2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jul 012016

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. When the steering wheel was turned to the left and when starting the vehicle, an abnormal noise emerged from the steering wheel. The dealer was notified of the failure and indicated that it was due to a safety feature. In addition, the brake lights remained illuminated when the brakes had not been applied. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V252000 (electrical system, electronic stability control, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic, vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Bridgeview, IL, USA

Apr 232016

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving approximately 50 mph, the power steering seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Oct 142014

Malibu Maxx

2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. Consumer writes in regards to the electric power steering recall notice. The consumer stated he received an invoice stating the recall was completed. However, after leaving the dealer, he experienced a power steering failure. Upon returning to the dealer for an explanation of the power steering failure, the consumer was informed it was a separate problem not related to the repair that was just performed. According to the service ticket, the technician found and checked code C0900 and then checked the alternator. It then stated he found a related tsb that said when finding a code C0900 and B1325 as well as other contributing factors it may need to have a coil replaced and ground strap added. The technician did not state he found both codes.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jul 312015

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle veered to the right and the steering wheel jerked violently to the right. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 130,000.

- West Point, GA, USA

Oct 012015

Malibu Maxx

Issue one is the drivers seal welds brake on the rear and front from the floor mount base to the elevated control thus in the case of a crash the seat is compromised to separate completely from the floor mount due to these welds being broke. Second issue fuel pumps begin to leak at the seal of the pump at the fuel tank leaking heavy amounts of fuel from the tank and onto the exhaust. Third issue which I have seen multiple reports of recalls but the dealership denies there is an issue with the maxx that only the base model is effected but while driving the power steering will fail and the car has no control and will violently jerk in one direction throwing the vehicle in to oncoming lanes or even into the ditch. Happens periodically the power steering message appears on main control message screen and car will sound an alarm, other times the entire dash board warning lights from check engine, oil, air bag, seat belt, so on so all come on and the power steering goes out. I have found that this issue usually occurs while accelerating whether slowly or even while trying to speed up more aggressively to merge unto expressway traffic. I have nearly wrecked into numerous cars due to steering going out and wheel will violently jerk one direction or to the other. Not sure why this site shows a recall for power steering but dealership denies there is a active recall for the maxx but they have one for the 2005 base Malibu

- Wellington, KS, USA

Oct 022015

Malibu Maxx

I took my car in on 9/3/15 for a recall on power steering torque sensor assembly, a brake component, and gear shift cable. My car had the issue of loosing power steering prior to me bringing it in on one occasion. After getting my car serviced at chuck hutton Chevy in memphis, tn for the recalls only one week later my car began making whining, grinding noises every time I turned the wheel. I first thought the car needed power steering fluid, however I was advised that since my car had an eps I couldn't put power steering fluid in the vehicle. I decided to take the car back to chuck hutton because I was not told when they did the repairs that anything else was wrong with my car. I assumed perhaps a mistake was made and a bolt was not put on properly. When I took the car back I was told that the car needed a power steering rack, new tires, and wheel alignment. My tires on my car are barely 6 months old and you can now see the thread and prior to taking my car to get the recalls done on it I had my car fully serviced in August. I feel that my car was tampered with. The servicing agent told me my car was leaking power steering fluid and the ps rack was badly worn down. But my car has an electric pump and their is no fluid to leak as the supervisor told me when I came to him to resolve my concerns. Yes, I tried to resolve the issue with the supervisor but was brushed off and told my car was old. As baldly as my car sounds I feel that if it was really wear and tear they would have seen it when they looked at my car the first time and notified me. I wasn't notified leaving me to believe my car was tampered with so that I would have to bring it back for expensive repairs. If not then what needs to be fixed could have caused an accident and killed me or my children because they didn't notify me there was a problem when I took it to them. Either they are negligent or crooked.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 052015

Malibu Maxx

Upon acceleration power steering stops working and power steering warning message shows. GM dealer service center advised that it is the ignition coil. Replaced with a newer version of the ignition coil and added a ground strap based on the detected error codes and a service bulletin from GM. Updated 10/9/15

Jul 052015

Malibu Maxx

Reported earlier that power steering went out after parts were replaced under a recall. New: Power steering warning/chimes came on during acceleration (entering highway from ramp). Appointment with dealer (lou lariche Chevrolet, Plymouth, mi) on 7/10/15 (8 am est) to have recall parts checked....updated 09/22/15

Jun 302015

Malibu Maxx

Turning left from a parking lot onto street. Power steering stopped working for less than one second while making left turn. Power steering assembly has been replaced earlier under a GM recall. Had no issues with old parts before recall. Recall number: 14V153000 recall date: 03/31/2014 component: Steering:electric power assist system

Jan 152015

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Loud popping noise coming from the steering column, and can be felt in the steering wheel. Slight "play" in the steering on the left side. The noise seems to be popping within the "play" area of the steering. Purchased this vehicle from private owner with low miles, garage kept, and regular maintenance. Previous owner noticed a noise near the steering at 30000 miles.

- Clarksburg, WV, USA

Nov 112014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. Consumers stated that they tried to get car fix due to steering recall, but couldn't because the dealer wanted to charge them for labor. The dealer stated there would be a charge of $393 to replace a connecting shaft, between the steering column and the rack and pinion.

- Jefferson, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

2005 Chevy Malibu mass master brake cylinder was defective and caused the brakes to wear very quickly. Also, the power steering failed. The consumer no longer owns the vehicle, as it was totaled in an accident.

- Thomaston, ME, USA

Jan 202015

Malibu Maxx

I used my scanner tool and I got the code P0826 which is due to a problem with the shifter, the shift cable must be broken. Am I entitled to take my car to get fixed in a dealer before an accident occurs or somebody dies?

- Perth Amboy, NJ, USA

Sep 232010

Malibu Maxx

Replaced a steering rod at 34000 & 73000 & 105,000 that was made of metal ln 05. GM went back to plastic the next year as this did not hold up. Second is the remote start problem. I had it repaired two different times at GM and does not work as of now. Was told it was a BCM problem each it was an expensive fix temporary that many other people have the same problem with this car!

- Whitesburg, KY, USA

Nov 292014

Malibu Maxx

The contact owned a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving downhill at approximately 35 mph with the brake pedal depressed, the ABS was activated and the steering wheel suddenly became very difficult to turn. The driver was unable to control the steering and the brakes would not stop the vehicle. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. The vehicle was destroyed. No injuries were reported and no police report was filed. The cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN provided was incorrect. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Alanson, MI, USA

Jul 032014

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that the power steering failed intermittently on several occasions. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver due to being too loose or tight. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel due to the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who indicated that the power steering motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,233. Updated 01/12/15

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 102014

Malibu Maxx

At the stop light the steering locked up with engine running at stop light. After police stopped to help and another passer by stopped to help the engine was turned off and then restarted to reset cpu computer and then the steering was returned on again to work free.. this car also has the starter run on when trying to start the engine, solution is to push on gas pedal when turning the key to start and let engine then to start and run. Recall parts still on order and I keep asking to get this fixed but no parts yet. What's next with this car, ,, GM should buy it back. And scrap it.

- Joplin , MO, USA

Jun 042014

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the vehicle shook. In addition, the contact stated that when making a turn, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where the front end was aligned and the vehicle was tuned up. The failure recurred. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering) however, the part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 213,000.

- Lithonia , GA, USA

Aug 092014

Malibu Maxx

My wife was slowing down to enter a rest stop in her 2005 Chevy Malibu maxx when there was a ding and power steering was displayed on the driver information center. At the same time, she noticed she had lost power steering. She was able to stop the vehicle safely and turned it off. A few minutes later, she restarted the car. There was no longer the power steering display and the power steering had returned. A recall notice was issued on April 21 for electric power steering assist for this generation of Malibu (GM recall no. N140116; NHTSA recall no. 14V153) but we still haven't gotten a letter. When I called the Chevrolet customer assistance center, I was told parts are still not available. Apparently there are three other GM electric power steering recalls, with parts available for those three others but not our car. So far the problem hasn't returned, but once it happens the first time doubt gets planted. Especially because this is at least the second time there has been such a recall. We got a recall notice in late 2007 for the power steering system as well, and I'm pretty sure there was another one before this year's recall.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Jul 142006

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving 30 mph, the power steering failed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted and was taken to the dealer. The repairs that were made were unknown, but the failure recurred intermittently. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- St.Paul, MN, USA