2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Mar 082010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Chevy Malibu maxx 04 steering catches in hard left or right turns with shifting and grating sounds. Complain since new with steering shaft replaced (about 40,000) and other work. Numerous complaints about this issue. Car has 90,0000 now and the noise and steering issues have been getting worse. Dealer says about $300 to replace with no guarantee that it will fix the problem. I feel it is a safety issue and am afraid to drive the car.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Apr 082010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

We have a Chevy Malibu maxx, we have had numerous problems with the steering on this vehicle. I know the car has electronic steering and this is what I, M worried about. When driving the vehicle on the highway or in town the power steering sometimes goes out and other times it seems like you lose control of the steering all together.the steering also becomes very tight and then very fast it becomes very loose almost causing the driver to loose control. A few days ago on the highway the steering wheel became very loose and began pulling from side to side for many miles, we had to pull over and turn off the vehicle. This did not help the steering problem any.the car would also start pulling from one side to the other on its own. When I would try to correct the steering in the opposite direction it would then pull to the opposite direction almost causing the vehicle to wreck. Even when going at low speeds the vehicles steering is becoming a real problem. It feels like you are about to lose control at any minute. I have read that many others are having the same problem that we are and that worries me very much, because we have two small children who ride in this vehicle often. Is this issue something that Chevy is looking into or will it take a couple of accidents or even a death for them to recall this car for repairs. I hope you will take this matter very seriously before something very deadly happens. It is a very dangerous mechanical issue that Chevy desperately needs to take a look at.

- Beeville, TX, USA

Feb 232010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu maxx, on seven times now the power steering goes out (inoperative with a chime and amber light) this has only happened below 15 miles an hour and while in a sharp turn. The car becomes very difficult to turn especially for my wife and impossible for my daughter. Chevy could not find any faults, I had the shop replace the electric motor at a cost of $700 and two weeks later it happened again. I now any having the steering column with a sensor replaced for another $600. Again Chevy refuses to help. They have a service bulletin about this exact scenario but still they refuse. There have been many complaints that I have found on the internet.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Mar 212010

Malibu Maxx

Most recent incident was Sunday March 21. Noticed the steering problem for the first time about 2 weeks ago, but the double click sound has been going on for about 5 months. While turning left from a stop light the steering stopped working. I started from a stop, accelerated thru the intersection turning left. About halfway thru the turn my steering wheel tried to go back straight. It nearly jerked the wheel out of my hands. I took my foot off the gas and a second later the steering came back. I have since been able to reproduce the effect several times. I also noticed that it is accompanied by a double "click" sound coming from somewhere under the steering column, and is usually accompanied by a bing bing and either/or the battery light and the car with a wrench light. This also occurs when accelerating up hill on the freeway.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Feb 252010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While traveling on route 128 in wellesley, MA at a steady unacceleration speed of 65 mph, I experienced a near total loss of steering control, accompanied by an annunciator light on the odometer display, a repeating bell sound, and a "power steering" message displayed on the radio. With great effort I was able to control the vehicle. It is my opinion that had my girl friend or an elderly person been driving that the outcome could have been a fatal one. Using significant strength I was able to steer to a safe area. I reviewed the owner's manual which advised going to the dealer. After about 12 minutes, I started the vehicle and everything appeared normal. I then drove to the dealer (banks Chevrolet in concord, nh) from whom I purchased the vehicle and recounted the experience to them. They were very responsive and assigned a technician to obtain the (obd-II) error codes, if any had been recorded. The readout obtained was code 545, which they researched and, although it did pertain to the power steering, it referred to an "intermittent" loss of power steering assist, not a full and continuous loss. Since it was nearing closing time, an appointment was made for the following Thursday, 3/4/10. On that date, the banks technician (jim wathen) researched the issue further and made some electrical adjustments. The vehicle has performed normally since. I am reporting this heart-stopping event because I believe that a vehicle should have a fail-safe steering system. I hold an airline Transport Pilot certificate and a lot of our training, both in airplanes and helicopters, is dedicated to the proper response to a total failure in the hydraulic system. This event required more strength than any I have experienced in aviation and decidedly could have been fatal, especially if the road conditions were slippery or the roadway itself twisty (as in the mountains). A hard turn to either the left of the right just could not have been made.

- Lincoln, NH, USA

Oct 142009

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Power steering control I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu maxx V6, I bought new a few months later I heard a faint knocking in the steering wheel each year it became more noticeable. Now the service engine light comes on with the message of power steering. I have complained and had a number of diagnostic checks that are different results. Chevy refuse to acknowledge the numerous complaints. My power steering failed on me going down the highway behind an 18 wheeler, I struggled just to get across 1 lane and onto the shoulder. I was too scared to turn the car off because I was 10 mi. Away from home. So I slowly drove down the highway once I made it home I turned the car off and later turned it back on with power back in my steering wheel. This is just as dangerous as Toyota cars. There need to be a full investigation this is one of many complaints I have posted with no results!!!!!!!!

- Jackson, MS, USA

Nov 252009

Malibu Maxx

I've been driven my 04 Chevy Malibu max with out power steering for about 4 months now. Every time I contact a Chevy dealer they say oh there's nothing they can do. I had diagnostics done and they said there nothing they can do its not to big.. they also said its not a safety issue.. I just saw on the news that they are recalling the cobalts for power steering, why are they not fixing them and they know the maxxs are having problems nothing has happened yet..

- Fall River, MA, USA

Feb 052010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

2004 Chevy Malibu maxx ls. The power steering goes out when traveling at slow speeds or stopped. This has happened 3 or 4 times. No acc or injury. Power steering goes back on after turning off the ignition and restarting the car. This appears to be the same problem as the other GM autos that were recalled today, March 2, 2010. Tsb's have been issued, but no recall. The incident date listed is approx the last time this happened.

- Hatboro, PA, USA

Feb 262010

Malibu Maxx

My 2004 Chevy Malibu maxx is showing the power steering needs fixed. I took it to a dealer and they said that I need to replace it right away. I am getting fixed now so that I do not have any more problems with the power steering.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 262010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu maxx. On Jan. 26, I got into the car. My check engine light came on and the information center said to check power steering. The steering was a little hard. My friend was going to check it when I got home. By the time I got home that night, the problem was not occurring and the lights were off. This has happened a couple times since. Then today, 3/2/2010, I got in the car. It was very difficult to steer until about 15 mph. It was less difficult between 15 and 30 mph, and O.K., but not normal, over 30 mph. When I got to work, I had to move my car after a few minutes. When I got into it and moved it, the steering was fine. I am reporting this because of the similarity with the cobalt steering issue that has caused a recent recall. The symptoms sound exactly like the news reports, but the Malibu isn't on the list yet.

- East Troy, WI, USA

Jan 192010

Malibu Maxx

2004 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. Electric power steering failure. Power steering has failed multiple times, especially under acceleration. Vehicle extremely hard to steer. Lights and warning bells go off on dash of vehicle. Vehicle was taken to hudiburg Chevrolet two times and they said there is nothing they could do to repair problem and did not even look at car. Wanted to charge me just to look at it. Vehicle was still under warranty at the time.

- Seabrook, TX, USA

Oct 172009

Malibu Maxx

Power steering failure. When I start car and making sharp turns, in addition to just driving down the road. Here clicking in the front right end when going up hill. Told by mechanic that it is a prob with the electric power steering system and rack and pinion. Oddly enough there was and 2006 mailbu in at the same time with the same problem mechanic felt it should be a recall issue. Also have issue with the turn signals failing I have replaced many times. I also have a hole that melted on the front right side in the plastic housing.

- Orinda, CA, USA

Jan 132010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

On January 13, 2010, the warning, with little wrench lit, "power steering" came on the dash of my 2004 Chevy Malibu maxx. I am concerned that there may be further problems with the steering because just the day before, my son-in-law's 2006 Chevy Malibu sedan's steering quit while he was driving down the road. Online research shows me that this is a prominent problem with the Chevy Malibu vehicles for which GM is not issuing a recall or fix. Are they waiting for someone to be seriously injured or to die before acting?

- Elyria , OH, USA

Jan 102010

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Malibu max. While driving 10 mph, the contact heard a clicking noise and then the power steering malfunctioned. The failure has occurred on three occasions while driving. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by a dealer. The contact is concerned about the safety risk and the potential that a crash could occur the contact feels the manufacturer should be responsible for the repairs. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Andover, OH, USA

Jan 042010

Malibu Maxx

Power steering failure with car. Steering wheel would not move. Almost causing an accident.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Dec 182009

Malibu Maxx

Lost power steering. Problem was resolved by turning car off waiting a minute and restarting. Power steering then resumed normal operation. This has now happened on two occasion. No repairs have been made to this point. I have reviewed car forums and noted this appears a common problem in this model. It appears the steering column may need to be replaced. Additionally when cold, the power steering now feels sluggish.

- Crescent Springs, KY, USA

Dec 172009

Malibu Maxx

2004 Chevy Malibu maxx failure of electric power steering while driving. When the car is shut off it resets itself but eventually comes back.

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Nov 022009

Malibu Maxx

I was driving my 2004 Malibu maxx to work yesterday and my steering locked up on me while driving down a busy road during rush hour. The steering wheel pulled to left before locking up. I hope someone will force GM to recall this and fix this problem. There may have not yet been a death, but there will be in time. How many complaints need to be reported before this is taken seriously. My dealer had to completely replace the entire steering column and power steering motor. My car only has 55K miles on. This situation is extremely unsafe! do something about it!!!

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Oct 192004

Malibu Maxx

Power steering failed while car was being driven. Dealership said steering column has to be replaced. The steering column was replaced at 14,000 miles because of a service bulletin. The car has less than 56,000 miles on it and repair cost is in excess of $550. Major safety issue which has already been investigated. Apparently GM has not found a reliable solution to the problem. This is a major safety issue and there should be a total recall of the 2004 Malibu maxx.

- South Amboy, NJ, USA

Aug 312009

Malibu Maxx

Loss of power steering assist while driving. This has happened twice. The power steering assist goes away and "power steering" is displayed on the driver information center.

- Saint John, 00, USA