2011 Chevrolet Malibu seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu:

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 042015

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the service air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the sensing diagnostic module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,573... updated 02/19/15

- Leslie , MI, USA

Dec 252014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the service air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the air bag was deactivated. As a result, there was a wire connection that failed and the wiring module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 59,356.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 272014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the service air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 43,000.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Nov 122014

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated continuously. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was unavailable.

- Marion , SC, USA

Nov 242014

Malibu 4-cyl

As I was driving down the highway, my service air bag light illuminated. Onstar was called and they diagnosed the car as having an malfunction in the air bag, pulled off to the side of the road and had car towed to nearest dealership. As I was waiting for the tow company to arrive, I tried to start the vehicle after 2 hours to which all lights started flashing and car went completely dead. Note, car was just in the shop 2 days prior for oil change and recall on BCM. Dealership came back with a $1200 estimate for repair or replacement of an airbag. $858 for the airbag replacement and $241 for a new battery. Dealership would not cover this under warranty stating sometimes electronics have issues.

- Kansas City , MO, USA

Nov 192014

The service air bag indicator light remains lite and the words stay on the display window. Had a diagnostic done on the car on 11/29/2014 and was told that the computer module is bad and needs to be replaced. I was told that if in a accident that the air bags might not deploy. Could this also cause the air bags to deploy unexpectedly" if this is a saftey issue, shouldn't it be covered no matter if the warranty/extended warranty has expired"

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Oct 312014

Service airbag light came on when I started my car its been two days now and it hasnt gone away ive never hit anything nor have I been hit by anyone...

- Harrisburg , PA, USA

Sep 012014

I was driving on the highway when suddenly the warning "service air bag" popped up on my dashboard message screen. I was not in an accident nor did I hit anything. With the recent recalls, I am very concerned.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 052014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving and the passenger air bag light came on and will not shut off. I called the dealer and they want to charge me just to look at my car. I have never been in any auto accident for this to even happen. This must be a defective air bag> please check into this matter.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jul 212014

Malibu 4-cyl

2011 Chevy Malibu LT2 with a 4 cylinder engine, 28000 miles, 3-1/2 years old, in excellent condition, out of the blue shows the "service air bag" and the air bag light stays on.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Aug 182013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 70 mph, the contact drove over rumble strips and crashed into the guard rail. The vehicle spun around and crashed into another guard rail. The air bags failed to deploy. The passenger sustained a fractured sternum, injuries to the left shoulder blade and right knee. The driver sustained a wrist injury that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and declared as destroyed. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 400.

- Carthage, MO, USA

Jul 292011

Brakes fail emergency stop with about 150 feet from accident and airbag was delayed in deployment.

- East Lansing, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Malibu 4-cyl

My light keep coming on saying service airbag.

- Danville, VA, USA

May 292013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while at a stop, a vehicle crashed into the contact's vehicle. As a result the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were two injuries reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 140,000.

- Bell, CA, USA

Jan 092012

Light on dash console randomly comes on alerting that there is an issue with the air bag system and also reminding me that I need to put on my seat belt when my seat belt is already fastened properly. These issues have been present for almost the entire life of the vehicle but I have caught hell from the Chevy dealerships to have them corrected and am very dissatisfied and will never purchase another Chevy product as this seems to be a common problem.

- Havelock, NC, USA

Mar 212012

I had just got the vehicle 2 years ago and I have had a continuous problem with the cars air bag sensors. I had take the vehicle to the dealers after only having the vehicle for 3 weeks so they can fix the problem the 1st time they had to me that this was a regular problem with this make and year. After about another 10000 miles later the light was on and off again and did not want to fix this again.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Dec 112013

Malibu 4-cyl

Service air bag light came on when vehicle was started. The next morning it did not come on. A couple months later, same issue, service air bag light came on when vehicle was started. It continued to come on every time the vehicle was started for a couple of days. We called the dealer, they said it would cost 400 for the new part and another 200 to "flash" the computer. They also said our airbag would not work as long as this light was on. A couple days later, the light went off and stayed off. Then on 3/26/14, the service air bag light came on again, and continues to come on every time the vehicle is started. Looks like this is a common issue and since the air bags will not work, it jeopardizes the safety of the vehicle and GM should be responsible for the fix.

- Siloam Springs, AR, USA

Mar 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

The airbag light came on out of nowhere, and when we took it to our dealership they said that this sometimes happens with the Malibu. They advised us that the "airbag control system" had died and though the car was still drivable that in the event of a collision the airbags would not work. The service to replace the "brain" would cost $1000 parts and labor. After throwing a small fit they "got with the Chevy customer team" and were able to do it for just cost of parts ($400 +/-). we paid for the service, after much complaining, and the car has been fine since. We were advised that it is possible it could happen again, but not to worry because the parts carried a 1 year warranty, yippee. After doing some research online it seems as though this is a common problem after a hard braking event, that the control box shorts out. I think that if this is a common issue, a recall should be initiated. It wouldn't be a problem if it was something inconsequential, but this is a vital safety component. We had to get it fixed, I'm not letting my wife drive her car without airbags.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Jan 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was at a stop trying to make a left turn across traffic at 7pm. When I had a chance to go my car would not go forward. It would only rev. I threw it in park then to drive...nothing. Tried manual. Nothing. Reverse was all that worked. Thankfully I was able to reverse out of intersection. Had wrecker take to the dealership. Friday night they tell me car is ready that the chip in transmission went out. Go Saturday to get it and when I turned car on it read "service air bag". they tried to clear code but failed. Said that there was a true problem and would look at it Monday the 20th. Just got a call saying the air bag chip shorted out and generally all in all is a $700 fix. They allegedly spoke to GM who said just charge $100 deductible. Due to some issues I had with dealership they said they would only charge me $50 and they would cover the rest. I do not have my car back yet as they are working on it still. Glad I still had powertrain warranty so right now the only out of pocket cost with this whole ordeal will be the $50. However I feel I nor anyone else should have to pay since I was told this is a "known &common" issue.

- Benbrook, TX, USA

Jan 102014

Malibu 4-cyl

Hello I was driving my car ( Chevy Malibu 2011) down the street and all of the sudden the airbag came on. I was not speeding I was going 30 mph. I took it to my local mechanic and he told me the airbag in the driver's seat has an error code B0014. I noticed it is a common issue with GM motors in general. The dealership wants me to pay for the diagnostic along with repairs. The car did not have a crash nor an airbag deployment.

- Houston, TX, USA