, and waiting for about 15 minutes, I started the car and it ran fine. However, on the following Monday the same thing happened 6 times while trying to get it to bergstrom Chevrolet dealership. The first attempt to repair the problem only made it worse, and the second time a new throttle body assembly was installed. This repaired the problem. On my son's Chevy truck the same problem was covered under a recall, but on my Malibu I was told it was not. On the internet I was able to find six pages of similar problems that other Malibu owners had. They too were told that it was not covered under a recall. This type of problem could have, and maybe has, caused numerous accidents and I assume injuries. There should be a recall and I should be completely reimbursed for my repair expense.

- Verona, WI, USA

Mar 032015

Malibu

I was driving my 2011 Chevrolet Malibu at about 40 mph on a fairly busy 2 lane street. Without warning the car lost power. A message appeared in the information screen indicating something like "reduced power to the engine". also, a message indicated that the engine was operating under reduced power mode because I needed to service ESC, and the engine light was displayed as well on the dashboard. I was fortunately able to get the car pulled off of the road and into a parking lot. I read the owners manual and essentially found out that the vehicle was operating in "limp mode". I took the car to the dealership and found this to be a "common problem" for Chevy Malibu models. My car was, of course, out of warranty and not covered under any sort of recall, so I had to pay about $500 for the repair. My concern is that this is a safety issue as I suddenly and without any warning lost power. Had this occurred when trying to pull across a heavy intersection or merging into traffic this could have caused a serious injury. Further, I see reports all over the internet about this issue and I am reporting this as a serious safety concern - had this situation happened under different circumstances it very easily could have caused an accident and serious injury to someone. I since followed up with Chevrolet service and they essentially told me that they are "aware" of the issue but there are no recalls etc...

- Howell, MI, USA

Feb 202015

Malibu

My car will not start. It turns over but won't start. Battery is fully charged, gas tank full, wiring is good, spark plugs are brand new, just won't start and I don't know why.

- Fort Dix, NJ, USA

Jan 082015

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving home in the snow and my traction control kept going on. Then something seemed wrong and suddenly my speed was reduced to 5-10 mph and my car started shaking and couldn't get a grip on the road at all. Then the car said engine power reduced, service traction, ESC off. Luckily I was only going about 20 mph because it was snowing. Normally I would have been on the expressway going 55mph! and I have 2 kids! luckily no one was hurt. So I took it in to the dealer and they said I needed to replace throttle body and exhaust cam actuator which cost me almost $1000 and wasn't covered under my 5 year power train warranty. My car is almost 4 years old with 47000 miles.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 092014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled on several occasions. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. After approximately three months, the dealer stated that the fuel lines needed to be cleaned and carbon buildup from the intake valves needed to be removed. In addition, the dealer reprogrammed the codes and performed a fuel induction cleaning. After the repairs were performed, the air bag, the brakes, the seat belt, and the engine warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control), but was unaware if the recall repair was performed. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear fuse box and the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,687.

- Forestville, MD, USA

Feb 122014

Malibu

Car suddenly decelerated and started sputtering. Engine acted like it was going to quit and did not have any power. Would not get over 15mph. Put me in a very dangerous situation in rush hour traffic. I am very lucky no one was killed. Decelerated at a very fast rate. Dealership diagnosed the problem as the throttle body. The throttle body had to be replaced for $675. Was not covered under the 100K powertrain warranty. Chevrolet conveniently stopped covering the throttle body starting in 2011. From looking at other complaints for the 2011 Chevy Malibu this seems to be a very common problem and is clearly a defective or poorly designed part.

- Millington, TN, USA

Feb 212013

Malibu 4-cyl

The fuel pump has burned connectors that are inside the fuel tank, the board lights intensity increases or decreases or stays off, all fuses are good, the GM is aware of this and 72 hours ago I'm waiting for an answer, I have fear that happen again, so I'm not using the car, where I can send pictures of the fuel pump, when I opened the case I ask them GM car rent it and revise mine to see if it was safe but until now no response, it seems that they want the car to burn.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 302013

Malibu

Went out to crank the car. It would not start. Sent in to be fixed. Picked car up today and inside panel is not working neither is the lights. I have to call service again in the a.M.

- Clinton , SC, USA