5.7

2015 Chevrolet Malibu electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Malibu:

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jun 182016

Malibu

I purchased my vehicle on March 2015 off the showroom floor of a Chevrolet dealership. On June 18, 2016 my car caught a fire while it was parked and I was not in the vehicle. I had been sitting in the car with the air blowing from the defroster for about 30 minutes. I drove to the store and came back home. I got out of the car and stood on the porch talking to my family. Within in 10 minutes of me exiting my car, it was on fire. I ran to the car and could see that the fire was coming from right about where the windshield ends and where the hood of the car begins, right where the windshield wipers are. I called the fire department who put the fire out. They used the jaws of life to ply the hood open and cut the main wire to the car. I then contacted the GM manufacturing company Chevrolet and started a claim with them to do an investigation on my vehicle as to what happened and why to this brand new car. Especially considering the fact their was no one in the car at the time it caught fire, thank god and as to no one could of started the fire because I was standing outside the entire time. The alleged investigation took about a month and a half to complete. I received a call a week prior to GM Chevrolet manufacturing making a decision from one of their representatives asking me have I ever gotten the windshield wiper motor replaced before. I stated to her no I haven't and reminded her that the car was purchased new off their showroom floor and that I hadn't had anything replaced or altered on that car. On July 29th I was called by a GM Chevrolet representative again telling me my claim was being denied because of a windshield wiper issue. I stated to her that I wouldn't have anything to do with that. She then changes the reason and states that GM Chevrolet really cant determine what happened and they were denying my claim. Their had been several recalls on GM cars

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Aug 122016

Malibu

My ignition keys (both) sometimes stick in the 'start' position when starting. Some days they stick several times and some days they don't. it depends on heat and humidity. Gentle pressure easily returns the key to the 'run' position. We always notice this when it happens and we turn the key to the 'run' position. But if it is unnoticed it could release when hitting a bump in the road and go past 'run' and into the 'accessory' position, shutting off the engine. This has been happening since the car was new in April, 2015. The dealer cleaned the key and lubed the ignition switch but the problem continues. The dealer will not replace the ignition switch because the key did not stick while they had the car. This problem occurs often (about 10% of the time) when the weather is hot and/or humid. It occurs rarely when the weather id cool/dry.

- Milford, CT, USA

Nov 152015

Malibu

The contact owns a 2015 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 45 mph and making a stop, the radio shut off completely. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jun 272015

Malibu

Water entered the car from behind the dashboard and flooded the carpet and all that is under it. I personally sucked gallons and gallons of water out of it for 4 days before I gave up and took it in. The service dept pulled the problem up on the computer immediately. That tells me that someone at GM knew about it and this wasn't the first time. B/C it came in behind the dash, the electronics and electrical will be affected B/C all that moisture will never get out. Rusting has already started. The car has been at the dealer for a week. I am going to demand a replacement vehicle because mold/mildew will be growing, and moisture will affect the safety of the car. I will never get a good price on a trade-in B/C of the water. The car is ruined.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Apr 102014

Malibu

Driving a long than steering goes out wheel will not turn dealer said nee new electric motor under dash 1.000 to fix

- Franklin Park , IL, USA

Nov 122014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2015 Chevrolet Malibu. While at a complete stop, all of the electrical lights, including the headlights, powered off without warning. The contact powered the vehicle off and back on several times and all of the lights re-illuminated. The contact also stated that there was a strong smell of fuel in the vehicle. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81.

- Westover, WV, USA

Dec 242014

Malibu

While driving thru houston, Texas on interstate 10 with heavy traffic the engine shut off, the analog instruments shut off, the center my link screen shut off and the digital readout alternated between mph and miles traveled readout. My wife was driving and attempted to restart the engine, no result. She shifted to neutral and it would not restart. We were able to coast thru several lanes of traffic and safely stop on the side of the road. The car was shifted to park and started. We traveled approximately 200 miles to our destination and two days later exchanged the car for another rental.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA