2012 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds and turning the steering wheel, the power steering indicator illuminated and it became very difficult to turn. As a result, the vehicle drove straight. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Nov 012016

Malibu

Letter from congresswoman foxx on behalf of constituent re 2012 Malibu steering column recall. The consumer was informed, his VIN was not included in the recall.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Oct 302016

Malibu

Pulling out of a parking space, all of a sudden my steering wheel does a quick jerk, my traction light luminates and then service ESC comes up on the display and then power steering shows on the display and at that point iost power steering assist and at this point I could not turn the wheel at all, I had no control over the car at this point. I put the car in park, turned it off for several minutes and then turned it back on and power steering was back. This is unexceptable...what if I had been on the free way going 70 miles per hour and lost power steering. This very issue was a recall on the recalling certain model year 2004-2006 and 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu(s) and obviously it is still an issue with the 2012 model. I have had no issues with steering prior to ths day it happened 10/30/16 and no warring power steering assist was going to fail. Fix it once and for all GM. Do your customers have to be seriously injured or worse in order for you to get this right!!!! now we have to find the power steering unit and get it fixed because my car is literally a death trap. Also, the interior lights (dome) and headlights start flickering after 10 mins to 60 mins into my drive like there is an electrical issue. Also, the rear defrost stopped working and I can't see out the rear window, I have to drive with the windows down to try and hurry the process along and that is not fun when it is freezing out side!

- Buford, GA, USA

Sep 012016

Malibu

Several systems have been affected. The systems affected are the radio controls on the steering wheel, the power steering, the traction control and the rear defrost. There seems to be a short that goes from system to system. Modern Chevrolet in winston salem, nc said it was a short in wires on the steering column that was causing this. There are three recalls that would deal with this. The recalls are for steering, traction control and finally wiring. Both modern Chevrolet and Chevrolet corporate have said my vehicle is not covered due to the VIN #. I do not see where that matters. If a part is bad then all vehicles that part is used on should be covered no matter what. The steering was the most affected. The power steering would go out and it was very difficult to steer the car. This happened on several different occasions.

- Welcome, NC, USA

Aug 022016

Malibu

While making left hand turn engine stalled lost power for a moment then restarted several times in the last year.

- Appleton, WI, USA

May 052016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel abruptly locked while attempting to turn at a low speed. The failure was experienced several times. While the bluetooth was in use, the radio and steering wheel simultaneously failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the battery cable was defective and caused the electrical system to lose charge. The vehicle was repaired. The battery cables were replaced and routed correctly. The manufacturer stated that the cable failure was due to wear and tear. The failure mileage was 47,607. Updated 09/20/16

- Eastham, MA, USA

Jun 252016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while making a right turn at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the ESC warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Great Falls, MT, USA

Jun 092016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 20-25 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering and the ESC and power steering warning indicators illuminated. The power steering functioned normally after a brief period of time. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 136,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Plumas Lake, CA, USA

Apr 112016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. After the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control) and 15V269000 (seat belt), the steering wheel ceased without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the cause of the failure was undetermined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 112016

Malibu

When driving, at low speed in the city, or on the highway at speed, power steering and power brakes intermittently fail without warning (according to the repairing dealer, vehicle is unsafe and should not be driven); dash gauges go on and off; traction control and electronic stability control turn own and off without warning; dash lights go on and off without warning; bells and buzzers ring; door locks cycle, and theft deterrent warnings illuminate. Dealer has attempted multiple times to repair it by replacing the body control module. It is at the dealer service department now, has been there for a full week and at this point is still unsafe

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 022015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to accelerate from a stop, the steering wheel seized and the power steering assist light illuminated. The contact coasted to the side of the road, waited a few minutes, and resumed driving. In addition, while driving 5 mph in the driveway, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 164,000.

- Winton, NC, USA

Jan 192016

Malibu

I was driving my children to school, when without any warning my power steering went out. I almost got into an accident!!! it was very abrupt. A message saying "power steering" "service ESC" came up. I come to find out that earlier models of the Malibu were recalled for this very reason. I would recommend that you check this problem out very seriously on the 2012 model before someone gets killed!!! I had all I could do to steer the car manually! my children and I were very lucky that we didn't end up in an accident. The next person might not be so lucky. Before Chevrolet gets sued, they might want to look into this problem. My wife drives this car on the expressway. I can't even imagine what would have happened had this occurred while she was driving. I thank god that I was behind the wheel at the time.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Jan 112016

Malibu

I was driving my children to school, when without any warning my power steering went out. I almost got into an accident!!! it was very abrupt. A message saying "power steering" "service ESC" came up. I immediately took it to the dealership, where I still have a warranty and I was told they would have to do a diagnostic check on it (150.00) before they could let me know if it was covered under my warranty. I come to find out that earlier models of the Malibu were recalled for this very reason. I would recommend that you check this problem out very seriously on the 2012 model before someone gets killed!!! I had all I could do to steer the car manually! my children and I were very lucky that we didn't end up in an accident. The next person might not be so lucky. Before Chevrolet gets sued, they might want to look into this problem. My children also drive this car. Unlike me, who knows about manual steering and was able to deal with the problem, young adults have no idea what manual steering is. My daughter drives this car on the expressway. I can't even imagine what would have happened had this occurred while she was driving. I thank god that I was behind the wheel at the time. I did contact GM and they are helping me rectify this problem.

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Jan 022016

Malibu

Driving down the city road at 55 mph, I heard three bells and on the dashboard it read "service ESC...service ESC...traction control off" the vehicle then simultaneously began to reduce engine power and the steering wheel locked and became unlocked within seconds. This caused swerving and a near accident. I see recalls for this issue but the VIN does not show an open recall for this issue.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Dec 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to exit a residential driveway, the power steering failed without warning. The contact mentioned that the wheel locked, which made it extremely difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician performed unknown repairs and refused to provide any details. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 63,000. Updated 2/4/16 updated 02/16/16

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 112012

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle started to make a vibrating motion, and steering wheel was shaking. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake pads needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Feb 042013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. After the vehicle was started, the steering became difficult to maneuver. The contact mentioned that the failure only happened initially after driving off. The failure occurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 012012

Malibu

I just received a letter from GM, informing me of another defect built into my vehicle, only one of which was to recall this vehicle to make a repair, the others, as with this letter has been to warn me of a defect, this letter contains the VIN number of my vehicle, explains what the defect is, however, even though it clearly states that GM is well aware of this defect, because in bold underlined type it states "do not take this vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above". this is very disturbing to me because long before the ignition switch on the Chevrolet cobalt model caused the deaths that forced NHTSA to force GM to recall that vehicle to make the necessary repair, I had the ignition switch problem a cobalt I owned and when told it would cost me over $400 to have that ignition switch replaced, I created such a commotion in that dealership, that they replaced that ignition switch w/O cost to me, which proves that they were well of off that deadly defect before it caused those deaths, so the fact that this letter clearly states the VIN number of this vehicle, as did they of the deadly ignition switch, ' so my plea to you is to force GM to recall this vehicle to make the necessary repairs mentioned in all four of the letters they have sent to me. Because the only way I would know whether or not my vehicle has this deadly defect, is to experience the death that could result from that defect..

- Yorktown, IN, USA

Oct 152012

Malibu

Purchased car from ed bozarth on October 12. Within 1 week the brakes were grinding and you had to step on it hard for it to brake. Have changed brake pads and rotors twice within 3 years. Have complained to ed bozarth since I purchased it. I have taken the car to other GM dealerships and complained about the brakes. September 2015 took it to fletcher jones Chevrolet and had filed a complain with GM for approval to have them pay for the diagnostics. And again, the dealership and GM claim nothing is wrong with the brakes, but they grind horribly and you have to hit hard on the brakes to be able to brake. Another issue is the rubber steering wheel. It is coming apart and it cuts you as you are making right turn. Being diabetic it is a health issue.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 192015

Malibu 4-cyl

Received letters from GM that this car and two other family owned Malibu's (2009 & 2012 model years) may experience loss of their electric power steering (eps) due to a malfunction in the steering column torque sensor or the eps motor/controller. These vehicles were not part of the earlier recall NHTSA campaign # 14V252000 ( electrical system problem) which could affect steering and several other systems. My complaint is how can this company who covered up the ignition problem which killed over 100 people be allowed not to issue a recall for this problem. I have read horror stories on the NHTSA and arfc.org. Web sites of people who also were not part of the earlier recall crashing when their power steering failed. Do I have to wait until my wife or my two daughters get killed, as well as my grandson before my cars are fixed. This leads me to question why has the NHTSA not gone after GM for this when it is just as dangerous for this possible malfunction to occur as it did with the electrical system problem" also the NHTSA needs to find out if there are replacement parts that do not have this problem or else changing them will serve no purpose other than giving the dealerships money to do useless diagnostic tests which run over $100 each which GM told me I have to pay for. This letter was sent to owners for model years 2007 to 2012 for which the 3 year warranty has expired, promising free repair for 10 years from the date of purchase "if" you have trouble with your eps. The letter stated not to bring the car to the dealer unless you are experiencing a problem? so if you have trouble and get killed in a crash they will fix your car. I wonder if any letters were sent to owners of newer vehicles if the same defects are still in their cars" I have contacted my local paper and the ftc on this matter and I urge everyone who gets this outrageous letter to do the same.

- Staen Island, NY, USA