2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Dec 132004

Malibu Maxx

I purchased my vehicle brand new in August 2004. The power steering went while I was turning on to a street in I believe December 2004. It was taken to the dealership and the steering column was supposedly replaced. A couple of months later, the same thing happened again. When I took the car to the dealership again, I questioned why it was not recalled at the time, since this was the second time it happened. I was advised that it was a bad batch of steering boots and there were not enough problems to replace them. Again, the steering column was supposedly replaced. All seemed to be fine until I believe December 2010. The steering went again. I contacted the dealership and GM to see what could be done. I was advised that my problem had been taken care of in 2004/2005 and there was nothing they could do. I took the car to a local mechanic who had to replace everything once again. This time it cost me over $1500.

- Tonawanda, NY, USA

Apr 072012

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while turning at 3 mph, the steering wheel seized and was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was stopped and shut off. The steering wheel functioned as normal upon restart. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where they stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 89,000 and the current mileage was 89,050.

- Bay City , MI, USA

Mar 162012

Malibu Maxx

I just exited the highway and was turning into a parking lot and heard a loud clunk and the steering failed. The dealership informed me that the steering rack and gears to the steering column needed to be replaced along with the spring and sensor for airbag on the steering column. The steering column would then have to be re-centered and the car realigned.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Jun 072011

Malibu Maxx

Power steering keeps going off, for no apparent reason, this should be a recall there are too many complaints about the same issue happening the same way, and at times when driving happy no one has had to loose their life due to a faulty system defect.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 072011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While my wife was crossing the verranzno bridge between brooklyn and staten island the electrical steering failed. This created a extreme safely issue since my wife did not have enough strength to control the steering. This forced her to slow to a stop while other cars were going full speed creating a safely issue. When she turn the car on again she managed to get the car off the bridge and to the dealer for replacement. My wife was lucky that is wasn't in a condition that she was making a turn or some other position that could had cause an accident. There were two other people in the car and in no time should a steering failure cause almost complete lost of control because you not have strength to turn the wheel.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 072012

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact was driving 55 mph when the steering seized while making a turn. The power steering warning light illuminated after the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 59,843.

- Bigstonegap, VA, USA

Jan 172011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The power steering went out last year and I had the steering column replace (that's what they said was wrong) now here it is 14 months later and it's out again. I am afraid to drive it even to the shop. It has to be some kind of defective part by Chevy based on the massive number of complaints I see on the web about this. I should not have to shell out money to have this fixed again. This is a dangerous problem and should be addressed by the factory!

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While turning into a parking spot, I received a warning chime and noticed a steering warning note on the digital display. After car was turned off and back on, the notice was not present and steering was normal. On several other occasions, the steering would repeat this situation but it would do it in no apparent regular driving state, ie, could be going down road at highway speeds or just maneuvering into a parking spot. Always would return to normal after a cycle of the ignition key and could be months before a repeat event. Sometimes the event would seem to reduce steering power but not remove all assist and at other times the steering assist would be completely removed.

- Monticello, GA, USA

Nov 192011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Failure of electronic power steering. Luckily happened at low speed and no traffic. Internet shows this be a problem with other Malibu owners. GM has recalled other vehicles with same problems, but no recall by NHTSA, only investigations. Loss of steering is one thing that should not be acceptable.

- Conway, AR, USA

May 042011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I bought this car in 2010. The steering problem has been intermittent since the car passed 33K. I haven't had this happen on the road, but usually after I park and turn the car back on. There will be no power steering making it almost impossible to drive. If I shut it off and turn it back on again, the problem isn't there. Quite unnerving. The car also has a clunk sound in the left front under the steering wheel. The warning for power steering is on more than it is off. I wish there was a recall on this. There have been so many complaints on the internet and my mechanic says there should be a recall on this. I haven't had it fixed because I can't afford it.

- Boothbay, ME, USA

Nov 062010

Malibu Maxx

Approx. On 11-06-2011 while pulling into a parking stall the power steering went out. 11-17-2011 while driving at 30 mph the power steering went out. 11-23-2011 while driving at highway speeds the power steering went out. All three times I was able to get the power steering back after parking and turning off the engine.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Dec 092011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I was driving home from work going about 30 mph when power steering went out on me. It was very difficult to steer and freaked me out since my 2 year old daughter was in the back seat and there was a lot of traffic. Thankfully I was only 4 blocks from home. Got home turned the car off and then back on and it reset, but then my husband took it for a drive around the block and it happened again. After all the research, it ticks me off that GM is not taking responsiblity for this problem.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 232008

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Streering started to make a cluck noise around September 2008. I took it in for this problem and they put some grease in. It still makes these sounds but has slowly gotten worse. I think there is something really bad or major going on with the power steering unit.

- Canton, OH, USA

Nov 212011

Malibu Maxx

As I was coming up a hill to a stop light. Steering was lost. Since I do not drive this car often, I did not know this happened before. My wife said she stops the car and restarts the problem goes away.. not a good situation as one drives. Wondering if there is a recall on this problem.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Nov 172011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Driving home from work making a right hand turn the power steering went out completely, service vehicle soon light chimed and came on, power steering failure illuminated on the driver information center. After pulling over into a parking lot with no power steering I turned off car waited a few minutes restarted car and power steering was fine all warning lights had gone off. I have researched this problem and have found that there are numerous complaints regarding this issue with Chevrolet Malibu's. I just purchased this used car and am very concerned with this safety issue, as this needs to be addressed. Not only am I jeopardizing my safety and well being, but jeopardizing those close to me.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Nov 082011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While stopped at a traffic signal, the car made a clicking noise. A yellow light/wrench appeared and the display showed power steering. All power steering was gone. After arriving home I turned the vehicle off. Awhile later I started the car and the power steering was working and all indicators were gone. I'm concerned that this could happen while I'm moving.

- Latham, NY, USA

Oct 312011

Malibu Maxx

Power steering keeps failing while driving. I have read many complaints on this issue. The car has 105,552 miles. My mechanic has talked to Chevy mechanics and they say you can fix the sensor motor and steering column but cant guarantee that will fix the problem. How is it GM can get away without doing a recall on this problem if its unsafe? the Chevy dealer told my mechanic the best thing I can do is trade it in. I am almost done paying for the car and don't want to purchase a new car. I want this one fixed and not be scared that I'm gonna get killed in it or kill someone else!

- Belle Plaine, MN, USA

Jan 012011

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that the steering wheel would seize when driving 5 mph and above. The contact would shut the vehicle off whenever the failure occurred and the vehicle would operate as normal upon restart. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 152011

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While driving my power steering went out. It felt like wet cement in the steering column. I have driven a car with out power steering before this was much harder. I pulled over opened the hood to see if anything was loose. Could not find anything. Once I restarted the car it was fine. 30 mins later making a left turn it goes out again, turn car on and off and it works again.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 102009

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

When driving the vehicle, it became hard to turn. It took two of us to turn into a parking lot. I got to a safe spot to stop, turned the engine off, waited about 15 minutes and restarted, operated fine. I have dealt with this issue at various times since but have had to deal with it daily for the past week. Took it to the dealer, they did diagnostic and saw no problems. They have no suggestions for me.

- Covington, GA, USA