2012 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 252014

Malibu 4-cyl

In 8/25/2014 it started when my wife want to start the car and it didn't just cranks but wont started, it did after a few tries, and then happened again the same day to my son and after a little while it started right back, and that same week I was driving about 30 miles per hr.and all of sudden it just died with no codes or check engine light displayed, it is too dangerous that happen in the middle of a main road because it didn't want to re start I have to push it across of the road with all this cars behind you and be afraid of being hit.it seems that it been more and more frequently happening this week and takes longer wait to re start it, I just want to know if is a defect of this Malibu 2012 I. I heard that Malibu's have a issue with the antitheft system. We scanned computer history and it shows antitheft history stored on it. Am afraid of go into expressway and run into an accident. Please help my car is a 2012 Impala with 65000 miles on it.

- Cicero, IL, USA

Aug 052014

Malibu

My car was involved in an accident where my friend applied the brakes and was forced into hydroplaning into a barrier, another vehicle and a person. My airbags did not deploy as the sensor was not hit nor did the onstar become alerted that the vehicle had been in an accident. After fighting with insurance companies, my car was totaled then declared not totaled, and repaired. I received the notice of a recall much later after the car was in the accident.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

May 252014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle made an abnormal noise and the engine stalled. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the shoulder and restarted the vehicle. The problem was experienced multiple times. The vehicle has been taken to an independent mechanic who could not diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer has been notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Humble, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Malibu 6-cyl

Since I purchased my car in the later part of 2012 (used with 40000mi) I have had several incidents starting with the radio, when I turned on the rear defrost the radio would go to complete static on all stations. While traveling approx. 30mph the service engine light would come on then after stopping the car and restarting the light would go off as well as minimal turning to the right the service ESC light would display, in addition to the remote start not working half the time, I have replaced the key fob and gotten a new key and still the same problem exist. The dealership has replaced the radio with a brand new part and still the stations are not clear and while sitting in the car parked all of the lights in the dash sometimes come on for service and the car would idle low then high. The lights in the dash will sometimes completely dim and the display on the radio will be digital. My car now has about 65000 miles on it, and still the car sometimes stalls at stop signs, will be without power and the service ESC displays as well as service engine. This has happened too many times to count at this point. Tuesday May 6 2014 my husband was driving approx. 25mph all the lights in dash came on and engine stalled on him so he restarted the car, upon restarting all the lights in the display turned off. Saturday May 10 2014 the radio was complete static...this is a constant issue, I keep my gas tank plentiful and have only owned GM vehicles. I am researching other makes at this point.

- Sheridan, AR, USA

Feb 242014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled after initial start-up and could not be restarted. The failure occurred eight times over a period of five weeks. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 072014

Malibu 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Malibu with horrible shifting - 1st to 2nd is a hard shift and 2nd - 3rd isn't a whole lot better. When it down shifts while coming to a stop it again shifts hard and sometimes abruptly. The RPM gauge also flares when shifting down. I have been jutted out into oncoming traffic when it decides to slip shift. I am afraid to drive this car with my family. The worst part is that the dealership cannot find anything "wrong" with it or tell me why it does this because the poor shifting is intermittent, not constant. Not happy!

- Holt, MI, USA

Jun 132012

Malibu

While driving car have noticed that it shifts hard either up or down. This has happened too many times to count. Also car feels like it is trying to stall and I can not accelerate. This has happened several times once on a very busy intersection in my city. Have taken car to dealer and was told could not find anything was probably bad gas and to put premium gas in. This did not help either. Car continued to have same issues. Called dealer to let them know. Said nothing wrong. I have two small children and worry about our safety each time I drive this car. Hoping that GM does something to fix this issue soon. Looks like we are not alone with this issue.

- Sioux Falls , SD, USA

Jul 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

Vehicle has the check engine light come on and reduced power kicks in with no warning. Vehicle has been driven at speed on highways when this happens and automatically slows to 40 mph. Vehicle has been taken to the dealership and repairs made the first 2 times, vehicle has been taken back 3 more times for the same issue, no codes showing in the computer. Issue also reported that if at a stop, vehicle has no response when you step on the gas. The dealership is currently trying to report this as a different issue so they can avoid dealing with the lemon law in the state.

- Pasadena, MD, USA