2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 252008

Monte Carlo

Speedometer does not work, it might read 35mph when your are going 55mph, or it might read 99mph when your going 55mph. Sometimes it stay at 35 mph when you stop, and starts from there.

- New Waterford, OH, USA

Mar 012009

Monte Carlo

Instrument cluster failure, loss of speedometer and other gauges.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 252008

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the speedometer in the vehicle suddenly stopped working. The speedometer dial randomly moves up and down regardless of the speed. The speedometer has displayed 60 mph when the vehicle was at a stop sign, as well as 15 mph when the contact was really traveling at least 60 mph. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop and they stated that the instrument cluster panel was the cause of the failure. Currently, the dial remains at zero. The contact believes that the manufacturer should be responsible for this defect because she is unable to determine what speed she is traveling. The failure mileage was 70,000 and current mileage was 71,000.

- Freemont, WI, USA

May 142008

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. While driving approximately 65 mph, the speedometer dial moved back and forth inadvertently. The contact continued to drive the vehicle for approximately one year and the failure continued intermittently. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The VIN was unknown. The current mileage was 60,700 and failure mileage was 45,000.

- Colchester, IL, USA

Nov 212006

Monte Carlo

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo gauge cluster is erratic and does not work properly I did receive a recall for my 2004 Chevy Silverado for the same problem but am not having any problems with that vehicle dealership told me they should have a recall on all 2004 models as they are all made at the same manufacturer.

- Plainwell, MI, USA

Jan 022009

Monte Carlo

My oil pressure gage went out then my tachometer went out and now the speedometer went out.

- Debary, FL, USA

Jun 052008

Monte Carlo

The gas gauge along with other areas in my dash seem to have a short because it works on and off.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 012008

Monte Carlo

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo that has recently had issues with the instrument cluster. The speedometer is erratic, from observing a blog I noticed that this is not an uncommon issue. I am looking for some help with this repair as I understand that the instrument cluster can be rather expensive and since this does not appear to be a unique problem caused by me. I also understand that this repair needs to be made by a dealer, there are 2 local dealers which I have purchased from and would be happy to bring this problem to them, but I would have some issues with the cost of a new instrument panel not so much with the cost of labor. I would like to resolve this issue quickly before I start getting any speeding tickets I also believe this constitutes a safety risk since I can not accurately determine my speed.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Dec 032008

Monte Carlo

Purchased '04 Monte Carlo ss August 2007 (23,713 miles). The instrument panel gauges began getting stuck, going completely around and simply do not work. Began at approx 38-39,000 miles. Paid over 1,600 for ext warranty and add'L 300 for 'fixing' the problem. Still broken and Chevy doesn't recall! also heated seats are getting scalding hot.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

May 202008

Monte Carlo

Instrument cluster gauges are not reading correctly. It started with the gas gauge and has now progressed to all gauges in error. Have talked to others and looked on the internet and discovered that this is a very common failure. I consider this a hazard since speed and engine condition cannot be determined. I have not taken it to the dealer yet.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Aug 192008

Monte Carlo

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo ls and about 6 months ago the speedometer would not display the correct speed and now it doesn't work at all. I have dealt with it and paid an issued speeding ticket. Today the temperature gauge was reading hot. I immediately panicked and pulled over wondering why my car would be over heating after only 2 miles worth of driving. I sat for about 5 minutes before opening the hood. The vehicle was not hot and had coolant. When I got in to continue my drive I started the engine and the temperature gauge went all the way past hot to the 9 O'clock position where it is now stuck resting against the fuel gauge. Im now afraid of driving the vehicle specially if the next gauge goes too. The repair must be done at the dealership and they want 500-1500 dollars. I am a parent of 6 and do not have that money. I have noticed this is such a big issue with this car. I just wish I would have known about it before I bought it. I want to know why there is no recall on this dangerous problem with my vehicle.

- Hudson, FL, USA

Jan 162005

Monte Carlo

My 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo dash board just stop working GM did nothing to fix this problem I am still driving without any dash board instruments and they wonder why americans buy Honda this is the last Chevy for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Grandview, MO, USA

Sep 152008

Monte Carlo

Driving down the highway and temp gauge suddenly goes in circles and finally stops below the cold temp, less than where the needle usually is when you first start up the car. Does not go back to working, coolant sensor is ok, according to Chevy dealer, need whole new cluster instrument panel.

- Horatio, AR, USA

Nov 042007

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the speedometer would go to 30 mph when the vehicle was turned off. When the vehicle was turned on, the speedometer would read 35 mph even though he was driving 65 mph. The failure has been occurring for a year and the vehicle was taken to the dealer. The contact stated that this was a safety issue because the vehicle travels at speeds that are not within regulation and could lead to speeding tickets and crashes. The current mileage was 39,000 and failure mileage was 33,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Jan 122007

Monte Carlo

All dash gauges have failed (one at a time) including speedometer (which was the last gauge to fail on 7-21-08). Trunk release (electronic) failed. Have been told the only way to get dash cluster repaired is through a dealer. Dealer refuses to sell necessary part to a certified mechanic.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 282008

Monte Carlo

Speedometer went haywire back in Feb 2008. Would read many mph higher than current speed. Would read 30-40mph at idle or when shut off. Took car to Chevy dealer. They testing it and found nothing wrong but was told it would be $500 to replace if it happens again. It worked fine until today when the problem returned. Did some research online and found many 2004 Chevy owners (Monte Carlo's and Impala's) with same problem. GM does not appear to want to do anything. Research asked anyone with similar problem to report to GM and NHTSA.

- Shoemakersville, PA, USA

Dec 062006

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The speedomter and RPM gauges work irratically, and are not accurate. There were no signs that this was starting it just one day started for no apparent reason. I have spoken to serveral owners of the 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo's in my area, and all have the same problems. Chevrolet needs to recall these dash clusters.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Apr 012006

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving 40 mph, the vehicle lost power without warning. No dash panel lights illuminated to indicate a failure. The engine was easily restarted, but the vehicle was taken to a dealer for inspection. A diagnostic test was performed which indicated the fuel relay connector hose was loose. Although this was repaired, the problem persisted. The vehicle is currently at the dealership awaiting further inspection. Updated on 05/16/2006. The brakes pulsated while braking. The dealer replaced the rotors because the were pitted and warped. They also replaced the rear brakes.

- Woodbury, NJ, USA

Nov 102004

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Warped dashboard in my 2004 Monte Carlo, radio face also gets blistering hot, trunk lid open appears all the time on dash, too K to dealer, trunk lid fixed new dash installed 3 days later dash warped worse than before and both side pillars now cracked, brakes still noisy and pedal to the floor, dealer states normal. Scheduling for my second dashboard, and still no answers on why you cant touch the radio.

- Richmond, VA, USA