2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Mar 302014

Monte Carlo

TL- the contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, the engine compartment exploded then caught on fire. The contact sustained injuries to the achilles tendon after attempting to extinguish the fire. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The vehicle was being diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Lime Springs, IA, USA

Aug 202011

Monte Carlo

I was driving (with my children in car) and the car just shut off. I had no power brakes or power steering. Luckily, one child was in drivers ed & knew to put car in neutral & we coasted to a stop. Once I calmed down, I drove my monte ss to the dealer and described what happened. The kept car for a week and insisted there was nothing wrong! I drive 1-3 hrs for work daily and I didn't trust the vehicle on interstate. I purchased another vehicle 6 days later but gave this car to my child for in town driving. I was never the wiser until I heard about the recall yesterday & it's description. The monte should be involved in recall too. I was preparing to purchase a new Impala but now I believe GM is still not being honest about all the makes & models involved with ignition problems.

- Lincoln, IL, USA

Jan 312014

Monte Carlo

Went out to start car. Turned on key, set radio. Then turned key to start engine with a resulting loud explosion from under hood. In hurry to get up hood and extinguish fire experienced burns on hands from lifting hood and a fuel line that was squirting fuel/flames. Fire extinguisher extinguished flames. Upper intake manifold is blow apart with multiple sensors destroyed. Thank god this happened at home with an extinguisher handy and not driving down the road with no time to slow down.

- Teryvile, CT, USA

Nov 222012

Monte Carlo

My 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo has been experiencing electrical problems since I have owned it. The cruise control comes on without being selected and then the heating/cooling systems goes off and on by itself. The turn signal goes on and off. Sometimes it will work sometimes it will not. The fuel gauge does not register correctly goes up and down so I am never sure what is in the tank. Occasionally the car will not start at all even though the lights work, the radio plays, and everything else will operate inside the car. I will sit and wait a while. After about 15-25 minutes I will try to start it and then it will start up. This has been happening more and more. I have talked to other Chevy Monte Carlo owner and they have had the same problems with their car.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Jul 202013

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The plastic intake manifold cracked and the antifreeze went into the oil and the engine blew up in the middle of rush hour traffic.

- St.Charles, MO, USA

Feb 082011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I started the car up and I heard a pop and saw a blue flame. After repairing the car costing $3240.74 it once again caught another fire please help.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Dec 212012

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that as he attempted to start the vehicle, the intake manifold exploded without warning. A fire erupted and the contact was able to extinguish the fire. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and lodged a report for the failure. The failure mileage was 127,000.

- Clarksville, VA, USA

Aug 292012

Monte Carlo

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo ss I go out to start my car and it won't start for about 15 minutes. The security light comes on to. When I turn the key it does nothing my lights and everything work it just won't start. If there is anyway I could get help please let me know or let me know what I can do to fix this. Thank you!

- Gallipolis, OH, USA