2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Dec 212009

Malibu Maxx

The power steering assist in my 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx has suddenly stopped working twice. I had my mechanic look into it and it was a confirmed problem for the 2005 models but not the 2006. I feel this is a huge liability issue that needs to be addressed immediately, regardless of mileage. If the manufacturer knows its an issue, it needs to get fixed before someone gets hurt. I've found numerous complaints on the internet about this problem and we need your help to fix it.

- Hammond, WI, USA

Nov 102008

Malibu Maxx

Power steering goes out when I accelerate and the reading on my radio says power steering and the alarm is activated as well to let me know there is a problem. When I take my foot off of the gas, I get my power steering back. This happens regularly.

- Troy, NY, USA

Dec 082009

Malibu Maxx

Power steering went out abruptly in 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx making it difficult to drive on crowded roadway. Condition did not improve until car was brought to a complete halt, turned off and restarted. This condition has occurred previously and was addressed by my Chevrolet dealer's service department at no cost. Apparently the "fix" didn't last. When I reported this recurrence to the same service manager he quoted me a substantial estimate cost for repairing the condition. When I mentioned the growing number of complaints that I've monitored he told me that there have been no recalls only bulletins and that I will have to pay to get this dangerous condition repaired again.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Oct 102009

Malibu Maxx

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. It currently will shut down the power steering and reduce engine power without warning. This is a unsafe condition and I have read about alot of these incidents on the web that results in the whole steering column to be replaced.

- Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA

Oct 192009

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving approximately 10 mph she lost power steering without any prior warnings. She was able to safely restart the vehicle and resume normal vehicle operation. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle has not been inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 80,500. The vehicle identification number was unavailable.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 192009

Malibu Maxx

Loss of power steering! driving less than 1 mile I loss all power steering! I made a left hand turn down a cul-de-sac street and when turning around at the end of the road I lost my power steering! I was shocked that after driving to the same bus stop morning after morning with my child in the car that I had lost control of the steering wheel due to the power steering system that failed! it was very hard to make the simplest turn. The difficulty that I had experienced took me by surprise. I put the car in park and shut the car down as soon as I was in a safe area. I waited then re-started the car and the power steering had come back. I could feel that it came back in the steering wheel as I barely accelerated forward worried that I might lose the control of the wheel again I waited for all the kids at the bus stop to board the bus before I drove back home! I immediately looked online about recalls for my car incase there was a known problem, not sure that there was actually a problem with my make & model & somewhat surprised I found alot of similar situations on the NHTSA website. There seems to be others that without warning like myself loss the power steering. I even found a suggestion that read to turn the car off if possible then re-start to have power steering come back. Even though that's what I did for the safety for the kids & others. I thought are you kidding me" turn the car off to re-gain power steering should I lose it again" I sure hope that I am not on a busy highway or where kids are close to the road should this happen again. I called GM to complain of this safety issue seeing as how I did find posted bulletins about power steering loss I had believed that GM would want to inspect the safety of my car. Since it is an known problem of safety.. I was told by GM to bring the car in & pay for an inspection to look at the power steering system. GM said the cost to look at my car could start at $65-$95 maybe be higher depends on what they do!!!

- Ocala, FL, USA

Sep 172009

Malibu Maxx

The power steering failed during a turn and caught me by surprise. This almost caused me to hit another car in the turn because the steering got really hard to turn.

- Cullman, AL, USA

Jun 292009

Malibu Maxx

I was driving (with my daughter in the car). I turned the corner to pull into the parking lot at my place of employment and the steering wheel locked up. I could get it into the garage and into a spot but only with a great deal of effort. I had the car towed to a repair shop. He told me that it was an electric steering system and that it had to be replaced -- the cost would be in the vicinity of $640 plus. I took the car to a GM dealer to have it diagnosed. They confirmed that it was the steering column and it needed to be replaced. The car has approx. 52K miles. I think there needs to be a recall on this model. I am reading a great deal about many other instances similar to mine. I see there is a bulletin about the 2005 model but not the 2006. This is an extreme hazard. GM do right by the people trying to support american cars. Please.

- Denver, CO, USA

May 102009

Malibu Maxx

Electric power steering does not work sometimes when you start the car. If you shut the car off and restart the car and it starts working again.

- East Northport, NY, USA

Feb 012009

Malibu Maxx

Filing a complaint regarding my 2006 Chevy Malibu maxx...what is a safety-related defect? the United States code for motor vehicle safety (title 49, chapter 301) defines motor vehicle safety as ?the performance of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in a way that protects the public against unreasonable risk of accidents occurring because of the design, construction, or performance of a motor vehicle (the steering column is a genuine GM defective part(s), and against unreasonable risk of death or injury in an accident, and includes nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle." A defect includes ?any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment." Generally, a safety defect is defined as a problem that exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment that: Poses an risk to motor vehicle safety, and may exist in a group of vehicles of the same design or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same type and manufacture. Examples of defects considered safety-related steering components that break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control. * the above listed united state vehicle safety code is the reason for this complaint being file. I understand that Chevy used the same column unit in its 2004, 2005 and 2006 Malibu models and all three years are experiencing the same problem. Once odometer reaches a certain mileage reading the steering column electronic assisted steering column fails, it turns off, leaving the driver at the mercy of a manually hard to steer vehicle, in my wife and mine's case it is a metal death trap on the road when making a right hand turn. I have written directly to Chevy/GM motor corporation with out recognition of my complaint. This car is a large road safety issue and needs to be addressed immediately. I want Chevy to buy my car back of replace this vehicle. Please help!! I don't want to die in this vehicle, nor loose my wife.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Mar 112009

Malibu Maxx

As I drive out of nowhere the steering locks up. It started off once in a great while then got worse with time. I have heard that this is a common problem with this model and other models of Malibu. I just think it's very dangerous to know this is an issue and not do anything about it. A mechanic at Chevy said that more and more cars were coming in with that problem.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 142008

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving at any speed, the power steering fails. The dealer advised the contact to bring in the vehicle for a diagnosis. The vehicle will be repaired at the owner's expense and is becoming very difficult to drive. The failure mileage was 65,000 and current mileage was 77,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 012009

Malibu Maxx

Usually while turning the power steering goes out on the Malibu maxx. There are several complaints on it and the dealership has a bulletin regarding it. They want over $500 to fix their mistake. It happened 4 times on a 94 mile trip just last weekend. It usually happens a couple times a week. There is no warning as to when it will occur and you have no control over the car. The dealership told me to shut the car off and restart and the power would reset. That works most of the time but not a good idea if you are in heavy traffic. There will be a serious accident from this problem as it is reported more and more. People don't have the money to spend on repairs while the motor companies get "bail out" money. I want a recall.

- Hixton, WI, USA

Nov 012008

Malibu Maxx

While driving my 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx, I was backing out of my driveway when I lost power steering. I parked the car, shut it off, turned it back on and the power steering was working properly. A few days later I was driving down the road and again lost power steering. I pulled over and shut the car off and restarted and gained power steering back. It happened again nearly right away after doing the last restart. I again pulled over, shut the car off and turned it back on and power steering was back. This has happened 6 to 10 times in the last 1 to 2 months and there is no rhyme or reason to when the power steering gives out. This makes every trip in the car a potential hazard.

- Annandale, MN, USA

Jul 222008

Malibu Maxx

Bump sound in front end when starting from a stop or braking and turning. Dealer says it is a power steering shaft. They lubricated it and tightened it before warranty expired. Within 1,000 miles problems returned. Now warranty has expired and it's my problem although GM has a replacement steering shaft that will correct the problem.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Jul 202007

Malibu Maxx

Chevrolet Malibu and other makes have a problem with the steering rack and pinion. Mine has been replaced about a year ago. It had a bumping noise that you could hear even standing outside of the car while someone else is driving. GM needs to do a recall before somebody looses their steering and has a major accident. This problem is very common on these cars and needs to be addressed. I am an ase certified technician and have been for many years.

- Evergreen, AL, USA

Sep 142008

Malibu Maxx 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Malibu maxx 3.5 V6. My wife was parallel parking when the power steering locked up on her. It was very difficult to park and maneuver the vehicle. No damage was done. I went online to find out about why it just shut off and found the link to this web-site. I sure don't want to see this go out when turning around a corner. This is a safety hazard not for us but anyone else on the road as well.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 032008

Malibu Maxx

The electric steering assist system continues to fail on a regular basis. It will lock up and the steering wheel will not turn. So far, this has only happened at low speeds and has not caused a crash. I have had it into dealerships 4 times so far. Although dealership personnel have experiences the failure, no code is generated therefore Chevrolet will not pay for repair. The car is under warranty and only has 25,000 mile on it.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Aug 122008

Malibu Maxx

I started the car and thought it had stalled because the power steering had failed. I restarted the car and found it was the power steering. The car sat for about 4 hours and when restarted the power steering had returned. While driving down the road it failed again and almost caused an accident. It has not been repaired yet.

- Wyoming , MI, USA

Apr 022008

Malibu Maxx

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu maxx. While driving 55 mph, the steering became loose. The contact overcorrected her turn. In addition, the steering wheel locks intermittently. The dealer stated that they have not had any other complaints related to the steering; therefore, they referred the contact to NHTSA to file a safety complaint. The failure mileage was 48,000 and current mileage was 48,050.

- Dallas, TX, USA