2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 272014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo ss and I am having electrical issues the windshield wipers don't always function properly neither do the turning signals my seats will move on there own, there is a ticking noise coming from the doors once keys are taken out of the ignition also I have a problem when pumping gas into the car the pump keeps shutting off unless I hold it at a certain angle.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 122012

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Since I have owned the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ss. I have experienced many glitches with the electrical system in this car. First of all the cruise control light would come on without being selected and then I would begin to notice that if the cruise control light was on the heating/cooling system would not come on. The turn signals would not operate. I also began to notice that the anti theft system would engage and shut down the car preventing it from starting up. The ignition would just click but never engage. This has continue to happen off and on for the last 2 years. I have replaced the alternator, the battery, the starter. The cooling fans, the thermostat and serviced other areas but this still happens. I found out that there are many other owners of the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ss who are experiencing the same problems. I purchased my car used but there are owner who purchased their vehicles new and have continuously experienced electrical malfunctions with their vehicles as well. I feel GM should be responsible for the shoddy workmanship they did on this vehicle from the date it was manufactured.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Nov 222012

Monte Carlo

My 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo has been experiencing electrical problems since I have owned it. The cruise control comes on without being selected and then the heating/cooling systems goes off and on by itself. The turn signal goes on and off. Sometimes it will work sometimes it will not. The fuel gauge does not register correctly goes up and down so I am never sure what is in the tank. Occasionally the car will not start at all even though the lights work, the radio plays, and everything else will operate inside the car. I will sit and wait a while. After about 15-25 minutes I will try to start it and then it will start up. This has been happening more and more. I have talked to other Chevy Monte Carlo owner and they have had the same problems with their car.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Oct 172007

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was restarted and functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the body control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred twice. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Feb 082011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I started the car up and I heard a pop and saw a blue flame. After repairing the car costing $3240.74 it once again caught another fire please help.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Dec 012011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I was driving and smoke came from the shift.

- Breaux Bridge, LA, USA

Aug 292012

Monte Carlo

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo ss I go out to start my car and it won't start for about 15 minutes. The security light comes on to. When I turn the key it does nothing my lights and everything work it just won't start. If there is anyway I could get help please let me know or let me know what I can do to fix this. Thank you!

- Gallipolis, OH, USA

Jul 302011

Monte Carlo

I just recently bought a 2002 Monte Carlo ss and I was driving home one night with my brights on at 55 mph and all of a sudden my headlights went out and I could see nothing! I tried safely and quickly pull over on the shoulder to stop the car until I was able to see if I could make my headlights come back on so I could get home. I was able to turn my dims on and see where the road was. Since this ordeal happened I have noticed that the interior lights flicker on and off at random times and for no reason it has done in quite a few times and still continues to do it.

- Homer, MI, USA

Nov 232010

Monte Carlo

I have a 2002 3.8 Monte Carlo ss. I am currently having problems with my ignition. When I try to start my car all the instruments turn on but the engine does not start. I attempted several times to restart the vehicle, but I still have the same problem. Then I put the car in drive and returned it to park position several times. After about a few minutes the car started. I have been having this problem for awhile.

- Fresno , CA, USA

May 042010

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated the vehicle was experiencing a recurring failure which the vehicle failed to start. The contact also stated that the radio and headlights would intermittently fail while driving at any speed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed the vehicle was experiencing an electrical failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 137,066.

- South Bend, IN, USA

Oct 022010

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The contact owns a owns a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Upon starting the vehicle, the contact noticed that none of the gauges on the instrument panel were functioning. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where the contact was informed that the failure was due to a wiring malfunction. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 80,000. Updated 2/17/11 updated 02/23/11

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Jul 302005

Monte Carlo

3 new fuel pump rails installed from recall ( gas gauge does not work). The problem still occurs, the gauge works for a small amount of time after new fuel rail is installed, then fails, leaving no way to check the amount of fuel left in the tank.

- Newark, DE, USA

Jun 012009

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I have a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ls. About 1 year ago my turn signals quit working randomly. It seemed to be the worst on hot days. I would leave my home or work with them working properly and then at a random point during my drive they would no longer work. GM has recalled other makes and models for similar problems. However, the Monte carlos have never been recalled. After searching for a potential solution to this problem, I have found that it seems to be a very common problem on many similar cars that GM makes. Most people have said that it is related to the hazard switch in the dash board. This is a relatively cheap fix however it is also a major safety hazard since I never know when the turn signals will or will not work. It seems to be luck of the draw, which is very dangerous. Thank you for your consideration on this problem.

- Ridgeville, IN, USA

Oct 102009

Monte Carlo

On my way to work on my normal route before dawn, driving down a narrow curvy rural road rife with deer, I flicked on my high beams as usual. About 5 seconds later I lost all my headlights. Somehow safely pulled off road without falling into the ditch and turned off vehicle. After several minutes of turning lights on and off the fog lamps came on and I was able to make it back home very slowly. Spent $1000 getting a control module replaced. Had trouble with turn signals quitting randomly for 3 years, have to turn on emergency flashers in order to get them to work. Another $500 will fix the problem but since the car is only worth $1500 it doesn't seem worth it. This car is a piece of junk - 2 transmissions, numerous electrical problems, 5 steering shaft replacements...

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 202009

Monte Carlo

Loss of traction control and anti lock brakes in my car. My vehicle has allowed these safety features to quit working and after replacing the parts that the dealer said needed to be replaced, the vehicle's system does not recognize the new sensor and part, thus not allowing the traction control and ABS to work. After researching this on the internet, it seems to be a very common problem in GM vehicles.

- Ashville, OH, USA

Jan 202009

Monte Carlo

Is there a recall for the instrument panel on a 2002 Monte Carlo ss? my gauges stopped working today and I was told there may be a recall.

- Benton, WI, USA

Oct 012007

Monte Carlo

Turn signal failure: Beginning in 2005 through to 2007 the turn signals would work intermittently. While under warranty the vehicle was taken to the dealership. They indicated that there was no problem. Once warranty was expired there was nothing I could do. I did find that turning the hazard signals on for 5-10 seconds would sometimes correct the problem and the turn signal would work. Finally after many hours searching the internet I found several postings indicating that there was a faulty hazard light switch, the turn signals are also controlled by the hazard light switch. In October 2007 I spent $399 to have the hazard light switch repaired. Please insist that the dealership replace the hazard light switch and not add on additional parts like the turn signal arm etc. My dealership first quoted me $850 stating that the turn signal arm must also be replaced to correct the issue. Since the repair all is fine. I do believe that GM/Chevrolet should be responsible for the cost of repair since it is a defect in their design.

- St. Catharines, 00, USA

Jul 202007

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

My wife owns a 2002 Monte Carlo with 60,00 miles on it that shuts down no notice, just like you turned the key off. The last episode was at 68 mph on an interstate. I managed to coast the car over to the edge of the highway under an over pass, but it was a terrifying event.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Feb 032007

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

TL *- the contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. On February 3, 2007 the contact started the vehicle, then turned it off quickly after realizing she had forgotten something in her home. The contact went back inside the home, then returned to the vehicle. The contact started the vehicle a second time and heard an explosion coming from under the vehicle loud enough that the neighbors came and offered assistance. While inside the vehicle the contact smelled smoke. The contact's husband opened the hood and witnessed a fire coming from the engine. The contact's husband used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. The vehicle was transported to the rizza Chevrolet 8200 South harlem ave, bridgeview il 60455, tel 708-594-9090 for service. The contact filed a complaint with GMC #71-478219613, and was told to wait 48 hours for an agent to be assigned to the case. The contact noted that there was a recall on the 2000 Monte Carlo models for similar problems, and this vehicle should be included in the recall. The consumer stated the failure maybe related to recall 04V0900000 updated 02/27/07.

- Palos Hills, IL, USA

Mar 262004

Monte Carlo

Problem with "no power" which caused inoperative operation to the vehicle. (nar)

- Eutaw, AL, USA