2013 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Oct 232013

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle hesitated and powered down as the engine over speed and service power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle restarted but the failure recurred approximately thirty times. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred only at 70 mph or higher. The contact also stated that when the failure occurred, the doors failed to unlock. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 16,000.

- Elmira, MI, USA

Mar 022015

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would momentarily shut off causing the power steering assist to fail and making it very difficult to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,000.

- Houston, MS, USA

Jul 232015

While driving at night went to roll up power windows which in turn caused my headlights to flicker and all dashboard instruments including radio to temporarily stop working. Subsequently gets worse which each occurrence. Last occurrence automatic headlights came on and subsequently caused loss of power steering and airbag light illuminated. Gratefully was able to retain control of car. Since first occurrence it has happened at least six times and seems to happen at night or while headlights are on.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Dec 102014

When driving on the highway, the car never drives straight, always veering slightly left or right. The steering wheel sticks when you try to correct. It takes a significant effort to move the steering wheel. When the wheel finally moves, it has no resistance and over corrects. I drive 70 miles a day on the highway, and it does it every single day consistently at speeds over 45. The car goes all over the road and is dangerous. I look like a drunk driver and people try to get away from my car when I'm next to them. Conclusion: It's dangerous; someone is going to get killed eventually; Chevy is aware of the defect; NHTSA is also aware of the danger, but no recall? Chevrolet and NHTSA are going to be responsible for that death. Get a recall on it.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Mar 022015

2013 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to power steering concern.

- Depoe Bay, OR, USA

Nov 012014

2013 Chevrolet Malibu. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle steering system issues. The consumer was informed by three different dealers, the steering must fail, before it can be fixed.

- Madison, MS, USA

Nov 012014

Letter from congressman jolly on behalf of constituent re an issue with 2013 Chevrolet Malibu that General Motors will not recall (attn: Brenda frantz) the consumer received a letter from GM regarding potential problems with the steering. The dealer informed the consumer, it was not recall, rather an extended warranty was being issued on the part, if it the part should fail within the next ten years.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Feb 102015

Cleaning out the trunk discovered no spare tire. Only sealant air compressor. How stupid. Was not informed by the dealer, who obviously knew they would lose a deal if customer informed. This is a big time scam and cover up. I can see real trouble if I have a blow out! stupid!!!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 072014

Hard steering at 55-65 mph speed when going around curve.

- Kingsbury, TX, USA

Jul 262013

Malibu 4-cyl

The car engine stalls, locks go up and down, panel lights go out, power steering is disabled, RPM gauge revs up to 7000+, then engine comes back on. This has happened multiple times nearly causing crashes and causing extreme anxiety. The service department says no error is stored on the car computer and they cannot duplicate the incident. After 2 days in the shop, I got my car back, drove 378 miles and the incident happened again. It has occurred with every member of my family. I want to be taken seriously or I will contact an attorny before someone gets injured not afterwards.

- Katy, TX, USA

Apr 232014

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering became stiff with slippage when bearing left or right. Took it to dealer in savannah where purchased. Was told this was an issue for quite a few people. Power steering motor was replaced. Also had an issue with heater vents blowing hot air even when turned off. Happened on start up several times. Dealer said computer had to be reprogrammed. Had a flat and side of tire had a hole. The kit in the trunk (instead of an actual tire) was no help at all. Had to call aaa for a tow. Had to buy an after market rim and tire so I would have a spare. The dealers sell them at around $500. I am so disappointed with this car.....Chevy has lost a loyal customer due to their greed and the dealer in savannah will never get any business from us for selling us a car that they knew had issues.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 212013

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that when driving various speeds, the steering wheel failed as the power steering warning light illuminated. On another ocassion, the contact attempted to drive out park and the steering wheel failed. The failure would occur on numerous ocassions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several ocassions for the failure where it was diagnosed that the power steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired twice but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,692 and the current mileage 11,246. Dr..updated 08/11/14 updated 08/19/2014

- Willow Springs, IL, USA

Mar 112014

Malibu 4-cyl

I was driving my son to work and I lost all power to my vehicle. I had no brakes, power steering and my engine light came on and battery light came on as well. I managed not get in a accident and get into a parking lot. Thank god. My backlights have had issues as well they have stayed on and have cuased me to get pulled over by the police.

- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA

Oct 232013

Malibu 4-cyl

On the first incident I was driving home from work. It had been raining earlier so I was going slower than usual. While driving the steering would veer to L or R and act as if it were stiffening. I took it into the dealer who said they could find nothing wrong that it was probably "just the rain". the following week it did the same thing, no rain! this has progressively gotten worse and I have taken in for a repeat trip to be told the same thing, tires are fine, etc.......yet while traveling down highway/interstate the steering tends to lock/stick and require force which is dangerous!

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Mar 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

I recently just bought a 2013 Chevy Malibu and I was excited, now I am just having regrets. I have noticed that my steering wheel locks up at or around 45 mph and over. My car starts to drift towards the yellow or white line, and I will try to make the minor adjustments (just like I would in any other vehicle) and I find myself tugging pretty forcefully to break it free, which then results in my car jerking over quickly in the other direction and then I have to try to correct my direction again. It also happens while I'm on the highway going around a corner at 55 mph. I can't take it on the freeways either knowing that I can barely handle my car at 55 mph, let alone how I would manage at 65-70 mph with a lot more traffic and barriers without possibly hitting something. I even had passengers make comments about my driving, saying they feel like they are a ping pong ball and that I need to learn how to drive. I assure you I have been driving for a long time and have drove many other vehicles, including my mother's Chevy Avalanche, and I have never had this problem. I can't enjoy driving the only newest vehicle I have ever had and I certainly can't have anyone in the vehicle with me anymore, especially my 1 year old niece, because it is not safe and now I'm taking it to my dealer later this week. While on the phone with my dealer, they were trying to say that there probably isn't a problem because I never owned a Chevy previously and that I was just not use to the way the newer vehicles handle. I even mentioned that my brother has a 2013 Chevy Malibu and is having the same problems so it's not just a random occurrence. I am not a vehicle expert, but I know this is a serious problem and now I dread driving my vehicle for fear of causing an accident and/or injuring others. General Motors definitely needs to look into this issue before serious injuries or fatalities occur.

- Wabeno, WI, USA

Aug 142013

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering was great up to about 7000 miles, then gradually seem to lose its centering capability. Steady driving, especially highway cruising, began to require constant corrections and each correction became an overcorrection because the steering wheel seemed to be stuck in position. The jerk from being stuck causes another overcorrection the other direction. Driving the car has become very annoying, and I suspect will even become a hazard very shortly. I now have 12K miles. My second visit to the dealer (about 10K miles) resulted in not being able to find the problem. Will try again next week.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Feb 032014

The steering continually locks up while driving on the interstate. It takes a sharp pull to get it unlocked. This seems to happen when I go over 40mph.

- Albany, IN, USA

Mar 272014

Malibu 4-cyl

Steering has a dead spot at neutral as though the steering locks up and a force must be applied to break it loose. Discrepancy occurs at highway speeds above 50 mph. Problem is intermittent but is increasing in frequency of occurrence. Dealer says nothing is wrong. Suspect a problem in electric power steering computer programming.

- Poplar Grove, IL, USA

Jan 032014

Malibu 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 60 mph the steering gets stuck and I have to pull it back to the right. This has happened several times. I took it back to the dealer and there is no recall on the power assist at this time. I feel that with the steering getting stuck I may have a hard time getting it back so as to cause an accident. Please look into this steering mechanism.

- North Dighton, MA, USA

Dec 262013

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the steering wheel exhibited a slight delay and a jerking motion. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where they informed the contact that the failure was contributed to a computer glitch. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA