2. replace bcm board (1 reports)
  3. unhooking the battery resets it (1 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Sep 042009

Monte Carlo Ss Dale Earnhardt

security light comes on and locke's me out car will not start and nobody seems to know how to fix it or what causes it I've had a new BCM put in didn't work,$591.00 new battery $241.00 dealer said i needed that too didn't work. Now they say i need a new Ignition switch and Lock Cylinder and not even sure that will do it.. I cant be the only person in the USA to have this problem and when the dealer doesn't even know what causes it what is a MONTE CARLO owner to do anyone have any IDEAS

- , Anchorage, AK, USA

Aug 202009

Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6

Ok let me start by saying that this ISSUE is not related to just the Monte Carlo but also the Impala and potentially the Grand Prix as they are the exact same car just different body moldings (2000-2004 models). As of today (9/16/2009) my car has not started twice. The first time was 8/20/2009. I have been "lucky" in that I have not experienced all of the issues that the Impala owners have encountered. My Security idiot light will illuminate about once a week and will stay on until I shut the car off. Once I turn the car off it and start it back up the light will be gone. What I have found out with the car not turning on is that if I roll it out on to the driveway which is at a slight incline it will start. Both times my car has not started it has been in the morning when I am trying to go to work (very inconvenient). Luckily I have a very understanding employer. My mechanic is going to replace the BCM as we have both spent numerous hours trying to figure out what is going on here. Most people have stated success with replacing this and checking all of the connections associated with it. The BCM is about $175 so DO NOT let the dealership try to charge you more than that as I know they like to overcharge. I will update my complaint once I know if the BCM has fixed the issue or not. Also people have noted that there is a resistor or something on the keypass that gets corroded from oxidization due to GM using tin connectors. Might want to check that out too. Please also look at the Impala page as there are almost 200 complaints.

Please call GM "customer care" and file a complaint as it is the only way we may get this issue recalled! The number is 1-800-222-1020

Update from Sep 28, 2009: I had my mechanic replace the BCM board. I got the car back and I had numerous issues with the car from the dome lights not coming on to the dash lights being really low and the service vechicle soon light being on. I called my mechanic who took the part out and ordered another BCM board. Apparently the one he put in was faulty (imagine that). As of today (9/28/2009) my car is working perfectly (knock on wood) and I have not had any additional issues. Because my mechanic is a friend I have not been charged any money yet. He is letting my drive the vehicle for a couple weeks to see if it works before we go further. I do know that the BCM board only costs about $175 so don't let the dealership charge you more.

Now on another note I have read probably 200 complaints on this and some people have done the exact same thing I have with no success. This issue may not be resolved by replacing the BCM board. Best of luck!

- , Shoreview, MN, USA

Jul 012009

Monte Carlo SS 3.8L

f*cking pisses me off, its a nice model and has plenty of power but this f*cking electrical problems. my cluster gauges are a mess, i take it to a dealer to fix it and they have the balls to tell me it test OK then charge me 165.00 for an hour then they wave at me. had no problems with dodge or fords.

- , Towaoc, CO, USA

Jun 232009

Monte Carlo 3800

Car will not start-security light comes on windows and sunroof do work, sometimes locks me out of the radio. once I am able to get it to start the battery warning will go off and drop to 0 and then within minutes will go back up and then drops back to 0. for some odd reason this is never a problem in the morning just in the evening

- , Clarkston, MI, USA

Mar 172009

Monte Carlo LS 3.4L

There are hundreds of the same complaint about the Impalas. So far, mine always starts but who knows. The dash lights are also out and the turn signals quit working occasionally. I've had the intake manifold gasket replaced also. Class action suit for this finally paid off. Just paid this car off in Feb. Should have known!

- , Harrodsburg, KY, USA

May 212007

Monte Carlo SS V6

The car will not start. The security light is flashing and the radio says "locked". The windows, moonroof, and door locks will operate if the car is turned to accessory.

- , Arlington, TX, USA