2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Oct 162013

Monte Carlo

While backing out of the driveway the ABS lite came on with warning bells along with the service traction light and trac turned off. Later as I was driving on freeway with these lights on it began to make a grinding noise. I pulled onto the service road and the brakes failed to stop the car so I blew thru the stop sign and pulled into a lot. I turned the car off and let it sit a few minutes. When I restarted I was able to return home with all the lights on. Since then the brakes have been serviced, the tie rod ends replaced, a number of failed repair attempts and $2000 later, same problem. After every trip to the mechanic and 500 plus dollars the problem comes back in about a month. This car often will not start, dead as a door nail. By leaving the key in the ignition, turning it to on and not touching anything for ten minutes, it will reset and start right up. Replacing starter does not solve problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 102013

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Hello I was told I could complain to you and possibly get refunded. My car currently has about 76,900 miles on it. My brake line rusted out on me, and I had $700 of work done on my brakes, at monroe in lowell, MA, on chelmsford St. (rt. 110). I was told I could complain about my entire brakes rusting out here. Thanks for your time...updated 07/15/14 updated 3/23/2015

- Dracut, MA, USA

Apr 012014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I went to turn and my service traction control and ABS lights came on. While turning, I lost power to the breaks and felt and heard a grinding/whining noise in the brakes and could not stop. The vehicle now has a whining noise when turning without braking at all.

- Union, KY, USA

Aug 202011

Monte Carlo

I was driving (with my children in car) and the car just shut off. I had no power brakes or power steering. Luckily, one child was in drivers ed & knew to put car in neutral & we coasted to a stop. Once I calmed down, I drove my monte ss to the dealer and described what happened. The kept car for a week and insisted there was nothing wrong! I drive 1-3 hrs for work daily and I didn't trust the vehicle on interstate. I purchased another vehicle 6 days later but gave this car to my child for in town driving. I was never the wiser until I heard about the recall yesterday & it's description. The monte should be involved in recall too. I was preparing to purchase a new Impala but now I believe GM is still not being honest about all the makes & models involved with ignition problems.

- Lincoln, IL, USA