2013 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 242016

The check engine light comes on and stays on - when checked at the dealer they told me no code found for two years, then as time went on it started adding service power steering and ac/DC shut down. After numerous visits to the dealer and two major repairs, the check engine light still comes on, and the power steering locks up. On August 24, 2016, I was driving 50+ mph on a curvy road when the check engine light came on, followed immediately by the service power steering, followed by something stabilizer, followed by ac/DC shut down, to engine overheated idle engine. The power steering locked up and I was unable to steer the car and ran off the road. The car was towed to the dealer who had just worked on the car for the second time in a month, and they found no codes - no surprise! I complained to Chevy for the third time at corporate level and they had denied my claim as being safety related. I find it hard to believe that a car you suddenly can't steer isn't considered a safety issues. I also find it hard to believe that Chevy can't recognize that there is a problem with the 2013 Malibu. How many people have to die before they address this issue? also, why are they waiting on codes when the problem is most likely an electrical/computer problem. If the computer isn't working its no surprise that the warnings are not throwing a code! common sense! also, a car doesn't throw warning lights and check engine lights without something setting it off! hence you have a problem!

- Martinez, GA, USA

Sep 082016

While driving down the highway first the windshield wipers quit during a down pour, the anti traction was malfunctioning on the screen then said anti theft system needed service then the steering went out and locked the car down. All of this happened while the car remained running. Was very scary. Have done some research and it appears GM is aware of a problem. The car is currently at the dealership. No known reason why yet although the dealership stated it did this to them when they were trying to pull it in the garage. GM needs to figure this out and issue a recall before there is serious injury including possible death the car was in motion on a highway when this occurred

- Mattoon, IL, USA

May 312016

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, the electrical system failed. As a result, the power steering seized. The failure recurred numerous times. In addition, the ignition switch failed to release the key and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed and the sensor circuit was replaced in the camshaft. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Sep 022016

I got my car 6 months ago, and now my car steering wheel locked, and lost battery voltage, I'm getting message to service wheel steering system ann battery charge system

- Albany, NY, USA

Aug 112016

While driving, all of the sudden the raio/ screen goes out, steering locks up! has happened right after started, day & night, may be fine for an hour to 4 or 5 hours, never know! has happened when turning, very dangerous! I've almost had 4-5 accidents due to this problem! Chevy says they haven't had any knowledge! dought this, complaints all over the internet. This started around 45,000 ruth just the radio /screen going off for a few seconds, by 60,000 started effecting the steering! I now have 80,000 miles on car. This needs quick attention from ntsb, wonder if any deaths from this? help!

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 312016

Our 2103 Chevy Malibu "loses electrical power and power steering" whuile being driven. This is now happening even more frequently. The dash and steering, etc goes blank and resets after a few seconds. This is happening more often and is dangerous. I see on the internet that dozens or hundreds of other 2013 Malibu owners are having the same problem. Some have had accidents as a result. My mechanic is not able to find an error code, nor to fix, and it seems like neither GM nor the other mechanics are able to fix either. This happens in a variety of movement settings, slow speed, high speed, turning and not, etc. This last happened 5+ times the evening of July 31.

- Raymond, NE, USA

Jul 052016

My vehicle has 49000 miles on it while driving I loose power steering...the steering wheel locks up.. radio turns off...and the dash lights go off... after a second I get power back and control.. I have almost had head on collisions a 2 occasions.. I also had my steering completely lock while parked.. and as with before my radio went off and would not turn back on until I turned the car off and back on.... this is a hazard and someone will be injured or killed if this problem is not addressed... I have had it in the dealer for this and they informed me I had 13 plus warnings pop up on diegnostics, however, they found no problem and reset the computer... 3 days later the problem came back...

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 042016

I have a Malibu eco boost. On June 23, 2015 I was driving on 96 and the charging system failure light came on the car began to shut down. The power steering went out. I was able to pull over on the shoulder but the keys could not be removed from the ignition. I had it towed to graff Chevrolet andthey said the only thing they could find wrong was a speedsensor. The guy tom said I could come get my vehicle at 8pm since thepart was enroute. I drove over 80 miles to get there AT8 and my car wasn't ready but the guy said I cold take it with me. I did not.they fixed that then said it was a right wheel hub.I know these two things havenothing to do with the charging system. Tookmy car home and the same thinghappened on the holiday July 4th.why didn't thecomputer or the mechanic detect a problem with the charging system.

- Williamston, MI, USA

Jun 252016

These problems occurred on paved or concrete city streets. At least once last month and 3 times this month I experienced transient episodes of what I categorize as power steering failure while driving. Three of these times were at reduced speeds less than 20 mph during a turn and once traveling 65 mph down a straight section of the highway. On two of the turning events I managed to avoid head on collisions with other vehicles at the intersection/parking entrance. These episodes are short durations and may be characterized by sudden stiffness in the wheel, jerking to one side or what seems like a power steering failure. On the last event today a power loss to my console was noted. Needless to say, this is a very dangerous problem and given my near misses in the short time I have owned this car, I have to wonder how many other owners of this problem were out there that are no longer able to complain about it. On a safety note, I highly recommend to anyone with this problem to maintain a firm grip with both hands on the wheel when making a turn on a separate note I mentioned that I also had trouble with the tires. This happened yesterday as I was going down the highway in a moderate downpour. The car seemed to lose traction on every puddle I hit. It made for a very scary ride and forced me too carefully reduce speed to a minimum of 45-50mph. This is still very subjective and I still need to have it checked out, but it did not feel like hydroplaning as I know it.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Jun 072016

When driving, the car will shut off for about 5 seconds and then come back on fine but the wheel and the brakes lock up. It will randomly do this. It happens on normal side streets as well as on the interstate. I have also had it happen while sitting still in park. The car was turned on but the radio would blink and the air stop and then after about 6 seconds it will start again like normal. However about 4 times it has had major episodes where all of the lights will blink (like I was restarting the car), the wheel locks up, the brakes lock up, the car acts as if it is in neutral and then about 6 seconds it will jerk like it's going into gear and once I pull over and restart it, it may happen again or it may be fine for a while. It has shown on the screen on these 4 times words of "check power steering or stabilitrak warning" it's very scary. I've almost wrecked 3 different times because the wheel locks up and I was in a turn when it did it. The last time it happened I was traveling with my young children and we were almost rear ended by an 18 wheeler on the interstate at rush hour traffic. I feel like I'm driving a death trap. I took it to the shop that the dealer advised me to take it to. They say it is the ECM. The dealership is not willing to pay for it since it's not covered under the manufacturers warranty. I've had this car since October and its been in the shop 5 times for this and overheating. I'm in the process of contacting GM about this issue because I'm not the only one having this trouble. It's extremely scary and it needs to be corrected before someone is seriously hurt. It's a hazard not only to me as the driver and the children that I carry in my car daily, but the other drivers on the road because when it happens its without warning and the car completely locks up.

- Leeds, AL, USA

Apr 232016

Problem 1: driving car at 40mph (on a city street) it begins to overheat, the steering wheel seizes then stalls out repeatedly. Take vehicle to Chevrolet dealership, technician says need to replace parking brake control module (water intrusion) GM pays 50/50 payment assistance, I paid $417.23. Within a week's time several issues arise as indicated below. Problem 2: while car is in motion driving the city streets the dash lights and touch screen radio (entire electrical system shuts off) for about 5 seconds then comes back on. The brief box pops up for a few seconds, indicating check power steering, stabilitrak warning light on and parking brake says it's on. All this happened, eight times in ten minutes. Then I proceed to make a right hand turn and my steering wheel locks up and I nearly hit a vehicle that was stopped at a stop light. It happens randomly but I did notice when I had the A/C on it happened repeatedly. Again vehicle is at Chevrolet dealership and unable to recreate the problem, dealing with GM corporate at this time.

- Manteca, CA, USA

May 062016

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the steering column seized without warning. The failure occurred on several occasions. The contact restarted the vehicle but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- High Point, NC, USA

Apr 282016

Pwer steering stopped for 3 or 4 seconds on a city street as I was making a left turn on to a through street, lucky no cars very close, pulled into a park lot and happened again, lucky no cars close by. This should be recalled, before to late.

- Rockawaybeach, OR, USA

Apr 192016

I was driving about 70mph on the interstate with the radio and cruise control set and I hit the blinkered to change lanes and the radio and cruise control shut off and I lost power steering for a moment. This happened multiple times. I took it to the dealership and supposedly it was fixed. Two days later it did the same thing. Sometimes if you roll the window up or down it shuts the radio off. Sometimes when you are driving and click the brights on the radio ahuts off and thw entire dash goes black and I lose all power including the steering and the engine revs. Sometimes I will be driving at low speeds in town and if I slightly accelerate the radio shuts off. Once I was at a stop light and I had my turn signal on to make a left turn and when the light turned green I began to accelerate and the car lost all power and died in the middle of the intersection. Too many incidents to go into detail here. Has been at the dealership twice and they say there ia nothing wrong with it. I even called GM directly to report the issue and all they did was waive my diagnostic fee and say nothing is wrong and next time it does it to bring it back. I was on my way home from the dealership and it happened again so I guess I'll take it back again in the morning. Seems like GM isn't going to do anything about this until someone is seriously injured or killed. I have had this car less than 2 months. I keep reading complaint after complaint about the same issues I am having yet no recall and GM acts like this is the first time they are hearing about this kind of problem.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Feb 042016

My wife who was 7 months pregnant was driving the vehicle and the steering locked while driving on the highway at 55mph.thank god no one was hurt, also locked at low speed while turning.whent to 2 different Chevy dealers who said they couldnt find a problem. Contacted Chevy usa who advised me there was this type of problem and issued a GM case# 8-1929724465. Dealer grand prize Chevrolet 11701 sw 152 street miami Florida is now trying to charge me for the software repair that GM said would resolve this hazardous defect in their vehicle. Still trying to resolve......

- Pembrook Pines, FL, USA

Mar 212016

Power steering goes out and steering wheel jerks when this happens. First radio light all go off, then steering jerks and lose power steering and dash lights go off, then flash. This all lasts 5-10 seconds, then everything is normal. Had car to dealer to fix same problem 4 days prior to it happening again. This occurs usually while highway driving and when steering jerks and you lose power steering it is surprising and have almost hit several vehicles while going 55-65mph. Sometimes occurs while driving in town and turning, especially turning right. I have also contacted Chevy and they tell me they are not aware of any of these problems with these cars. Also said they would contact my car dealer and call me back in 2 days. I have heard nothing back from them.

- Oskaloosa, IA, USA

Nov 012015

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled. After several attempts to turn the vehicle on, once the vehicle was able to start, all the electrical functions malfunctioned. The service stabilitrak warning light illuminated and the vehicle began to shake when being driven. The contact mentioned that the failure would occur when making a sharp turn. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who was unable to determine the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Oct 292015

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at 60 mph, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the vehicle began to overheat and then stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. All the warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer multiple times, but the contact was unsure of the parts that were replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Katty, TX, USA

Oct 202015

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 35 mph, the electronic power steering failed, which made it difficult to turn the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 38,404.

- Orange, CA, USA

Aug 042015

Actuator did not meet specs it was necessary to replace actuator. This service was done by jim keras Chevrolet in memphis Tennessee. The covering on the driver seat that protects the seat controls has fallen off, the car has no pick up when depressing the excellerator and makes noise as if the transmission is not changing. I went to vincheck pro and there were 7 recalls specifically electrical system software. I bought this car off the showroom floor of Acura of memphis at ridgeway and 385. No one told me of any factory recalls. The money I am spending for this car is already too much and now having so many problems out of a car thats only 2 years old is ridiculous. Thanks for listening.

- Memphis, TN, USA