1. replace intake manifold gasket (4 reports)
1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Aug 012011

Monte Carlo LS 3.1L

I replaced the Thermostat and that was a pain in the butt to do then replaced the water pump, it stripped and had to have it drilled tapped and fixed it cost $450 and it still ran hot it will cost close to $700 to fix the intake gasket but not sure if it will fix the problem. chevrolet knows they did wrong and should fix it their selves, but we know that will never happen

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 262007

Monte Carlo SS 3.1L V6

I noticed smoke coming from the drivers side of my car from under the hood. it turned out to be anti-freeze leaking from my engine. when i was at jiffy lube today the guy told me there is a class action law suit for the leaking head gasket on 3.1 engines. does anybody know who to get a hold of, or is it too late?

- , Lawrence, KS, USA

Nov 012006

Monte Carlo LS 3.1L V6

Apparently, GM used DexCool in thier cooling systems which caused the gasket to erode and leak coolant into the engine oil. My engine was sludged and I had to rebuild my valvetrain. Apparently, when replacing the gaskets, THEY USED THE SAME BAD GASKETS WITH THE SAME BAD COOLANT!!! Needless to say, I have this problem again. I will be suing GM for this.

- , Aiken, SC, USA

Jul 262007

Monte Carlo ES 3.1L

My 96 Monte Carlo had jut hit 74,000 mi. when it started loosing coolant. My mechanic told me that the dex-cool coolant these cars use "erodes the caskets from the inside out. The manufacturer is clearly responsible for this defect and should provide the repair at no cost.

- , Atlantic Beach, FL, USA

Feb 212007

Monte Carlo SE 3.1L

this car was well maintained on a regular basis, and i hear the 50 thousand mile coolant was the cause, thats what i get for buying american. never again

- , Spring Hill, FL, USA