2015 Chevrolet Malibu miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Malibu:

2015 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jun 182016

Malibu

I purchased my vehicle on March 2015 off the showroom floor of a Chevrolet dealership. On June 18, 2016 my car caught a fire while it was parked and I was not in the vehicle. I had been sitting in the car with the air blowing from the defroster for about 30 minutes. I drove to the store and came back home. I got out of the car and stood on the porch talking to my family. Within in 10 minutes of me exiting my car, it was on fire. I ran to the car and could see that the fire was coming from right about where the windshield ends and where the hood of the car begins, right where the windshield wipers are. I called the fire department who put the fire out. They used the jaws of life to ply the hood open and cut the main wire to the car. I then contacted the GM manufacturing company Chevrolet and started a claim with them to do an investigation on my vehicle as to what happened and why to this brand new car. Especially considering the fact their was no one in the car at the time it caught fire, thank god and as to no one could of started the fire because I was standing outside the entire time. The alleged investigation took about a month and a half to complete. I received a call a week prior to GM Chevrolet manufacturing making a decision from one of their representatives asking me have I ever gotten the windshield wiper motor replaced before. I stated to her no I haven't and reminded her that the car was purchased new off their showroom floor and that I hadn't had anything replaced or altered on that car. On July 29th I was called by a GM Chevrolet representative again telling me my claim was being denied because of a windshield wiper issue. I stated to her that I wouldn't have anything to do with that. She then changes the reason and states that GM Chevrolet really cant determine what happened and they were denying my claim. Their had been several recalls on GM cars

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Feb 092016

Malibu

I purchased this car on 02/09/16, 1 1/2 hours after driving it off the lot, I was driving down a main road at appropriately 57 mph and my moon roof glass exploded. There were no cars close to the front of me. The glass appears to be bowing out of the vehicle, not into the vehicle, as you would expect if a rock had hit it. See the attached picture. There was no sound of anything hitting the roof, it simply sounded like a bomb exploding in my vehicle and glass went everywhere. My daughter was in the front seat and the glass hit her face. I called the local Chevy dealer and they said there was nothing they could do that it was likely a rock. Now I have to file a claim with my insurance to fix the glass, my roof top and trunk lid as the glass scratched and etched the paint. Sounds like this has happened to quite a few people after searching similar instances with this vehicle. Might be something Chevy should look into. Thankfully my daughter and myself sustained no injuries, especially with the glass hitting her face. It left a small red mark but did not cut her.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Jan 122016

Malibu

2015 Chevy Malibu 1lt operating vehicle at normal speed limit in city traffic and used interior heat for climate control modes buttons. A sudden "clicking' sound came from fan speed control when switching to the climate control modes. Sounded mostly from the driver side, and last for 2 to 3 seconds. No warning lights came on but may have been stuck in some re-set process. Noise seemed to be from defrost and heat control modes. Dealer replaced interior fan actuator and system now functions as intended. I also described this to the dealer as sounding like a fluttering sound from the fan speed control. Did not occur on the passenger side, just driver side. Has only 2300 miles thus far.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Aug 012015

Malibu

We was getting on the hwy. On ramp entered hwy. Heard a loud explosion and the sunroof has exploded leaving a 4 inch hole in sunroof and 12 inches wide the glass hit trunk and scratch on trunk of car. Brand new car 1416 miles on it. Also I was 200 miles from home. Went to poplar bluff mo Chevy dealer and they said its common with the cars now the body flex and the glass is so tight they explode. I was advised to call my dealer so I did they said first thing do you have full coverage? I was mad as hell. This is the glass or default in car. I looked online and this is a common problem...

- Overland, MO, USA

May 282015

Malibu

On May 28, my husband and I noticed these fumes in the car, but we didn't know where they were coming from. When we opened the car trunk, we found that the tire sealant in the compressor kit was leaking on it's own. He brought the car to the dealership's auto shop and the compressor kit was replaced. On July 19, the check engine light came on. I brought the car to the dealership's repair shop, again. I was told that the computer module that controls the engine wasn't working right and it had to be reprogrammed by updating it. They were very vague in explaining the problem. My husband called the repair shop on July 28 and asked them to explain what was wrong with the car. They still didn't explain the problem very well and they said that they already told his wife. The statement that the the repair shop gave us says "customer states that check engine light is on, verified concern scan code P2096, as per tsb PI409 perform ECM re program clear codes / rechecked system all at specs." The mileage at that time was 2470.

- Staten Island, NY, USA