2013 Chevrolet Malibu brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Mar 222016

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 75 mph, there was a loud abnormal noise from the rear of the vehicle. The contact observed that the rear bumper detached from the vehicle and was lying in the road. While driving various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed, but failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 83,000.

- Burnsville, WV, USA

Jun 092016

Cars brakes are basically stuck. Brake assist coming on and causing brake lights on exterior of car to stay on while driving and parked, also while car is off with key out of vehicle. When letting off the brake the car comes to a stop very quickly as if you were applying the brakes. It is hard to accelerate going forward and in reverse. Car shakes while driving down the highway. There is a hot smell coming from car after this happens

- Albion, IL, USA

Jan 222016

ABS warning light came on along with message to service stabilitrak.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 072015

The problem I am having with my 2013 Chevrolet Malibu deal with its brake assist. The brake assist engages on its own without operator enabling it. This problem causes the vehicle to loose accelerating power, whereas, the operator needs to apply more force to the accelerator to move the car forward or backwards. If, the operator removes foot from accelerator the car will come to a complete stop rapidly, reminiscence if one is operating a manual transmission vehicle and down-shifts. Other problem with vehicle when the car is shut-down and keys out of ignition the brake lights remain on (not on every occasion but periodically). All, aforementioned, the dealer has been notified and taken in for repairs two separate occasions but the problem persists. In, addition, I have contacted GM customer care center in the past and most recently June 5, 2015 about the problem (code #71-1466326393). But, today, June 7, 2015 is by far the worst incident to date. While operating my vehicle on a local interstate the brake assist engaged itself again causing server vibrations from all four wheels and a loud disturbing noise from the wheels. Also, the steering wheel vibrated back and forth; with these problems I felt the need to exit the interstate. I feel the vehicle is not safe to operate…

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

May 082015

Brake pedal does not raise after apply brakes remain applied or brake lights on unwanted. The condition has happened in high temperature and humidity conditions so far and may not be repeatable. This is not a normal wear and tear condition, this is a safety hazard. I have children that ride in my car. The brakes seize up, bad smell coming from the tires. Driver must pull up on the brake. This is a manufacture defect and should be replaced at the cost of the manufacturer. Dealerships are charging $1300 to replace, the part itself is $70.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 102015

Cleaning out the trunk discovered no spare tire. Only sealant air compressor. How stupid. Was not informed by the dealer, who obviously knew they would lose a deal if customer informed. This is a big time scam and cover up. I can see real trouble if I have a blow out! stupid!!!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Malibu 4-cyl

I purchased my 2013 Malibu ls in September, 2013 and have been having nothing but problems since. During the first few weeks of me having the car my rear defrost was not working properly and my car would smell like an rotten egg which it still does. I took the car back to the dealership and of course they found nothing wrong. A few months letter my brakes stated grinding whenever the car was in reverse (still does). The dealership found nothing wrong, but stated they had smoothed my brakes. My car has cut off a total of seven times and the dealership found nothing wrong. So I called and spoke with the head person in charge of the service department and was told it could be my computer, but nothing has been done to check the computer. My car loses power while driving and has even sped up on its own. My brakes, brake hard as if they"re getting stuck at times. When I turn on the car hot air blows at full force and will not cut off until the car is turned off. The glove box light shines in the floor and the seatbelt would not latch. The best part of it all, while the dealership had M car one of the workers hit something, so they had to remove my front bumper to paint it and did not place it on correctly. My car is experiencing all of the issues that are out on recall, but I"M always told the recall is not for my car. GM needs to take full responsibility and correct the issues or buy back my car. I refuse to continue to pay for something that is not worth it.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 202014

Malibu 4-cyl

3/20 I was going 35 when it lost power and brake.onstar towed to dealer 4 days later was told it was traction control and fixed. 4/29 going 50 and lost power, and braked to 28 mph. Onstar again towed to dealer has sat there for 24 days and counting with no resolution from GM. This is a 2013 Chevy Malibu.I am currently looking to have it declared a lemon.

- Graytown, OH, USA

Mar 112014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving my son to work and I lost all power to my vehicle. I had no brakes, power steering and my engine light came on and battery light came on as well. I managed not get in a accident and get into a parking lot. Thank god. My backlights have had issues as well they have stayed on and have cuased me to get pulled over by the police.

- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA

Jan 092014

Malibu 4-cyl

When I was driving I noticed that every so often my brakes would feel really stiff when braking. Later that day, parked vehicle in the driveway and brake lights would not go off, had to go into vehicle and lift brake pedal up to get lights to go off. Noticed later that day that brake pedal was getting stuck down after I released my foot off the brake. Does not do it everytime I break but did start to do it the day we had 90% humidity. Still have to sometimes lift the pedal up to get the lights to go off.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Jun 092012

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the transmission would shift abruptly. The contact stated that after depressing the brakes there was slight delay before it engaged. The vehicle was taken to dealer however the vehicle was not inspected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 1,460 and the current mileage was 2,041.

- South Gate, CA, USA