8.6

2016 Chevrolet Malibu drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Malibu:

2016 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Oct 312016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 45 mph, the speed reduced inadvertently and a message that the speed reduced to 25 mph appeared. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that onstar sent an email advising that a critical engine and transmission repaired were needed. The dealer was unable to duplicate the issue. The issued recurred after leaving the dealer and the vehicle reduce speed and check engine indicators illuminated. The contact was unable to drive above 20 mph. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that they would need to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 1,695.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 182016

Malibu

While starting off or trying to accelerate, the car has no power to pick up speed. I took the vehicle into the dealership for evaluation and they could not diagnose the issue. This issue happens from time to time on freeway or city driving. I have had to move to the shoulder to let cars pass by because my car would not pick up speed. This issue is still present today

- Coolidge, AZ, USA

May 312016

Malibu

I just bought a 2016 camaro which had bad motor mounts. Which the dealer denied. I decided that I could not drive a brand new car with bad motor mounts so I traded the car in for the 2016 Malibu. After driving the Malibu for a couple weeks now, I noticed similar characteristics of motor mount problems I've had in the past. Currently, I believe that Chevrolet's or gms motor mount designs or quality, are in line with industry standards. I've tried to contact Chevrolet and they're not providing me with an avenue to start an investigation. I can currently demonstrate what I believe to be, excessive power train movement on my current 2016 Malibu which I believe exists on other Malibu and other GM made models, like camaro ss. I have: Turned off engine, opened the hood then pushed and pulled the car back and forth. The power train movement was quit noticeable. I might put a dial indicator on it to see exactly how far. I'll be taking my car in to the dealer to get their written word on my current complaint for which I believe will result in 'there's nothing wrong with your car' or its 'working as designed'. again, I believe the power train movement to be outside of industry standards. Only certain people in the auto industry would be able to deem otherwise. I just so happen to know what a power train mount issue feels like. Power train movement during shifts is very extreme on this car in my opinion. The average person would think that it's a problem with the transmission itself. However, I know what the problem is. It's the power train mounts causing it to feel like a firm/jolting shift. It's not a problem with the transmission itself. Due to the fact I've had 2C 2016 Chevrolet cars with what I believe had bad power train mounts, I believe Chevrolet has a systemic issue. I'm happy to show my car's issue to the NHTSA

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Apr 252016

Malibu

During a modest deceleration or while the car is coasting towards a stop with brake depressed, the transmission will at times seem to downshift in an unsmooth way. Seemingly skipping gears down. The vehicle at times can coast at around 1500 rpms then all of the sudden the rpms jump to almost or around 3000 rpms causing a bucking sensation for the driver. Brake use is affected when this occurs. When the vehicle bucks, the brake pressure can change or is enhanced by the downshift. This can happen pretty regularly during regular driving use and is noticed most during slower driving speeds (10 - 45 mph) and light brake use. High speed braking and heavy brake use do not have this affect as much. Dealer reviewed and could not see any issues. Suggested report to GM - perhaps a software update can smooth out shifting. Noticed first time a day after purchase.

- Aston, PA, USA