1.9

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 212015

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that there were strong fumes of fuel and oil outside and inside the vehicle. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling) and the dealer was unable to determine when the parts and permanent remedy would become available to repair the vehicle within a reasonable time frame. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and was unable to determine a specific date that the vehicle would receive the part to the dealer. The failure mileage was not available. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 212015

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number; 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a fuel odor from the hood. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Feb 162010

Monte Carlo

The contact owned a 2001 Monte Carlo. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the hood of the vehicle. The contact stated that the key was removed from the ignition. Moments later, the contact discovered that fire and smoke was coming from under the hood of the vehicle. The contact stated that the fire department extinguished the fire. No injuries were reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling) after the failure occurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Jul 192015

Monte Carlo

I got into the vehicle to go to church Sunday with my mother-in-law. I turned the key in the ignition and there was an explosion from under the hood that made the hood jump and some smoke came out of the sides. It scared my mother-in-law half to death. Our company mechanic checked the engine and determined the intake had exploded. He checked on-line as to a probable cause and discovered there was a recall on various Pontiac, Buick and Chevy vehicles with 3.8L engines due to intake explosions due to faulty fuel pressure regulators. In some cases it seems to have bent a fuel rail and pulled an injector out of the head, which it looks to have done to mine also. He towed the vehicle to the dealership and they told him there were 3 recalls listed for this car and that was not one of them. One of the listed recalls was for the ignition which we took it in for and it still sticks. Our mechanic checked your web-site and did find recalls for this explosion problem. Some of the statements people posted about this happening resulted in fires as well as the explosion so this seems to be a significant hazard. Why is our car not listed with the dealer for this recall ? though it is titled as a 2001 it was manufactured in 09/00 so seems it should be included in the recall, especially since it did the exact same thing as the others. They want over $700 to fix the intake, regulator and gasket and I should not be liable for what is apparently a manufacturers defect, and that's if it didn't cause more damage when it exploded.

- Youngstown, FL, USA

Feb 032015

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the key was difficult to turn over to start the vehicle. The contact exited the vehicle and, upon further inspection under the hood, it was noticed that there was a fire near the engine compartment which burned various components. The parts that fractured ejected from the vehicle in flames. The driver did not sustain any injuries and a police report was not filed. The contact was able to get a fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for further inspection. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V116000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 132,000.

- Bourg, LA, USA

Oct 092014

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, there was an abnormal noise and the engine stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The contact stated that while attempting to tow the vehicle to a dealer, the tow truck driver started the vehicle and it caught on fire. A police/fire report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 212014

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 140,000. The VIN was not available.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Jul 012004

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

My security system has gone on spuradically for years and I have no idea why. I have paid several times X3 for a wrecker serfvices to come and activate my car so it would run. Also as I have learned about recalls recntly I had to replace the upper gasget manifold due to it leaking oil due to a plastic gasket instead of a rubber gasket. This ran me more than 900 dollars. I have never received a recall notice for any defect/recall on my monte despite buying it new in 10/2002. Please send me directly any recalls on my vehicle that have occurred. Thx

- Same, MI, USA

Jul 162009

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start unless the key was shaken in the ignition. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the head gasket needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 110,597. Updated 9/11/14 the consumer stated the vehicle should be put on a recall list for faulty ignition. The vehicle should be added to all former recall list that exist or existed for the model. The consumer requested for the vehicle to be repaired and to be reimbursed for what has already been repaired. Updated 1/20/2015

- Lizmores, WV, USA

Mar 052014

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the intake manifold exploded without warning. The vehicle was not yet diagnosed. The dealer and manufacture were not alerted of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Lemont Furnace, PA, USA

Mar 112009

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2001 Monte Carlo ss. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where the mechanic stated he could only diagnose the failure if the warning indicator light was illuminated. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the failure occurred three times over a period of five years. The mechanic also diagnosed that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 96,745.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Jan 082014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that upon starting the vehicle, the intake manifold shattered. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the failure could not be diagnosed but the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000. Updated 02/27/14 updated 02/27/14

- Ardara, PA, USA

Dec 182013

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Upon attempting to start my car, the engine made a loud bang and saw some smoke coming out from the sides of the hood. I then noticed in the reflection of some water on the street and orange glow. I got out of the car, saw fire under the car, and called 911.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Nov 182013

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I purchased a used 2001 Monte Carlo ss 3.8L October 2011. The recall #2009047 engine compartment fire notice arrived in August 2012. Two spark plug retainers were installed at the dealer September 18, 2012 for no charge. On November 18, 2013, the car was parked for a few hours from 11 am until 2:45 pm, then after driving a short distance (less than 8 miles) on the highway, the car was parked in the lot of a pharmacy. Noticeable smoke began to emanate from under the sides of the hood. The hood remained cool to the touch. Immediately after the hood was lifted, the entire engine compartment was engulfed in fire. Two police officers just happened to be on the scene at the time. They kept us away from the vehicle and prevented us from any attempts to use an extinguisher on the fire. It burned until the firefighters arrived a few minutes later and put it out. The car still looked great with the hood closed. Except for a cracked windshield, there was no visible damage to the interior, exterior, or tires. Everything in the engine compartment was completely destroyed. The insurance company totaled it out.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Jun 132010

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I've had this automobile for several years now and without knowing the intake gaskets leak in the 3.8 engines. I was unaware of this severe condition. I should of been told of this issue when I purchase the car from the dealer since this is an ongoing problem with many of the Chevy Monte carlos 3.8 and I believe the 3.4 also. It will cost me about $480 to repair which I do not have and should not be responsible for this Chevrolet ongoing issue. I had very scary moment one time it started running hot and smoke was coming off the engine as the fluid was seeping out of the gasket and dripping down the side of the engine which caused a small flame. This such a dangerous problem and I should not be liable for this dangerous defect in the engine.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

Oct 032012

Monte Carlo

I bought the car with no problem then all of a sudden it started with hard starting now it doesn't want to start at all. I brought it to a mechanic and they just pointed at stuff and then blamed the remote start and told me to change my ignition module it didn't fix the problem bought brand new plugs and wires and that didn't fix it then they told me to change the computer and that made no difference. They first told me to change the ignition switch and it cost me 180 dollars then I had to buy a blinker switch witch was also around 190 dollars this is money I don't have. And now im on foot because my car wont start and I need help I have no idea who knows how to work on cars were I live. I need somewhere that they know wiring or something, just help. I have no more money and I just need to have this stupid problem fixed. I also have a problem were the car will die out at a certain speed or when I let off the gas. I almost was hit by another car when this happened.

- Dunseith, ND, USA

Nov 222012

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I was stopped at a red light at the intersection of 31st street and la grange highway when I noticed smoke coming from under the hood of my car. I pulled into the cit-go gas station thinking my Monte Carlo was over heating. Then, flames began to come from the under the hood. I immediately called 911 and the la grange park police and fire department came within minutes. They had to saw my hood open to put the fire out and I immediately contacted GM. They notified me that my vehicle is in fact a recall and was negligent in sending me the registered vehicle owner any sort of notice of recall. GM is denying fault and refuses to repair the vehicle or grant any sort of responsibility or compensation. Although they are responsible for the manufacturer defect they still refuse liability.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 142010

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the catalytic converter became clogged and caused the vehicle to stall. The contact took the vehicle to a local mechanic to have the catalytic converter replaced but two years after the repair, the catalytic converter failure recurred. The failure mileage was 63,000. The VIN was not available.

- Stratford, NJ, USA