2012 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 122016

Malibu

This is the second time this happened. I was driving on I-75 in Michigan doing 75 miles an hour. Suddenly that ESC service, traction control and reduced engine power display showing on the dash. The car started to shake violently. It immediately slowed itself down in heavy traffic. Barely making it off the side of the road without causing an accident. Dealership tells me there's nothing they can do about it.

- Flint, MI, USA

May 162016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the traction control and check engine indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure recurred numerous times. While the vehicle was idling, the ESC and traction control were off. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the valve spring failed or fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Donnellson, IA, USA

Sep 122016

Malibu

While in motion more than two dozen times on city streets, on busy highways and while turning in a busy intersection with children in the car. 2012 Chevy Malibu stops while in motion on the above stated streets, highways and intersections. Read where someone beat on the rear fuse box then car starts so I tried it and it works for a little while but doesnt solve said problem. Checked battery. Battery is good. Check engine light and ESC light stays on. ESC light only goes off at high mph. Have to let car sit for awhile to start before knew about fuse box trick. Someone that tried to help me get off middle of busy street said it sounds like a fuel delivery problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 022016

Malibu

While making left hand turn engine stalled lost power for a moment then restarted several times in the last year.

- Appleton, WI, USA

May 212016

Malibu

I had a problem with my 2012 Chevrolet Malibu 2 times now in the past 2 weeks. The car begins to idle extremely rough and looses nearly all of the engine power as if it is running on 1 or 2 cylinders. The service ESC, service traction and engine pwr reduced notifications display on my dash as pictured. I turned the car off and let it sit and then restarted the car to find it runs perfect and has no warning messages or symbols on. This is a very serious safety problem that GM needs to address. I searched this issue online just to find it is very common and nobody provides a fix.. I really wish that I had never purchased a GM vehicle.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Apr 152016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The traction warning light illuminated briefly. In addition, the vehicle stalled without warning and would require multiple attempts to restart. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failures was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Fogelsville, PA, USA

Mar 102016

Malibu

Car will not start.son was driving and it just stalled out fortunately he was not going fast. Tried to restart but no luck. Did research and found that there are hundreds of Malibu owners with this exact same issue. As a dad and a consumer I would like GM to fix this issue before someone gets hurt or killed because of this issue. We called the dealer and was told it would 400$ to fix.looks like us consumers are getting screwed again can U help?

- Henrico, VA, USA

Feb 012016

Malibu

2012 Chevy Malibu 1st occurrence¿. parked but running the car dies and will not start back. No check engine lights are on. Let them car set for 20 or so min and it started back with no issues. 2nd occurrence¿. a few days later we stopped at the store and came back out and the car would not start. No check engine lights or anything. Kinda sounded like it was out of fuel when you tried to start it. We had someone pick us up and went back in an hr or so and the car started. Took it to the shop and they said the only code it was throwing was low voltage. We replaced the battery. 3rd occurrence.. a week later I used the fob to start the car. When I went out the car was shut off and would not start back. Same as before just acted like it was out of fuel. Took it to the shop and the computer was still not showing codes. He replaced the fuel relay. 4rd occurrence.. a week later I was on my way to work and it acted like I wasn¿T pressing the fuel petal and by the time I got over to get to the shoulder it started working again. I drove it to home depot on my lunch break and came back out and it would not start. Same as before. I called a co-worker to pick me up then went back a few hours later. It started so I took it back to the shop. It did not have any codes thrown. He replaced the fuel pump. 5th occurrence¿ 4 days later I left to take the kids to school and the car died while I was driving. I was able to get to a safe pull off and the car would not start back. I had it towed straight to the shop and they said the car started once it got there and the computer didn¿T throw any codes.. I don't know what to do. When I search my prob on the web there are several that have the same issue. I

- Clinton, TN, USA

Jan 142016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the low traction, service ESC, and low engine power warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle decelerated independently. The failure recurred six times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle cover needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000. Updated 05/11/16

- Bay City, MI, USA

Dec 232015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle began to decelerate. Approximately five seconds later, the engine lost power without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure could not be diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred and the brakes failed to function properly. The vehicle was taken to another independent mechanic and a dealer, but they could not diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle lost engine power, but the headlights and air conditioning still functioned. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Dec 212015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Dec 022015

Malibu

While driving home one night last week, going about 60 mph, my engine cut off. I had to steer the car off the road, and started it back up. Drove another half mile or so, and the car did the same thing. This time, the car would start then immediately shut off. Car would not stay cranked for more than 1 second or so. Took car to dealership the next morning, car fixed under power train warranty. The very next, day, engine shut off while at a complete stop at a red light. Car would not start back up, had car towed to dealership. Dealership has had the car for 5 days now, still cannot figure out what the problem is. The car shutting off while driving is not the first time this has happened, every time I have reported to dealership, and they cannot fix my issue. This is a very serious matter, I have involved Chevrolet customer care, and would like to hear from a GM corporate representative.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Oct 272015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted. The air bag warning indicator illuminated and the service air bags soon warning message appeared. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 58,800.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 272015

Malibu

Power ESC, traction control, reduced power to engine, and tire lights all came on. Car would not go over 30 mph. Car was hesitating and cutting off and once placed in drive car took off by itself with rpms at 3 and same with reverse, I took foot off brake and car took off in reverse with rpms a bit over 2. air conditioning will not work steadily and its been to a few shops and brakes will not work properly and they have been changed twice.

- Morton, MS, USA

Aug 182015

Malibu

The engine light came on and a code read engine power reduced service ESC. My car was shaking and would not gain speed. I was finally able to make it off the highway and stopped to see if I could figure out what was wrong. Could not see anything wrong. We got back in the car and everything seemed to be working okay now so we headed home. We got almost home when once again my car lost all speed and we were almost hit by another car.this has happened on several occassions.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

May 102015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving out of the parking lot at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle shut off. The contact restarted the vehicle, but it failed again. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The dealer tuned up the engine and informed the contact to monitor the vehicle. The failure recurred after approximately one week. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 56,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Jun 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact mentioned that the service engine warning lamp flashed numerous times and also that at times it failed to illuminate. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V269000 (seat belts) and stated that the remedy was not yet available. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Feb 212015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, there was a loud noise and the vehicle lost power as the hood collapsed and folded in two without warning. In addition, the contact stated that the engine, the headlights, and the radiator failed. The air bags deployed. The contact sustained hand, eye and neck injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000. Updated 03/24/15

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Nov 272014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled without warning intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 46,994.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Jul 052012

Malibu

Driving into town, alerted by pedestrian that my car was on fire underneath. Everything failed, while I tried to pull off the roadway. Had to kick out the window to get out. When I barely got out, the entire car was in full blaze.

- Lucedale, MS, USA