2012 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 162015

Malibu 4-cyl

We have talked to out two different Chevy dealers about this and even went through arbitration over our airbags. Nothing has ever been found to be wrong. The service air bag light has come on again. I was driving approximately 30 mph and the service air bag light on the display come on momentarily (about 60 seconds) and went off. It came on for about 15 seconds and started flashing, then it stayed solid again. Now, every time I start the car, it is on.

- Austin, AR, USA

Feb 022015

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module system/ brake apply sensor recall notice. The consumer stated he waited for the details to restore the safety of the vehicle. However, unable to wait any longer, he was forced to sell the vehicle.

- Rego Park, NY, USA

Mar 042014

Malibu 6-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer wants to be reimbursement for repairs due to recall for vehicle.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Jan 232015

Malibu 4-cyl

For the past 2 weeks, I had a problem with my car starting. I would drive to work fine but when I would leave from work my car wouldn't start. Initially, I thought it was the battery so I had it jumped. I immediately took it to autozone to have the battery tested. I was told the battery was in excellent condition. My father advised to put heet fuel injector cleaner as it was extremely cold and he thought maybe water got into the fuel line. Well that same day after stopping to pick up my child for 5 minutes I shut the car off. It wouldn't start. I called the tow company but after waiting on hold 20 minutes later I start my car at the direction of the roadside assistance tech. It started. Then it happened again a couple of days later but I let it sit and tried it again. Car ran fine for a week then as I was leaving for lunch today it wouldn't start. I had it towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. Come to find out that the fuel wires melted onto the fuel box and they had no idea why. This sounds like a serious matter because I wonder what would've happened had I continue driving with melted wires on the fuel box. Sounds like a fire waiting to happen. I felt that this is some type of defect because that isn't normal wear and tear.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 052012

Malibu

Driving into town, alerted by pedestrian that my car was on fire underneath. Everything failed, while I tried to pull off the roadway. Had to kick out the window to get out. When I barely got out, the entire car was in full blaze.

- Lucedale, MS, USA

Nov 302014

Malibu 4-cyl

The interior light panel went completely dark, after a few minutes it lit up again. This has been happening more frequently lately. The radio stops playing and the panel reads "auxillary mode"and then back to radio, then back to "auxillary mode". I have to turn the radio off and on for it to start playing again. It is happening more frequently. When I plug in my auxillary cord to listen to my ipod, it shorts out. The clicker to unlock/lock the car stopped working as well, so I went to get a new batery. They tested the battery and said it was fine. Also my rear defroster does not work at all now.

- Sioux City , IA, USA

Dec 082014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the theft deterrent system warning light illuminated continuously and vehicle stalled. The failure occurred on a daily basis. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a new theft deterrent module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Washington Dc, DC, USA

Apr 112014

Malibu

The interior light panel went completely dark, after a few minutes it lit up again. This has been happening more frequently lately. The radio stops playing and the panel reads"auxiliary mode". I have to turn the radio off and on for it to start playing again. It is happening more frequently. When I plug in my auxiliary cord to listen to my ipod, it shorts out. The clicker to unlock/lock the car stopped working so I went to get a new battery. They tested the battery and said it was fine. My rear defroster does not work at all.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). However, the part needed was not available. The dealer indicated that it would take months before an appointment could be scheduled. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Fernley, NV, USA

Nov 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to body control module recall notice. The consumer stated while driving, the air bag deployed and caused him to have an accident. The consumer was injured. The consumer sent in a recall notice along with his complaint.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Sep 222014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the part was not available for the recall remedy. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 022014

Malibu

I have a 2012 Chevrolet mailbu where the key is getting stuck in the ignition. Really hard to get off of acc without jiggling gear shifter and turning wheels. This has happened three times. There is a recall already initiated but not for my year of car!

- Raytown, MO, USA

Sep 272014

Malibu 4-cyl

In June 2014 car wouldn't start after sitting 4 hours towed in said theft system made new key which I had to pay for, towed in again 3 days later same problem, started for dealer in am another $120. 4 days approx later again got to work then wouldn't start. Replaced rear U-bec, wiring harness junction block, relay, because melted connector with five leads 30 amp fuse. Then 9/23/2014 car started got to daycare within 5 minutes of being off no start. Waited then started ten minutes later. 9/272014 got to work lunch time no start same wanted to start like getting no fuel then 3 hours later started drove to dealer.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Aug 252014

Malibu 4-cyl

In 8/25/2014 it started when my wife want to start the car and it didn't just cranks but wont started, it did after a few tries, and then happened again the same day to my son and after a little while it started right back, and that same week I was driving about 30 miles per hr.and all of sudden it just died with no codes or check engine light displayed, it is too dangerous that happen in the middle of a main road because it didn't want to re start I have to push it across of the road with all this cars behind you and be afraid of being hit.it seems that it been more and more frequently happening this week and takes longer wait to re start it, I just want to know if is a defect of this Malibu 2012 I. I heard that Malibu's have a issue with the antitheft system. We scanned computer history and it shows antitheft history stored on it. Am afraid of go into expressway and run into an accident. Please help my car is a 2012 Impala with 65000 miles on it.

- Cicero, IL, USA

Jul 192014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number:14V252000 ( electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Jul 112014

Malibu 4-cyl

Driving and car had severe electrical problem that caused the car to randomly stall while driving. We lost power steering and power brakes. The instrument panel starting going crazy displaying all lights, saying device ESC and the doors locked and unlocked. The engine stalled and transmission started jolting around. The car would not turn back on after turning it off. Took the car to starling Chevrolet to get it fixed the following Monday since closed Sunday. Before taking to the dealer took the car to auto zone to check the battery. Autozone stating battery was great. Chevrolet didn't look at the car at all Monday, and Tuesday stated we need new battery. I advised of auto zone reading and was told autzone was wrong. Picked up the car Tuesday after having a brand new battery put in for $270. Today is the following Friday and the car did everything again while driving and will not start. Now I have to tow the car to Chevy again.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 072014

Malibu

I was driving on a side road, when all of a sudden my car just shut down and I coasted to a stop. I was stranded in a turn lane for about 20 minutes. During which time I had already called a tow truck as I could not get my car started again. After the 20 minutes I thought I would give it another try and it up and started, and I drove back to work. I made it home that night, but was stranded again when I left the place. I was headed home and it stopped one more time before I made it there. I took it to an auto shop the next day and made it fine. The auto shop did a test drive and it stopped on a road and they failed to get it started. It turns out it is for an ignition switch, which there are recalls for other GM vehicles for the same part, just not a 2012 Malibu. So I have to pay to get it replaced and hope for an extension of the recall for the Chevy Malibu.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 292014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was just arriving home and while driving I felt a change in the gears of my car but when I arrived home and place the car in park the ignition would not turn completely off and I had to leave my car on for approximately 4 hours before I left for work.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Sep 152012

Malibu

TL- the contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the air pressure sensor illuminated multiple times intermittently. The authorized dealer reset the code and the failure recurred. The contact had difficulty activating the cruise control and had to make multiple attempts to get it to work. Also, the battery had drained intermittently and the window wipers had to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5. pam

- Marrietta, GA, USA

Nov 142013

Malibu 4-cyl

My engine light came on, so I shut the car down and restarted, engine light went off, however when I pulled out of parking space, I noticed a grinding sound coming from the front of my car, then my breaks starting squeaking really bad. Now I constantly hear that sound when starting my car in early mornings, the squeaking is constant. Also my radio and defrost goes in and out, my radio shuts down by itself and then returns on, my back defroster doesn't seem to work, when it rains, my back window is not defrost, so I can't use my back window for viewing when we have heavy rain or extremely cold weather.

- Baltimore, MD, USA