4.3

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments

Jul 052011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

No complaint inquiry into data base.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 012011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Have a 2004 Monte Carlo. Sporadically when driving the speedometer continues to climb. I was following my husband who was doing 45mph and and I was doing 105 then 114 then 120 then 140 then it dropped straight down. It sometimes resets it self and other times it stays like that for days. The car has 42,234 miles on it.

- Andover, OH, USA

Oct 102010

Monte Carlo

At approximately 57,000 (October 2010) the speedometer would read either zero miles per hour or 120 miles per hour while driving. It would move erratically while driving showing anywhere from zero to 120 mph. Then it started working again. In January 2011 the speedometer started acting erratically again and has been doing so continually. Sometimes it seems accurate but I don't know for sure. I consider it a safety problem due to not knowing how fast I am going. When on the freeway I gauge my speed by other drivers. If I use my gps I am constantly looking away from the road to see what my speed is and it is harder to read on the gps. I contacted Chevrolet through email and they did not reply.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 032009

Monte Carlo

Speedometer doesn't work most of the time. It will freeze or go to 0 at any time or at any speed. This is a G.M. problem that has resulted in recalls on some SUV's but not any cars. If you were to google G.M speedometer problems you will get over 200,000 hits. Dealers know the problem exists but G.M is denying it is a safety problem. I have to assume when you are driving a car and don't know how fast you are going that is a safety issue. G.M customer service says there may be a recall someday if they get enough complaints...the car in question is a 2004 with 9500 miles. I feel this is something that needs to be researched. To recall some trucks and SUV's but not the cars is stupid. I would hope our gov't can help resolve this problem...after all G.M would like our tax dollars. Thank you

- Fort Myers, FL, USA