5.6

1. removed and regreased intermediate steering shaft (3 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Jan 122007

Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6

My 2002 Monte Carlo SS developed a squeak and clunk in the steering column. It was taken back to the Chevy dealer and was told this wasn't unusual. The fix would be to replace the steering wheel column. Cost of new steering wheel column is approximately $1,000 plus labor. If this isn't unusual and Chevrolet knows about it, it should be a recall item. As it was explained to me the small universal joint at the bottom of the column usually wears causing excess movement. I did not get this fix because of the cost.

- , Whitaker, PA, USA

Nov 012006

Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6

Had this intermediate shaft fixed twice, and it is still doing it. I f*cking give up! I'll just drive around a Monte Carlo with a clunky intermediate shaft! They said it's not a safety hazard just an annoyance.

- , Millville, NJ, USA

Nov 082007

Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6

I told the dealer of the problem with my car a few times,each time they told me nothing was wrong.

I had the same problem with my 2001 Impala,which they fixed under warranty

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 262007

Monte Carlo SS

some days it seems to be worse than others with the clunking as you're turning a corner. definitely annoying and not sure if its unsafe to drive or what. no one knows how to fix it. and i don't want to dump thousands of dollars into the car when someone is just guessing as to the problem.

- , Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jan 052007

Monte Carlo SS 3.8L

2002 Monte Carlo Pace Car with approx 22,000 miles. Experienced clunking sound and loose feeling and vibration in steering wheel while making turns in either direction. Chevy dealer told me it was a known complaint and a TSB was issued on it. I read on Monte Carlo web sites that there was a temporary fix for this problem by re-greasing the intermediate steering shaft (ISS) but it wasnt a permanent solution! Apparently there are many reoccurring problems after having this greasing done and its a temp fix! Cost me $150.00 to have the shaft removed from the car..... cleaned and regreased.... reinstalled and tested out.... so far its been aprox 1 month since having it done and its still ok. I think there should be a recall on this problem and that customers shouldnt be charged for repair since its a known GM issue on several of their models and years!

- , Union, NJ, USA