2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Oct 012009

Malibu Maxx

My 2006 Malibu maxx loses power steering randomly at various speeds. The wheel tightens, is impossible to steer, the warning bell sounds and the phrase "power steering" flashes on the display. Car must be stopped and turned off repeatedly sometimes to reset. Car has done this in traffic, on highways and freeways, and in parking lots. The failure occurs randomly and at random driving speeds. The replacement cost is over $1000 at the dealership. Chevy claims the problem can only be corrected by replacement parts that can only be issued and installed at a Chevy dealership. The failure has occurred since the car reached 40,000 miles. After the corresponding recall of Chevy cobalts and Pontiac pursuits, I expected the recall to eventually cover Malibu maxx.

- Yakima, WA, USA

Oct 292010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I have a Chevrolet Malibu maxx and the power steering has failed on 2 separate occasions. The first incident was when I was taking a left turn and the power steering failed half way through the turn. Luckily I was able to pull off into a parking lot and turn off the vehicle. There was a ding and the front displayed "power steering." The next day when reversing out of a parking lot I had the same thing happen although this time the steering wheel shimmied, then the ding, failure of power steering, and the display. I was once again able to turn off the vehicle and restart. Upon restarting the power steering resumed. Since these two incidents I have noticed that the steering wheel jerks a little with any turns. I am so glad I was not going at a fast speed or in heavy traffic as an accident definitely could have been caused. I have called and reported it to Chevrolet and set up an appt with a dealer on Monday. Chevrolet stated that it is infact a "special coverage on power steering" and in other cases have involved replacing the entire steering column. I am shocked that this has not been a recall and that other customers are put in this danger. Thank you for looking further into this.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Oct 102010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

There have been multiple times since I have bought my 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx lt that the power steering locks up causing me to temporarily lose control of my car. This usually happens when accelerating. The steering wheel locks up and it stays in its last position and the car dings. I have no message on my dash or radio. Usually letting off the gas corrects the issue within a couple seconds. In those seconds before I regain control of my car, I have no control to keep me from hitting something. I've seen many reports online for the same issue. I've read some that have said it caused an accident or almost caused an accident. There was a recall for the Chevy cobalt for the same issue.

- Brookeville, MD, USA

Sep 152009

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Electric power steering in the 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx is defective. It goes out while driving. I have read on several blog and community websites that several others that own 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx have the same problem. The company should recall this at once and fix all impacted vehicles before someone dies.

- Saratoga Springs, UT, USA

Jan 082009

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. The contact stated when driving various speeds, the power steering will fail and the steering wheel would become extremely difficult to maneuver. The contact would shift into neutral and restart the vehicle in order to reset the power steering assist. The dealer was informed of the failure and stated that they would need to diagnose the vehicle to determine the exact cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 117,000.

- Armada, MI, USA

Sep 172010

Malibu Maxx

My 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx has lost power steering three times. It has been to the mechanic twice. Driving at any time, but especially at higher speeds on the highway, is frightening because the power steering my go out unexpectedly.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

Aug 012010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I have a 06 Malibu maxx and the steering keeps locking up. Why this issue has not been recalled I do not know. This is a common issue with the Malibu and am very upset that the issuse has not been addressed!!! someone will be killed because of this and will be headed to court before it is taken seriously!!!

- Moorhead, MN, USA

Aug 262010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

While driving to school yesterday, my Malibu 2006 maxx, the power steering locked up causing me to run off the road and into a ditch. The power steering has locked up before but only while it was in park, and I turned off the car and restarted the car. It reset itself and I was able to drive. Luckily I was not hurt this time but this is a safety issue if there was ever one. I have done some research of this subject and understand that this has been an on going issue with Malibu. After all the complaints what are they waiting for.....a fatality"??"

- Rockingham, NC, USA

Aug 242010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

My 2006 Malibu maxx has been have issues with the steering system. Started out with an intermittent clunking noise several months ago. The car has only 67,000 miles on it. Now it clunks every time you turn the steering wheel. The front end has always road ruff like a steering vibration but thought it was just the make of the car. Our 00' Monte Carlo and 00' Impala in comparison never road like this. Thought it was the tires so we upgraded to a better riding tire, did not make a difference. Over the last couple weeks steering noise getting worse, sensor light came on indicating power steering. Check with mechanic and cannot find anything that appears wrong on vehicle. Just this weekend on the entrance ramp on the interstate the wheel just jerked to the right. Was able to bring it back to central position quickly but was concerned. Happened today to my wife on the way to the store on a two lane road. Luckily it jerked her to the right and she was able to steer it back to the center position. Concerned of potential for serious accident and will not be so lucky next time. After plugging in steering issues with Malibu maxx's, I was shocked to see hundreds of complaints on forums and consumer sites regarding a range of years with the maxx. GM needs to wake up, does it take people dying or seriously getting hurt before they will pay attention to all these people and their issues and serious ones at that. My husband is a Ford mechanic and wanted me to buy a Ford because of quality issues, but I love the style of the maxx, the cargo capacity and now I'm having second thoughts as no one seems to be getting help other than GM has some solutions that are costing the consumer lots of money and there are still issues after the fixes. I'm seriously considering getting rid of it and settling for a car that will insure me a safe ride and keep my passengers safe. Wise up to this before people are seriously hurt. Thank you.

- Dimondale, MI, USA

Jul 152010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Within 1 week of purchasing the vehicle used I could hear a clunk when turning the steering wheel. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a 'steering column gear' and fixed it. Within 6 months the sound started again, I took it to my local mechanic he suggested replacing the rack and pinion. This stopped the sound for about 6 months, this time the sound not only came back but the steering locked up while merging onto the freeway, when I let my foot off the accelerator the steering came back. This lock up has occurred 2 more times, making a total of 3 steering lock ups in a years time.

- Dearborn Hts, MI, USA

Jul 272010

Malibu Maxx

Power steering failed on the highway. Warning light lit up on dashboard. Car jerked sharply to the right. Several hours later same thing happened upon backing out of parking space.

- Shelton, CT, USA

Jul 222010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

Power steering went out on car pulling out of a mall parking lot onto highway. Almost caused accident because of sudden loss of power steering/turning on to highway. Drove car home and parked. Restarted next morning and worked fine.

- Ft Bragg, NC, USA

Jul 042010

Malibu Maxx

The electrical power steering on my 2006 Malibu maxx lt has failed repeatedly. I took it to a Chevrolet dealer, the unit locked on the service department doing simple parking lot maneuvers. The service department said that the steering column and eps unit had to be replaced however the failure will happen again. This problem can not be fixed, it can only be replaced with defective parts since the defect is inherent in the electrical power steering system. I have reported this safety issue to the Chevrolet hot line as have other owners and still no recall. I was on the atlanta interstate 85, it locked on me and I thought that for sure a serious accident was going to occur or worst death. This failure happened three times in one day. This is a serious safety issue and has been reported for several years, please do not wait until someone is seriously injured or dies as a result. A simple internet search shows that this safety issue has been reported without results. Again, I ask that you please recall this vehicle and protect the american consumer from a death trap. I can not drive this vehicle knowing that this failure can occur at anytime without warning. Even if Chevrolet does pay to fix my vehicle, this failure will happen again.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jun 132010

Malibu Maxx

2006 Malibu maxx lt. Power steering failure while hard acceleration. Had the problem since the first day it was purchased. Dealership cant duplicated the problem. We almost had 2 accidents because of this issue. Power steering message appears on the car system information.. the car always pulls hard to the right if the acceleration has to be done fast. The vehicle has currently 75,000 miles.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jan 182010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

2006 Chevy Malibu, power steering fails in motion or upon startup. Repairs require replacement of both the ps sensor module and the ps column. Costs any where between $1500-$2000 to repair. Steering becomes very difficult, could be hard to avoid accidents or safely steer clear of road debris.

- Haltom City, TX, USA

Jun 182010

Malibu Maxx

2006 Chevy Malibu maxx. Power steering lock up on turns, pulling away at a light, going straight steering moves intermittently to the left or right and becomes hard to control. The power steering indicator does not always show on message center, sometimes it only dings repeatedly. And you can hear a ticking noise from the dash. When it stops working the steering also will go in the opposite direction you are driving.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

May 272010

Malibu Maxx

2006 Chevy Malibu maxx - 2 problems 1. metal to metal noise as steering wheel is turned 2. vibrating noise around dashboard all the time.

- Warren, OH, USA

Jan 102008

Malibu Maxx

2006 Malibu maxx power steering light comes on steering wheel freezes while car is moving steering column vibrates and yet no codes are present.

- Northfield, MN, USA

Apr 262010

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I bought my 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx from a local dealership and the first week I lost my power steering while driving. The message was displayed power steering. The mileage was 62,000. The dealership took the car to their shop and sent it back saying it was fixed. This problem continues intermittently for the next 20,000 miles. The last week before I had it repaired the power steering went out going 70 miles an hour on the highway. I could not steer at all and I lost my brakes until I shut the car off. I had to have the car towed to a Chevrolet dealership for repair. The torque sensor failed completely and they had to replace the steering column. I was told then by the Chevrolet dealership and also the dealership where I purchased the vehicle that this was a common problem and several Chevrolet on their lot had been recalled for the same problem. This cost me $700 and also I had a near accident due to losing steering and brake function at 70 miles an hour. I feel this is a serious defect and apparently well known. If I would have been hurt I would have held GM responsible as they are aware of this problem. I was told that GM used Saab parts for a few years until the problem became apparent. The Chevy Malibu maxx 2004 and 2005 models were recalled for this problem.

- Buchanan Dam, TX, USA

May 102010

Malibu Maxx

Power steering locks up and then resets itself. Has not lockup yet while driving. Have researched and many people have this problem with the same type car. I have to drive it but am afraid the whole time.

- Chickasha, OK, USA