2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic:

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Classic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 012016

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning and was unable to be restarted. The security pass lock and anti-lock warning indicators randomly flashed intermittently. The vehicle began to stall at random. The vehicle was diagnosed by a mechanic who stated that the fuel pump regulator failed. The vehicle was repaired, but continued to stall. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Nov 182014

Malibu Classic

Rec'd recall on ignition switch. Took vehicle to dealer and service rep took 1of my vehicle keys, brought key back and said repair completes. Never did he touch my car. Immediately after this, vehicle wouldn't start. Whatever was done to my key threw off my alarm system and locked up vehicle.dealer refused to take responsibility. Contacted GM and was contacted back. They made note of complaint. Now watching C cnbc and the ignition recall. I am concerned as only 1key was touched by dealer and that was it.

- Concord, NC, USA

Aug 042015

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact stated that while driving, the theft system warning light illuminated and the engine stalled. The contact was able to maneuver off the road and shut the vehicle off. The contact was able to restart the engine after resetting the theft system. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 175,000.

- Hahira, GA, USA

Jul 132011

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled unexpectedly. The contact was able to coast over to side of the road and restart the vehicle. The dealer diagnosed that the ignition needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 210,000.

- Tampoka, FL, USA

May 312015

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. When the ignition was turned to the on position, the vehicle did not start. The contact stated that the ignition had to be turned to the off position then back to the on position in order for the vehicle to start. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- New Carlisle, OH, USA

May 022013

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled when the fuel pump exploded without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who confirmed that the fuel pump exploded. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Milan, TN, USA

Feb 122009

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

The key caused the ignition switch to separate and become loose. Now the ignition switch is out of position and start out of place and is very dangerous. I asked told them about it when they were replacing the recall keys. They refuse to fix or look into it because it was not included in the law suit. Which it should have because they both go together to solve the problem. The problem is still there and not resolve. The ignition switch was the main problem along with the keys.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Mar 022015

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

The 2004 Chevy Malibu classic is experiencing the same brake apply sensor (bas) circuit malfunction as other 2004 GM vehicles listed in GM recall 13036. The brake lights do not come on when the brake pedal is pushed, even though the light bulbs are brand new. I am asking GM to investigate and consider adding the 2004 Chevy Malibu classic to the list of vehicles to be recalled in recall 13036. The conditions that the 2004 Malibu classic are experiencing are identical to the conditions stated in the recall.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Oct 012014

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact stated that the anti-theft sensor and the service engine sensor kept randomly illuminating and the vehicle stalled several times. The contact also experienced difficulty removing the key and getting the key to turn over into an on position to start the vehicle. The contact heard a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel, which occurred frequently and the noise continued while driving. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and indicated that the dealer was not able to determine when the part would become available to schedule the recall repair. The contact called for months and was not able to schedule an appointment. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Winder, GA, USA

Sep 252014

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph, the engine stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: Number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and believed the failure was related to the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 10,177.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 172014

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) and stated that the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the part to become available. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Feb 152014

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact stated that the front driver side window failed to roll down. In addition, the instrument panel gauges, air conditioning, and radio failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Aug 072014

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

Theft system did not allow the car to start. Theft system light appears intermittently. Following the "wait 10 minutes" procedure described in other complaints results in start on some occasions but does not work on others. Considering the GM ignition problem recalls, I do not understand why this has not been the subject of one.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Jul 182014

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

Upon shutting car off my car key would not come out ignition after dangling the key I came out but the ignition wasn't in the off position. Lm attempt to put the key back in to turn it to off position it didn't budge. The next morning the car wouldn't start I had to get a jump and then the following morning the car wouldn't start I had to get a jump. I went advance auto parts and was told that because the car is not in off position completely its draining my battery, I also was informed of a recall for my vehicle that I wasn't aware of. I will take to dealership on Monday. The other problems I have is the driver's side window after letting down wont come back up. Turn signals not working one minute pop on other minute. I check the fuse box it was fine.

- East Point, GA, USA

Jul 082014

Malibu Classic

I was in the process of slowing down for a red light on a busy highway when my car just died. I had two kids in the car with me. Something bad could have happened. Good thing it the car died at a red light. I waited a few minutes and the car started up. I had the car tested for any codes and nothing showed for a reason why the car did this. This has happened several times. The first time it happened was about 3 years ago.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Apr 052011

Malibu Classic

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu classic. The contact stated that the anti-theft and the ABS warning lights illuminated intermittently. Additionally, the instrument panel, dimmer switch, radio, speedometer, air conditioning lights, and the air conditioning controls all failed. The contact had to reposition the key in the ignition switch and attempted numerous times to start the vehicle. The contact also stated that the anti-theft feature would not allow the vehicle to be started. The contact mentioned that the vehicle would stall intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control and service brakes, hydraulic). The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Commack, NY, USA

May 272014

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

Security system went haywire. I got in my car tried to start it, it will start, but dies in seconds, no dash lights, if I leave the ignition turn to on after so long 10 minutes or longer sometimes the dash lights will turn on again. And then I am able to start my car and drive it, however sometimes the car even after waiting a half hr will not reset the passlock security system. It costs over $500 to fix and this is the second one I have had to replace in my car. The dealer should be fixing this issue as it is a known issue and has had multiple complaints all over the internet. This is ridiculous how can the charge such an outrageous amount and yet it go bad again and not recall this.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jan 062014

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

Intermittent problems w/ signal light. No signal (from stopped or waiting position) signal, then no signal (any speed). No signal, then suddenly signal (any speed or driving condition) I've had it in to the dealership multiple times but they have never been able to replicate, so they say there isn't a problem.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jun 012012

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

I purchased my car in 2005 and this problem didn't start until 2012. My car will not start at times and the first time it happened I had no idea that it was the ignition switch/antitheft system kicking in. For some reason my car thought I was trying to steal it. I had the fuel system looked into and changed a couple of parts thinking that was the problem, but obviously now I know it wasn't. I have had it plugged in and no diagnosis was found. I did bring it to a man that works on Chevrolet and he told me I probably need a new ignition switch. So for two years now, I have to reset my ignition switch/anti theft system on many occasions, which takes 10 minutes while your sitting where ever you may be. I do strongly believe that this needs to be a recall as I see sooo many complaints about this. Unfair that we all have to fix this issue ourselves when the GM should be fixing the issue!!!!

- Hibbing, MN, USA

May 152014

Malibu Classic 4-cyl

After starting the car there was no power to windows radio or ac also gauges for temperature and fuel did not work.

- Little Rock, CA, USA