2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments

Apr 152014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Since 1/2012, intermittent malfunction of power steering and engine operation at highway/street speeds occurs. Vehicle since has been inspected for incidents by certified dealers/auto repair shops. Problem continues forcing the driver to veer off the road without steering and/or power, putting the driver and anyone in the path at risk of injury/death. My research due to the most current incident led me to information released from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration dated April 1, 2014 stating that 1,340,447 cars affected with this problem. NHTSA campaign # 14V153000, GM recall #:N140115. GM knew this information. On 4/23/14 I submitted a complaint to the NHTSA, and GM. 2 GM employees denied the recall/services, yet eventually admitted that they knew about the recall which would be made public 4/28/14, yet notices to vehicle owners will go out after 4/28/14. GM continues the practice of not informing the public.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Dec 252012

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Brake lights flashed intermittently when I was not braking. I was stopped and informed of this by at state trooper. "check engine" light was on. The cruise control has disengaged involuntarily since 2005. I had a new brake pedal position sensor installed, but the cruise control still disengages and the check engine light comes on during trips of more than 10 miles.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Nov 132010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

When I start my car, I can hear some click noise from transmission or brake control. I had not been aware of that could lead to server accident afterwards, because the car is pretty new and I keep it in maintenance periodically. On November 13, 2010, I drove at 40-50mph, along hwy 128 to mendocino. It ran out of control, rush a small mound of road side, rolled over on the road. I was trapped in the car, all frond windshield was broken. I escaped safely. I doubt the control has some problem, lead the car imbalance.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Sep 242010

Malibu Maxx

Failure of power steering while accelerating vehicle. Steering direction becomes impossible to change until acceleration ceases. This has supposedly been fixed by the dealership two times previous to today. The last time it was fixed was only two weeks ago and while I was driving the kids into school this morning, the steering locked up, the dinging sound turned on, and the message board read power steering along with a tool that lit up on the dashboard.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA