1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Feb 011999

Monte Carlo

The center/side rear view mirrors have blind spots. There is an area on the left side in which a vehicle approaching from the rear left side is not visible from either the center or left rear view mirrors. This blind spot is located approximately such that a vehicle located with its right bumper six feet behind and six feet to the left of my left rear bumper is not visible. The only way I can see a vehicle in such a position is to take my eyes off the road and turn my head to the left. Otherwise, anytime I make a left lane change to my left, there is a risk of a collision in which I never saw the other vehicle. There is a similar situation with the center/right rear view mirrors. I have determined these facts by moving my car in a parking lot past stationary vehicles and observing the image of the stationary vehicle in my rear view mirrors. I assume that the mirrors on the Monte Carlo are typical and that this problem exists on all automobiles. The mirrors on my car are in good working order so that this is problem is not due to a malfunction. This problem is due to design defect. The problem can be eliminated by careful layout of the mirrors and employing simple geometrical optics.

- Dallas, TX, USA