3.5

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Nov 182008

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact noticed a leak in her garage underneath the vehicle, which was found to be water and coolant. She took the vehicle to her regular mechanic, who replaced the plastic intake manifold gasket with a rubber gasket. The contact was informed that the failure was common with her type of vehicle and was referred to the dealer. The dealer was aware of the failure, but could not assist. The manufacturer has not yet been notified. The current and failure mileages were approximately 54,000. Updated 12/11/08 updated 12/11/08.

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Feb 112006

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle caught fire. When the ignition was turned on there was a loud explosion. The hood was opened to extinguish the fire. The fire department was not contacted. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for inspection. Upon inspection the plastic pressure regulator gauge was cracked which caused gas to pool in the intake area. The dealer replaced the pressure regulator gauge. Updated 3/28/2006 -

- Boonville, MO, USA

Aug 232005

Monte Carlo

I guess I'm the lucky one my car seems to have almost every complaint listed. The side air bag continuously tries to escape from it's seat. Several months ago my blinkers started to work only as they felt like it, having read consumer complaints, I tried turning on the hazard lights when they wouldn't function, this would remedy the blinker problem for a short time. However, now my blinkers don't work at all and my hazards don't either. About the same time my car began shutting off at various speeds with no warning. Then I went about 1 1/2 months with no stalling problems. This week my car has shut off daily making it very difficult to steer, stop and feel safe, especially with no hazards. The car will go to the Chevy dealer today, we'll see what they say. I think that it's important to note that when the car shuts down you often don't have enough coasting time to get safely to the side of the road, especially on a 3 or more lane highway.

- White Plains, MD, USA

Jul 082004

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Series of high cost repairs at my expense with no warranty: Driver infomation center has always been wrong and inaccurate and unfixable; at 24446 miles, replaced front rotors at my expense (; ac at 30825 worked intermittenly and battery light indicator stayed on and serpentine belt worn out (replaced with after market brand ($90) that has lasted perfectly at almost 80,000 miles; engine coolant leak notice by Chevrolet on July 2003 fixed on 7/30-03 at 58009miles; at 34607 vibration from intermid. Steering shaft and bushing replaced ($60); vibration back at 75,000miles and they would not fix it; chev diagnosis on 7/8/04 for left rear wheel speed sensor needs left rear wheel hub assembly (ABS brakes will not work and not fixed, $700) and turn signals work intermittenly (not fixed) and ac compressor leaking (not fixed, $900), and driver seat power seat heater defective (not fixed, $230).

- Camdenton, MO, USA

Apr 152003

Monte Carlo

Windsheld wipers park straight up vertical. Heater resistor failed. Check engine light always on. Steering wheel rattles when cornering slowly. Light always on saying antifreeze low despite it not being low. Too much bass in radio rough shifts. Brake pads done at 70,000km seems to be falling apart as soon as warranty was up.

- Smiths Falls, UN, USA

Apr 152003

- Smiths Falls, UN, USA

Dec 152002

Monte Carlo

My 2001 Monte Carlo ss developed a leak between the upper plastic intake manifold and lower aluminium intake manifold. I stopped at a dealer and asked them about it and they said they knew of no problem but when I asked them how much to repair they replied about $800 without looking at the car. I contacted GM customer service and they told me to take the car to a dealer for an estimate, which I did. They then talked with the dealer and came to the conclusion that there was nothing they could do for me. In the meantime I did some research and found that this is a common problem with a technical service bulletin out on it. GM customer service and the dealer said that since this is not a safety issue nothing could be done because the car is out of warranty and that I should have purchased the extended warranty. So I was stuck paying a garage $880 to replace both manifolds as directed in the tsb and the worry that my year and a half old car my launch its motor at anytime due to the contamination of the oil with antifreeze from the leak.

- Stafford, VA, USA