7.6

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid:

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid Owner Comments

Jul 162014

Malibu Hybrid

On the morning of July 17, 2014 I experience my power steering notification illuminate as well as service traction notification as I was preparing to make a left turn, my steering wheel locked up and made it very difficult to turn. Luckily enough I was able to move the car out of the way before my vehicle was almost hit by a 18 wheeler. This is the second time as I was driving my power steering notification came on and almost cause me to have an accident, the first time happen in may of this year both times my son was in the car. In February of 2013 I was making my way across a very busy intersection and the car cut completely off in the middle of the intersection, I had to get the car towed to the dealership. The "service traction" and "service ESC" illuminated then as well. The car acceleration is slow when the air condition is on. I am at a point I no longer want to drive this vehicle. I fear the next time may result in injury or a fatality. I honestly care not to opt for the repair because it was sent to the dealership for repairs one time and now it must go again, the third time may be the last and before I get to that point I would like to get out of this vehicle. For the safety of not only me but my son who is only 10 years old. I called GM and inquired if they can offer some sort of a rebate that I may use towards another vehicle, but I was told no and only offered an apology and informed that GM is currently not offering a rebate, yet I still have to wait to be informed as to when I can take the car in for service because they are out of parts, if that does not ring a bell I don't know what will. I fear this car will be the death of me. I am reaching out for help.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 042011

Malibu Hybrid

Vehicle would not go more than 20 mph after startup from intersection. Left front & right rear brakes applied themselves. Vehicle would not go above 20 mph even at 4100 RPM. Pulled off to side of road. Turned engine off. Went from wheel to wheel - left front and right rear too hot to touch. Right front & left rear cool to touch. Applied moisture to left front and right rear brake rotors; boiled off immediately. Turned engine back on & vehicle resumed normal operation. Same failure happened in May 2011 at 8,601 miles. Not tdc's either time. In March 2011 at 6,849 miles, ESC malfunctioned with 3 tdc's.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 222011

Malibu Hybrid 4-cyl

Car refused to go above 30 mph when accelerating from light on river road even when applying full throttle. Went about half mile until I smelled friction material. Pulled car over to side of road. Walked from wheel to wheel to see how hot they were. Left front wheel was exceedingly hot as was right rear wheel. Left rear wheel & right front wheel were cool enough to touch. Car had been driven about 5 minutes in urban traffic when this happened. When car was restarted, the brakes released & no further trouble encountered. Two days early, car had intermittent mild, low-frequency jerking while driving which went away after a couple of minutes. Again, this happened in urban driving about 5 minutes after starting. Both days clear weather. No dash trouble messages displayed. Car had been in for reprogramming of ESC module about a month earlier after three different ESC trouble messages appeared on dash - traction control, ESC and hill start.

- Washington, DC, USA